Departure

The Girl who Cried Wolf

Kris sobered up a little as he sipped on the cup of warm tea. He eyed the girl before him and made a mental note to curse Dongmin for calling her out. He attempted to recall whether he used a harsh tone on her just now when he was semi-drunk.  Kris cleared his throat as he placed his cup down. He took his phone out and switched it on. There was a missed call. Upon realizing who it was, Kris found himself hitting the ‘call’ button repeatedly. Jaerin wouldn’t call him if there weren’t anything serious. The line went dead. She had hung up on him apparently. A sadistic smile graced Kris’ lips when he received a message seconds later.

 

To: Kris

Ignore the call. I am in the movies, don’t call again.

 

“Jaerin-ssi, I heard she had gotten together with Lay.” Hanuel began.

 

“Mmm…” Kris acknowledged.

 

“I thought I told you go for it!” Hanuel attempted to lighten the atmosphere.

Awkward silence fell between the two. There were whispers of other couples in the air and light-hearted music playing in the background. Hanuel tried to make things better but she thought she had made things worse. Hanuel thought Kris looked sad. It wasn’t written on his face but it was in his eyes, she thought to herself. Hanuel picked up her cup with both hands to warm her hands.  

“I am leaving.” Kris suddenly said.

 

Hanuel choked on her tea and her eyes widened at his statement.

 

“What do you mean by you’re leaving?” she asked, placing her cup down with slightly trembling hands.

 

“China. I’m going there.” He added.

 

“W-When?” she questioned.

 

“Next week.” He confirmed.

 

“How long?” she asked again.

 

“Maybe, I won’t return to Seoul anymore.” Kris thought about it.

 

“D-Does she know?” Hanuel asked.

 

“Jaerin. She’ll know when the time comes. I will appreciate if this remains as a secret between us, Hanuel.” Kris said.

Hanuel pressed her lips into a thin line, holding back the tears forming in her eyes. She smiled and it was an obviously faked one. She had allowed him to go to Park Jaerin, the girl whom she knew she had lost Kris to since the start. She was willing to watch him leave her side but she was never ready for him to leave Seoul. He was going to China; she repeated his words in her mind. Kris looked at his phone and realized it was really late already.

“I’ll hail a cab for you.” He offered.

 

“I-It’s alright. I wish to stay a little longer.” She stammered slightly.  

 

“In that case…” Kris stood up with his hands in his pockets.

 

“Thank you for tonight. Bye.” He said and left.

 

He always leaves so suddenly, she noted.

Kris was done with his first round of packing. He looked around and realized there weren’t really many things to bring along. Kris stared at the photo frame in his hand with a longing smile. Back then, he thought he would be by her side, forever. It had never occurred to him that one day, he would be the one walking away from her. He knew he had to though because his spot has been taken up by Lay, a long time ago. She no longer needed him, and he needed to get a life. A life that no longer revolved around Park Jaerin.  

Kris went to school as usual and he counted his days. No one knew his departure, except for Hanuel. Her eyes followed the boy who just left the office, eyes glued to his phone. Hanuel wished she could continue observing him from afar but she knew, soon, it would be impossible. She turned her back around when she saw him look up from his phone. Hanuel found herself in tears when she heard his footsteps distant.

-

 

Kris took a last look of the school he had spent years studying in. He wondered if he would miss this familiar campus compound a few months down the road. Kris took the chance to recall all the memories he had here. He wanted to commit it in his memory so he wouldn’t forget. He wondered if Jaerin would miss him because he knew he would. Deep in his heart, Kris wanted to stay, but he had to go. It was time, to let go. He deleted all his message history with Jaerin and kept his phone away. Taking large strides towards the school gates, he told himself it was going to be the last time. Then, he halted. The girl with her head hanging low stood before him. She looked up, eyes b with tears.

“Goodbye.” Kris said.

She tried to smile, “Have a safe trip.”

Kris patted her head like before and Hanuel wished she had that moment frozen forever.

He walked past her and she knew she had to do something. Hanuel knew she couldn’t let Kris simply leave like that. She found her legs bringing herself to many corners of the school in search of a person. The person who can return everything to its rightful places. She panted heavily as she stopped before the couple sitting at the broken fountain sculpture.

“Park Jaerin-ssi, did you see her around?”

Her ears perked up when she heard the familiar laughter. Spinning on her heels almost instantly, she sprinted in the direction. She saw Jaerin and Lay with their hands laced together. And she finally realized why Kris had to leave. Their loveliness killed her, too. She bit her lips and walked up to them, or particularly Jaerin.

“Kris is leaving for China.” she informed.

 

“What are you talking about?” Jaerin questioned.

 

“He said he isn’t returning to Korea. Please go after him.” She half-yelled in desperation.

 

“W-Where is he now?” Jaerin sensed that she wasn’t joking and horror struck her.

 

“He has left.” Hanuel replied.

 

“How long?” she asked.

 

“An hour ago.” Hanuel responded, checking her watch.

 

Jaerin released Lay’s hand almost immediately at her words and she ran past Hanuel, bumping into her shoulder by accident. Lay thought he felt his heart sink a little at her actions. He called out Jaerin’s name as he ran after her. However, he lost her in no time. Jaerin was freaking out at that moment, and she kept running. She dialed his number and the automated response was scaring her. She hated Kris Wu for this and she swore she was going to beat him up when she finds him at the airport.  Jaerin’s phone vibrated and she realized she has an unread voice mail. She was about to delete it and then, realization struck her. She opened it up and placed her phone against her ear.

She stopped running when she hear Kris’ voice.

“Yah, Park Jaerin. You’re neglecting me because you’ve a boyfriend now, huh?”

His voice cracked a little, she noticed.

“I can tell you love that Lay guy a lot. He has taken over my place so easily, didn’t he? Haha… This is so embarrassing, how I am so easily replaceable. I thought I was irreplaceable. Jaerin-ah. You know, recently, I realize…  I can no longer stay by your side as your ‘best friend’. Gosh. I seriously hate it when you call me your best friend. My aunt in China had called for me to live with her and I’ve decided to move in with her. It feels good to be with a family member, I suppose. I won’t be returning to Seoul anymore. You don’t have to find me. Let’s just leave things as such… Don’t miss me too much, arrasso?”

Jaerin was crying hard at his words. It had never occurred to her that Kris felt that he was replaced. She had never meant it that way. She finally realized how she had tossed him aside so easily ever since they had gotten together. She wished she could undo all those. Just when she thought the message has ended, his voice returned.

“And I’ve always wanted to say this again: I like you. I really do, Park Jaerin. But you’ve never taken me seriously. I’m flying off already. I guess this is farewell. Take care, Jaerin-ah. I know he would take care of you well. ”

“Fool. You stupid fool.” She yelled.

She tried calling his number again and this time, the automated voice said the number has been terminated.

-

Jaerin found herself sitting at the airport seats in a daze. His phone was no longer in service and that only meant that they had lost contact completely. He did it on purpose, she realized. She hated his willfulness but she had never hated it so much until today. Jaerin pulled her hair hard when her brain didn’t think of any ways to bring Kris back. She needed him back, so badly. Jaerin cried and she hated Kris for making her cry. Because she realized he used to be by her side to wipe off those tears.

“Jaerin?”

 

Jaerin looked up at her boyfriend who had a worried expression on.

 

“H-He’s gone.” She told him.

 

Her heart felt like it was being torn apart.

 

“That idiot. He left me behind.” She half-yelled in frustration.  

 

“Where did he go?” Lay asked, confused.

 

Jaerin did not respond anymore because her mind blanked out. Lay didn’t know what he could do so he enveloped Jaerin in a gentle hug. She wanted to break free of the hug and do something about this stupid situation. She really, really wanted to strangle that idiotic Kris Wu. However, he was nowhere to be found. Then, her eyes widened for she remembered something.

-

 

“Sister Kim said you received an overseas call~ who was it?” she asked.

Kris didn’t speak and when he looked up, Jaerin noticed his eyes were really red and puffy. She wanted to for crying. He was the one who said boys don’t cry. However, she held back because he looked really sad. She didn’t understand why and she knew he wasn’t going to tell. Jaerin pried open Kris’ clenched up fist and placed a candy in his palm. He looked up at her and she smiled.

“A candy a day keeps the tears away.” She sang cutely.

 

The two sat in silence for a while until Kris finally spoke.

“S-She died.” He mumbled.

 

“W-Who?” she asked in shock.

 

“My aunt.” Tears flowed down the little boy’s cheeks.

 

She clearly remembered Kris’ aunt died when they were seven.

“Now, where am I going to find you? You liar.” she thought to herself.

And she thought they said they wouldn’t lie to one another.

 

Author's Note:
I'm sorry for updating slow. I hope you guys will enjoy reading 'The Girl who Cried Wolf' till the end. Thank you!<3

ps. Grammar will be checked tomorrow.