Surprised

The Girl who Cried Wolf

 

It was a beautiful day; the skies were clear. Jaerin closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. The breeze caressed her face in a gentle manner. She broke into a slight smile. If things could stay this way forever, she wondered how good it would be. In a world whereby everything felt so peaceful and at ease.

“Stop! Stop!” A distraught high-pitched scream filled the air.

Opening her eyes in annoyance, Jaerin glared in the direction of the noise pollution. Some distance away, she saw a boy aged 10 or so trampling all over the girl’s sand castle. The little girl was sitting on the sand wailing loudly, pleading for him to stop. The scene before her brought back memories.

“Park Jaerin, your sandcastle is taking up too much space in the pit!” The other boy walked up to her.

Little Jaerin lowered her head and ignored him. She continued playing by herself. She was close to completion when the boy finally ruined everything. He stepped and jumped on her hard work thoughtlessly. He claimed that her sandcastle was ugly as compared to his. He said that his friends and him spent more time on their sand work. He told her that castles don’t exist and that she was being plain stupid.

“Jaerin-ah, why did you fight with Sungyeol?”

“He started it first.”

“She’s lying! She’s lying!”

“Jaerin-ah, kids shouldn’t lie.”

The sister then eyed Sungyeol who was badly injured and the other boys who suffered slight injuries.

“If you don’t believe, why ask?” She shot in defiance before running out of the room.

The sister shook her head in response.

Unknown to her, she had just killed the young soul once more. Trust could have been her cure.

“Stop it.” Jaerin demanded in a stern voice.

The boy stopped stepping on the ruined castle and looked up. He met with her fiery glare before running off quickly.

“Th-Thank you unnie.” The girl mumbled between tears.

She squatted and touched the ‘debris’ of her castle.

“Do castles exist in your world?” Jaerin asked as she squatted down beside her.

“Yes, definitely!” She answered so readily before turning back to her ruined work.

“You can just start from scratch again.” Jaerin told the girl who had a forlorn look on.

“Can you help me?” The girl requested with a bright smile.

Jaerin nodded slightly. Somehow, she couldn’t refuse the innocent girl before her. Minutes passed and the castle was reforming in the sand.

“Darling.” A woman called out lovingly.

The little girl dropped her ‘tools’ and ran up to her mother. She clung onto her mother’s thigh and smiled sweetly. The scene before tickled Jaerin’s heart slightly. She stood up and dusted the sand particles off her clothes. The woman eyed the teenage girl before her and smiled.

“Thank you for accompanying my daughter.” She said politely.

Jaerin merely nodded at her words. She was about to walk off when she heard something.  

“Annyeong unnie!”  The little girl beamed.

Jaerin nodded once more. This time, with a slight smile put on before walking away from the scene.

To: Jaerin

I saw you.  

 

To: Lay

You stalker.

 

To: Jaerin

Guess where I am?

 

To: Lay

The second bench behind the pine tree.

Lay’s eyes widened at the message and he looked around as if he was some paranoid spy.

“Idiot.” She appeared from nowhere.

“You-” He pointed at her in shock.

She ignored him and sat down on the empty space beside him.

“You knew?” he asked.

Jaerin nodded tiredly. Lay chuckled as he saw beads of perspiration on her forehead. He passed her a packet of tissue.

“What kind of guy carries tissue with them?” she questioned and laughed.

“Me.” He replied, unoffended.

“Thanks.”

She returned the tissue pack. Their fingers brushed past one another slightly but the two overlooked that. Silence filled the air and Lay felt obliged to talk.

“You like kids?” he asked.

“Nope.” She replied curtly.

“You seemed to be having so much fun with the kid just now.” He pointed out.

“She reminded me of me.” Jaerin answered truthfully.

Lay nodded and did not say anything further.

 “Uhm, will you be going for the school trip?” Lay attempted to start another conversation.

“Why? You want me to go?” she asked with a playful smile.

“It’s a compulsory event actually.” He reminded.

“Not like I give a damn.” She said, shrugging her shoulders.

“Oh.” He replied awkwardly.

“But I’ll be going this time.” She announced.

He smiled.

“Why?” Kris asked in surprise.

Or rather, shock.

“Just felt like going out of a sudden.” She said and resumed packing.

“I’ll be going too then.” He said.

“Go home and pack your bag in that case.” She said as she looked at him.

“See you in school tomorrow. Ah. Don’t forget your toothbrush, toothpaste, towel, food, clothes and…” Kris paused.

“And undergarments.” She finished off for him and smirked.

Kris turned red, even his ears too.

“Someone is shy.” She teased.

“Shut up, Jaerin.” He snapped and looked away.

“Fine, fine. Go on home, red tomato.” She joked.

Kris rolled his eyes at her before leaving for the door.

 

Author's Note:
I'm sorry for updating this story only now. At the same time, I want to thank all subscribers for supporting this story. I didn't realise the subscribers have reached 20. (: Thank you and hope you enjoyed reading. 
Ah. If any of you are writers who want to show off your writing skills, do check out this awesome ongoing contest:
Christmas All Year Round Writing Contest ! 
At this note, there are two stories which I hope you would check out too :
(The authors to these stories placed first and second in my writing contest so I guess something good would be awaiting you behind the link. Do give it a try, alright? Thanks!)

Going Crazy

Twelve Men in a Year
 Pardon me for all the advertising and don't forget to comment, okay? :D 
Thank you so much. <3