Acceptance

The Girl who Cried Wolf

“Have you eaten?”

“O-Oh. You’re here. What did you say again?”

“You’re zoning out again.” Luhan pointed out as he settled himself beside Lay.

The accused flashed a slightly embarrassed smile as he straightened himself. He allowed his eyes to wander about aimlessly before landing on a faraway tree. Then, Lay let out a soft sigh. Luhan supported his face with his left fist and started staring. Minutes later, Lay turned to face his best friend whom refused to quit staring.  

“Why are you staring at me?” Lay questioned.

“Come on, spill the beans. What’s up with you lately?” Luhan prompted, nudging him repeatedly.  

“Nothing’s wrong.” He said.

“Geez. Did you even realize you replied a little too quickly?” he stated matter-of-factly and rolled his eyes.

Lay sighed once more as silence settled in.

“Ask you a hypothetical question.” Lay eventually broke the silence.

“Shoot.”

“Would you pick up a rose even though you know the thorns would prick?”

“Hmmm….More importantly, I think you will.”

Lay’s eyes widened in realization as he turned to his friend.

“What are you talking about?!”

His defense mode was on and Luhan could only smile in amusement at his response.

“You know what I mean.” He deliberated.  

 “I don’t know what you’re saying.” Lay answered with a flustered expression on.  

“The fact that you’re asking this question although you know the rose would hurt you speaks volume.” He pointed out.   

 Lay was about to say something when he felt his phone buzz. His heart leapt when he saw the caller name. However, the screen teasingly dimmed the next instant just when he was about to pick up. He frowned as he unlocked his phone. Luhan watched on in anticipation, knowing very well what was going on.  

 

To: Jaerin

You were looking for me?

 

To: Lay

Sorry. I dialed the wrong number by accident.

 

Lay couldn’t deny that his heart fell a little at her reply.

 

To: Jaerin

Are you in school?

 

To: Lay

Yes. I’m at the school gates, waiting for a friend.

 

To: Jaerin

Wait up.

 

“I got to go first.” Lay informed, picking his bag up.

“Your rose?” Luhan teased.

Lay smacked his head in retaliation before jogging towards the school gate.

“I hope it’s not her but if your rose is her, don’t regret when you’re hurt, Yixing-ah.”  Luhan sighed as he stood up too.

He saw her by the gates, face deprived of the smile which he loved to see. If he could, he would have walked over and with the tips of his fingers, force a smile on her face. She always looked like that, face deprived of emotions. It appeared to him that she was seemingly wearing a mask on her face, afraid the world would know what she was truly feeling and thinking. He could never really understand and comprehend her words and actions. Her words could be lies. Her actions could be an act. Lay didn’t know when she means it and when she doesn’t. She confused him to no end.

If Lay were to put Jaerin down in words, she would be a puzzle which he wishes to solve. So much.

Jaerin stared at the man before her who had his hands in his pockets. He realized her staring so he quickly wore a charming smile and walked over.

“Why did you want to meet me?” she asked coldly.  

“Since that day, we didn’t meet again.” He pointed out.

His words brought her back to the exact day when she spoke her heart and saw it shatter into pieces. The thing was she felt it, saw it but he didn’t. Slowly, she lifted her head and met eyes with him. It didn’t take long for her to conceal those emotions. A half-smirk broke out on her face.

“Why? You missed me?” she joked.

“W-What if I tell you that I don’t wish for those words to be a joke?”

She froze at his words and at that instant, the world faded into the background. She could only see his sincere eyes, looking at her. Jaerin wanted to speak but something got caught in .  His expression soured after a minute or two.

“It’s okay. Take it that I didn’t say anything.” Lay mumbled to save himself from further embarrassment.

Just when he was about to walk away, Jaerin caught his wrist. She quickly stepped forward and hugged his tall frame from behind as if afraid to lose him. Lay was utterly surprised by her actions. Instinctively, he tensed up when he felt the touch of her skin.  

“I-It wasn’t a lie. I mean it. I really did.” She confessed like a little kid with poor articulation ability.

A relieved smile graced his lips as he spun around. Without saying a second word, he hugged her. Jaerin smiled, unable to believe and comprehend what just happened. It seemed like only yesterday when she was crying over the person hugging her this very moment. Now, she was in his embrace, feeling like the happiest girl on Earth. The scene could have been a fairytale’s happily ever after if not for the man standing a stone’s throw away.

“I really like you. This time, don’t take my words lightly anymo- Esh. This sounds so bastard. Jaerin-ah, saran…” Kris was softly rehearsing his lines but he stopped upon seeing the scene before him.

He simply stopped and stared. Krisscoffed and he felt himself dying a little more inside with each passing second. It has never hurt so much. Not even when he was being beaten into a pulp while protecting Jaerin from the middle school bullies. Kris thought he felt his heart being squeezed into almost nothingness. He wanted to march up and hit Lay straight in the face but he held himself back. Because he didn't know how to move on from there. He didn't know what to say to Jaerin. Then, the two broke their hug.

“They must not see me here.”  He thought.

With that, he walked away in large, difficult strides.

He had lost her after all this time. After all this years of guarding, ensuring she was in sight and she only belonged to him... It appeared that he was never her prince. He was merely a guard, waiting for Lay to come by and take her with him. She loved him, but she only took him as a best friend. Kris Wu was only a god damn stupid best friend to Park Jaerin. Nothing more, nothing less. Punching the tree repeatedly, Kris yelled incoherently at it. However, it did not ease the suffocation in his chest. It did not stop the pain he was feeling. It did not change the fact that he had lost her at the end of the day. It only made him feel worse, a hundred times worse. Because today, he realized how pathetic Kris Wu was.

If Kris could turn back time, he would rush there before Lay did. He would tell her that he hated how he was simply a best friend to her. Kris would have told her what he said before weren’t lies and just like how she was hurt by Lay, it hurts him when she deemed him as a liar too. Kris would have finally spoke his heart and promise her that with him around, no one would ever get to hurt her again. He would have told her so, so many things but today, he was late.

He was terribly late.

 

 

 

 

Author's note:
Oh my gosh. I'm so freaking happy to update something!<3
This chapter contained a twist of events which has been pre-planned.
Just like what some of you've predicted, the story is coming to an end.
In a few more chapters' time, I would present you with the ending.
Thank you for reading 'The Girl who Cried Wolf'. ^^
I hope you like this chapter and please do comment!:D