Complications

The Girl who Cried Wolf

The strong wind blew, bringing along some dead leaves and messed up his hair slightly. Hanuel stood rooted to the ground as she stared at his back. His tall frame, his shadow, his back view, everything about him seemed so perfect. Kris turned around and met eyes with the girl who had her hair tied up in a neat ponytail. She smiled warmly but he did not return a smile. Stuffing his hands into his pocket, he sashayed over to her. His shadow fell upon her so she looked up. The sunshine smile was still on her face and it made Kris soften a little.

“Kim Hanuel, did you really think I love you?”

Kris prepared himself for a set of useless beatings at his chest, yelling at him for playing with her pure, innocent heart. However, none of those happened.

“No.”

His eyes widened at her reply and he watched how her smile fades away slowly. It became a bitter and sad one.

“What do you mean?”

Ironically, she was supposed to say that line.

“You like her, don’t you?”

Kris saw tears shimmering in her eyes and he could tell she was holding them back. He felt bad.

“Who?”

“Park Jaerin-ssi.”

“W-What are you talking about?!”

“Don’t deny it, Kris oppa. I know you like her a lot.”

There was a longest period of silence before Kris spoke again, “When did you know?”

“Since the beginning.”

“I…”

“Go for it.”

“What?!”

Kris couldn’t believe his ears. It appeared that Hanuel was telling him to woo Jaerin when he was supposed to break up with her. She was supposed to act dramatically like a brat and he was supposed to deal with it cool.

 

“As long as it makes you happy, go for it.”

This time, the teardrop slid down her cheek.

“You-” Kris paused, contemplating what to say now.

“Don’t worry. I won’t do anything weird here.” She reassured with a light laugh.

“It isn’t that complicated after all, is it?” she added.

Then, it struck Kris- she was there.  

“I-I need to go for lessons already. Goodbye, Kris oppa.” She said softly.

Walking a few steps away from him, she turned back.

“Hwaiting.” She mouthed weakly before running down the stairs.  

Kris wanted to give her a chase but he did not.

Because he knew it took her a lot of courage to run away from him.

-

“What do you think?” The middle-aged lady asked.

“I think she looks like a nice girl.” Her spouse answered.

The couple sipped on their tea, eyes fixated on Jaerin who was playing blocks by herself. The sister smiled at their interest. She knew they were from a well-off family and she believed Jaerin would be better off with them. Jaerin needed love, care and concern, something which the orphanage cannot fully provide for all the children. After all, there were so many children and to some of these kids like Jaerin, the sisters’ love was sheer sympathy. Their wounds can never be healed by sympathy.

They needed a family.

“.” Kris cussed.

Not long later, the little boy snapped his finger with an awkward smirk played on his lips.

He has a plan. Without anyone’s notice, he grabbed Jaerin into his room.

“Yah, Kris Wu! I was halfway done building my house!” She protested loudly.

“Jaerin-ah, I’ve something interesting here.” He said, revealing something from beneath his shirt.

“What is this?” she raised an eyebrow at it.

“This is called a make-up kit.” He announced and opened it.

“Wait! What are you doing?!” She stopped his hand which had a weird looking brush near her face.

“Stay still and I’ll transform you into a pretty princess.” He claimed.  

She thought about it before releasing her grip.

“Done.” He said.

“Show time.” He thought.

Little Jaerin was not too surprised to find herself being dragged by Kris to another place.  He always did that to her anyways. She was panting badly from all the running but he still refused to tell her where they were heading. Jaerin recognized that they were out in the garden and metres ahead, they would be out of the orphanage compound. They would be punished, she thought.

“Keep running.” Kris ordered.

Jaerin complied, not doubting his words. Her best friend wouldn’t harm her was what she had in mind.

“Park Jaerin, stop running!” Kris yelled from behind.

She stopped running, huffing and puffing away. The couple turned around, staring at the two kids. Their eyes widened upon realizing the kid they wished to adopt had abnormally flushed face and dots on her face. Kris smiled slightly when he noticed their expressions changed.

“Why did you run so much again? Didn’t I tell you not to run? You’ll die, don’t you know?! And you forgot your medicine again!” He mumbled.

Jaerin stared at him quizzically and just when she was about to open , he popped something into . She swallowed it down and stared at him. Glancing to the side, Kris confirmed that the couple had secretly slipped out of the gates and into their car. Kris flashed a victorious smile seeing them leave. He knew they weren’t coming back, and he was glad.

“YAH! What did you feed me?!”

“Don’t worry. It’s just vitamin.” He stuck out his tongue and walked back.

“Yah. What were you talking about just now? When was it that I would die if I run? And when did I have to take medicine?” she posed questions incessantly.

Kris stopped walking and turned around abruptly, causing her to jolt to a stop.

“Park Jaerin, say ‘Thank you’.” He requested with a grin.

“Huh?” she blurted out, completely confused.

“It’s alright.” He waved it off.

“Yah. Kris Wu, you’re not going anywhere until you explain to me what’s happening!” She yelled after him.

Who cared about ‘thank you’ when he already had his best gift by his side?

-

 

To: Jaerin

I have broken up with Hanuel. Can we meet later or something?

-Kris

 

 

Author's Note:
I am truly sorry for taking decades to update this story.
Kindly understand that poor author here has just started school TT
Hope you guys enjoyed reading this chapter! ^^
And oh my gosh, I've just read your comments!
All of you are too sweet. <3 I'll reply to them someday (':
I'm too tired to give a proper reply/ check my grammar properly.
Off to bed. :D