Silence

The Girl who Cried Wolf

“Pick a card.” Kris said with his poker face on.

Jaerin looked up at him for a brief moment and picked one reluctantly. She couldn’t be much bothered but since Kris insisted, she merely played along. Kris took her card and placed it quickly at the top of the deck. His eyes were fixated on the deck of cards and she thought he looked quite cute. That was because he was actually quite nervous on the inside but was still faking he’s cool about it. She knew him too well, just like how he knew her inside out.

“Is this your card?” he finally asked.

Jaerin nodded simply but the smug smile on Kris’ face grew wider. Jaerin raised a brow at him and snatched the deck over. She spread the cards on the table professionally and looked up at the surprised Kris.

“You. Took this, placed it here and stuck it in here. And with the alternate cards dished, you found my card. Right?” She saw through his trick effortlessly.

Kris’ face changed out of embarrassment and Jaerin smirked when she knew she got it right. Placing the deck in his hands, she mused, “There is no magic in this world.”

Every magic has a trick behind it.

Kris shoved the cards in his pocket, contemplating to burn the magic disc lying in his apartment. He turned around and shouted to Jaerin who was back-facing him.

“Yah, Park Jaerin! I’m not going home with you today! I have club activities on.”

Jaerin nodded and waved it off as she walked on.

Sitting in the classroom alone, Jaerin sighed. She didn’t want to return home too soon so she had decided to stay behind. However, it turned out that the four walls back home and the ones in school made no difference. She absolutely hated the deafening silence around her. Although she despised the noisy environment, she had never really enjoyed silence. She would scoff whenever she saw students with many friends hanging around them, shouting and laughing like nobody’s business. It irked her and she wondered how many were actually true friends. But still silence is scary and suffocating to her since before. This is because when silence engulfed her, she always feels like she is the only one left on this world, and she loathed it.

Sliding her cellphone out of her blazer pocket, she felt the dangling keychain brush against her skin. Tapping on the screen rapidly, she sent out one message. Lying on the table, she waited for a reply. She could clearly hear the classroom clock ticking away second by second. Closing her eyes, she allowed herself to be lost in time. She waited, and waited. Then, her phone vibrated. The person replied her.

 

To: Lay

Entertain me?

 

To: Jaerin

Uhm… Are you still in school? I’m about to leave school.

 

To: Lay

Wait for me at the main school gates.

 

Picking her bag, Jaerin made a dash for the classroom door. She fixed her hair along the way as she sped down the stairs. She wondered why she was running too. However, the feeling in her heart was indescribable as she ran on. It felt new, comfortable and fun. A beautiful smile graced her lips unconsciously as she reached near the school gates. Slowing down, she pretended to walk. She didn’t want to look desperate in Lay’s eyes. She spotted him from afar so she sneaked up from behind.

“Hey.” Lay said as he turned behind before Jaerin could strike.

Her eyes widened, surprised at how he knew she was going to strike. He smiled and was not intending to tell her.

“Why did you ask me to wait up?” he asked cautiously.

“Want to go out?” she suggested with a hopeful smile.

Thinking of the latest incident, Lay wanted to refuse. However, the rare smile on her face guided him to another response. He nodded slightly and that wide smile appeared again. Just like the usual, she recomposed herself quickly.

“Then what are you waiting for?” she asked in an annoyed tone.

Lay chuckled at her poor attempt to hide her true emotions.

“Let’s go then.” He said as casted a last glance at the window screen, his accomplice.

Lay turned back to ensure Jaerin caught on but was met with Jaerin’s face right before his. She halted and was on tip toes. Their faces were extremely close and the scene looked totally scandalous before the school gates. Dramatically put, the two froze and were staring into each other’s eyes. Luhan’s words voiced in Lay’s mind: “Yixing, I don’t want you to be next victim.”
With that, he coughed awkwardly before turning about. Jaerin rested on her heels quickly and hurried along.

‘Yah, Park Jaerin. Why were you acting like a little girl who have not had her first love ?!” She scolded herself mentally.

The feeling seemed to be just right.

“Welcome!” The shopkeeper greeted.

The two stopped before the glass display and studied the flavours in the tubs. There was a wide selection available in store and all of them looked delicious. Jaerin tapped her chin thoughtfully as she tried to decide between 3 flavours.

“What are you buying?” she inquired.

“Chocolate mint. You?” Lay replied.   

“I want mango sherbet, Belgian chocolate and tropical berries. Which two should I get?” she asked for his opinion.

“All.” He said with a smile before walking up to the counter.

“Can I have a cup of mango sherbet and chocolate mint? The other regular cup I wish to have Belgian chocolate and tropical berries in it. Thank you.” He ordered in fluent English.

The cashier passed them the two cups and flashed a smile in Jaerin’s direction.

“Your boyfriend is too sweet.” She complimented cutely.

Jaerin did not bother to correct her as she flashed a weak smile at her. Lay cleared his throat uncomfortably but said nothing too. It felt weird to clarify when the girl didn’t even bother to correct but he was going to. They settled themselves in a cozy corner of the ice-cream shop which had a good view of the passing crowd. Silence fell between the two.

The silence was comfortable until she broke it.

“Don’t you think humans are ironical?” she spoke suddenly.

“Why do you say so?” he asked out of pure curiosity.

Sometimes, Lay felt like he could never understand Jaerin fully. She is a wise girl, too complex and complicated. Hence, he resorted to asking, hoping to dig further and comprehend her.

“They are ironical. Sometimes, they say they love something but at the same time, they hate it. They know life is short but they always rushing through their lives. And most ironically, they always profess they hate liars but they themselves lie. Irony much.” She spat bitterly.

Suddenly, the cute girl in her pink uniform popped out from nowhere.

“Dear customers, our shop is giving away complimentary vouchers to the first 100 couples. Eh, I forgot to hand it to the two of you previously. Hope you enjoy your sweet treat and will come back again.” She beamed with an adorable smile.

“Excuse me but I don’t think we can tak-.” Lay spoke up as he attempted to return the voucher.

“Thank you.” Jaerin cut in as she slipped the voucher into her hands.

The confused cashier returned to her counter and busied herself.

“You shouldn’t have lied.”

“Come on. It’s just an ice-cream voucher, Lay.”

“Lying is wrong.”

“Then tell me what is right in this world?”

Jaerin raised her volume slightly as she dropped her metal spoon. She hated it when people tell her ‘lying is wrong’. She detested how people always looked to her in a different light when she lied. She didn’t see anything wrong in doing so. After all, they did it to her first so why can’t she do the same to others? She couldn’t forgive and would never forget.

“I’m tired. I got to go.” She said suddenly and left the shop.

Lay sat alone in the shop with her abrupt departure. He looked at the mango sherbet in his cup and frowned. For a moment, his mood fluctuated with hers and he couldn’t understand the reasoning behind it. If she was just a friend, she shouldn’t have had such an effect on him. Lay stopped thinking further because the possibilities were null in his eyes.

 

-

 

An incessant knocking was sounded on the door. It was a series of loud and quick knocking so Jaerin dragged herself off the sofa to answer it. She plopped herself back onto the couch and looked at the guest. He appeared angry and Jaerin sighed, knowing this would not turn out good. When the two of them were in bad mood, it always turned out like two planets crashed together.

Kris recalled how he was standing by the window with his fist clenched against the glass panel. In the noon, he was taking a break from the club meeting which he attended only after so long. However, when he stood by the window, he spotted a familiar girl with an irritating guy near the school gates. Insecurity and uneasiness troubled him since afternoon.

“Who did you go out with just now?” he interrogated.

“Why?” she retorted.

“Is it that Lay guy again?” he questioned.

She kept quiet.

“Why are you always hanging out with him?!” He half-shouted.

She hated how he raised his volume at her.

“Why are you so concerned?” she questioned coldly.  

“Because I…I…” Kris paused and met eyes with her.

There was a long silence.

“Because I…I…am your best friend.” He said and at that moment, he felt a stab at his heart.

He was a complete fool, and he knew it.

 

Author's Note:
Hello everyone! I'm so sorry for not being able to update this story only up tilll now.
I can't type a proper author's note in my sleepy state of mind.
(Couldn't check my grammar properly either so I might have to re-do it another time.)
I'm going off to sleep and please do comment on the new chapter. <3
Thank you for reading 'The Girl who Cried Wolf'.^^