Heartache

The Girl who Cried Wolf

Jaerin returned to school with a band aid plastered near her lip. The students were staring at it, at her. She then directed at Kris a string of fluent vulgarities under her breath. If not for him going to the extent of cursing her, saying if she remove it, a scar will be left behind and she will end up as an old hag, she would definitely have removed it.

“Stupid Kris.” She scolded.

 Speak of the devil, she thought. Kris appeared with Haneul clinging onto him like a koala bear. For a moment, she imagined Kris being a tree hugged by Kim Hanuel, the furry koala bear. It was pretty funny but she couldn’t bring herself to laugh. Not because she was afraid of Kris but simply because she was not in the mood to. She hadn’t forgotten how she was rejected last night by Lay, the person she thought would believe her without saying a second word. She still felt as if some invisible hand was clutching onto her heart from time to time.

“Jaerin.” Kris called out.

Jaerin stopped walking, spun around and stared at her best friend. She was not intending to greet him and for a moment, she thought he was going to ignore her.

“Are you feeling better?” he asked, concerned.

“Not dead yet.” She dropped those words and left.

Hanuel tightened her grip around Kris’ arm, as if she was afraid to lose him. Kris fought back the urge to peel her hands off him and go after Jaerin. In his eyes, Jaerin looked like she was suffocating and he didn’t know why. In the clear normal environment, Kris felt like black foggy smoke was creeping in too- he felt difficult. His eyes did not leave her until she disappeared down the corridor.

“Can we go already, oppa?” she finally asked.

He nodded and the two left the corridor. Thoughts filled both of their minds.

Jaerin saw Lay from afar, hanging out with Luhan. She bit her lips, spun around and left. Each step she took became smaller and heavier. She scanned the crowd and it struck her how hypocritical humans are. They say one thing but they do the other. He looked like the best man in the world who can be trusted but it turned out, he was just like them. He did not trust her, and she didn’t need to know anything else. Sitting down, Jaerin clenched her fists and told herself not to cry. Ever.

“You’re not weak anymore.” She reassured herself.

But still, a teardrop slid down her cheek.

-

Kris rang the bell repeatedly but no one answered it. He looked down at Jaerin’s favourite kimchi bought from her all-time-favourite store. He had hurried down once school ended and almost came back empty handed. However, it seemed like allowing the ahjumma to touch his firm triceps did the trick. He was grateful for his good looks, once again. It seemed that being handsome always work in his favour but not now. Kris frowned when he noticed the lights are on.

“She is inside.” He thought to himself.

Kris rang up Jaerin’s cellphone and house phone but she ignored them all the same. He eventually sent her a text message.

 

To: Jaerin

I left your favourite kimchi from the Kim’s store at your door. Eat it well with rice.

 

After ten minutes or so, Jaerin made her way to the door.

“Knew you were inside.” Kris said as he turned to the left, getting up from the wall.

Jaerin sighed. She should have known better. It’s Kris Wu.

“Come on in.” She said.

Kris kicked his shoes off and entered her house. She switched on the rice cooker and cooked enough rice for them both. Kris entered the kitchen, and he stared at her move about. Jaerin rolled her eyes, sensing his stare following her around. She turned and faced him, with arms crossed before her.

“Get out, Kris. The kitchen is cramp.” She commanded sternly.

Kris pouted but nonetheless, he made his way out. He noted that the chopper was in the kitchen.

Point number one: Never trifle with Park Jaerin especially when she is not in the right state of mind/ mood.

“I’ll eat well!” Kris said as he picked up the chopstick and spoon.

Jaerin picked up her utensils too. However, she stopped after eating a few mouthful of white rice with the kimchi Kris bought. She had no appetite. Kris placed his utensils down upon seeing her stop.
 

“Jaerin, what’s wrong with you these days? You look so… down.” he pointed out the obvious.

“Nothing is wrong.” She lied with a smile, a little too fake.

“Kris gripped her wrist and forced her to look in his eyes, so she did.

“Jaerin-ah, I taught you to lie but not to me. Tell me what’s wrong.” He demanded.

He thought she was going to remain silent but he was wrong.

“K-Kris, I like him.” She confessed with hurt shown on her face.

At that moment, Kris hoped he wasn’t mirroring her expression, because he was feeling an indescribable pain too. If heart was an organ meant to supply blood to the rest of the body, why would it hurt? It was not as if he had a heart attack, he scoffed.  At that point of time, Kris wanted to tell her to stop telling him, because he likes her and this was hurting him so badly. But he plastered a smile and slowly, released her wrist.

“Go on. Tell me what’s bothering you.” He forced himself to say those words which spoke against his heart.

Stupid Kris.

“I like him. I like Lay. B-But when I co-confessed to him, he thought I was lying. How pathetic can I get…” She laughed at herself after saying those words.

“Stop laughing. It’s not even funny.” Kris spat.

She couldn’t stop laughing. She just kept laughing until tears spilled from her eyes. And slowly, Jaerin stopped laughing. She was crying so badly. Those tears started coursing down her face and she crunched over. Kris got up from his seat and stood behind her. Leaning his tall frame over, he hugged her. Those hands wrapped tightly around her, shielding her from everything else the world had to offer. Just like before. It was all he could give her because at that moment, Kris didn’t know what to say. He couldn’t be sure what he would say if he had spoken.  

“K-Kris, it hurts so much.” She mumbled.

“I know, Jaerin. I know.” He said silently to himself.

-

 

“Thanks for… yesterday.” Jaerin said, not looking at him.

“You’re welcome.” Kris said with a smirk.

Jaerin slapped his forehead harshly before turning around. She leaned her back against the wall and the wind blew her fringe. Kris stared at her for a moment, dazzled by the girl before him.

“By the way, I think you should break up with your little girlfriend already.” Jaerin started a new topic.

Kris raised an eyebrow at his statement and stuffed his hands into his blazer pockets. Closing up the distance between the two, he looked down at her. Jaerin tilted her head slightly and sighed in annoyance. She was not at all intimidated by her best friend. She knew he wouldn’t do anything to her. They probably looked absolutely scandalous at the moment though.  

“You’re trying to imply there is a hidden meaning behind me asking you to break up.” She guessed.

He nodded with the same signature smirk which Jaerin was so tempted to slap it off. But she held back, remembering he helped her only yesterday.

“If you don’t break up with her, she will probably come here…and who knows what she will do.” Jaerin said and pushed him off her.

He took three steps back and watched her leave. Kris studied the rooftop and ruffled his hair in frustration. Actually, he too, realized that Hanuel was falling a little too deep for him. And it was no good. It was a big ‘No’ for players like the two of them.

“Complicated.” He thought.

 

Author's Note:

Pardon me for updating slow. I hope you guys like this chapter. ^^
It would be nice to hear comments from you. <3
Have a nice day ahead!:
)