Date

The Girl who Cried Wolf

“You want to date me?” Kris asked with his left hand in his pocket.

“Y-Yes.” The girl choked out nervously.

“Alright.” He agreed.

She looked up at him in surprise and beamed, “Really?”

He nodded in response.

“Thank you, Kris oppa. Thank you.” She said and hugged him.

He her hair gently and tears of joy seemed to have dripped on his uniform. To Haneul, it was a dream come true. It was like a fixed star has finally fallen to grant her near impossible wish. Having her long-time crush agree to be her boyfriend made her giddy beyond words. At that moment, she almost forgot to breathe. She forgot everything else because then, he was in her embrace. Unfortunately, to Kris, it was a different story. She was no special. To him, she was a simple girl and he was a playboy. A change of taste seemed fun and that was the sole reason as to why he agreed.

Nothing more, nothing less.

The two held hands and Hanuel felt her palm sweat so she pulled away. He looked at her in confusion and she smiled awkwardly.

“My palms are getting sweaty.” She explained softly.

He took her hand in his again.

“It’s alright.”

Her heart was bursting with happiness.

-

 

Jaerin looked down and suppressed her laughter.

“That joke is really the best.” She said.

He smiled and did a victory sign in her direction.

“I told you I could make you smile.” Lay said.

The two stopped in tracks when they met eyes with someone familiar. Jaerin eyed the new girl beside Kris and had some form of recollection as to who she was. Kim Hanuel, the girl whom she conveniently stuck a ‘nerd label’ to. She saw how Kris pulled her closer and she responded with a retarded smile. Jaerin felt a little uncomfortable at the sight before her so she closed her eyes for a brief moment before reopening them.  

“Hey Kris.” She greeted.

Before he could say anything, she added, “Got to go. Bye.”

Then she walked off with Lay trailing behind her. Kris stood rooted on the ground. He had not even put up the act he had prepared. Hanuel looked up at her boyfriend, wondering what he was doing.

“Oppa?”

Kris looked down at the girl and forced a smile. The two walked away and people have begun to excitedly gossip behind their backs. The rumour went along the lines of the school hottest playboy has seemingly settled for a nerdy girl. Some speculated they would last long while others betted against it.

It was spreading like wild fire.

“Don’t you guys have better things to do than to gossip about others?” Jaerin spat.

The girls turned back and stared at her in unison.  

“It’s not as if we are talking about you?” One of the stronger girls rebutted.

“First and foremost, you girls are talking a little too loud, disrupting my peace here. Oh. And for your information, the Kris Wu you’re talking about is my best friend too. Enough reasons to be my business?” she crossed her arms in retaliation.

“It is not as if Kris oppa is your boyfriend, right?” The defensive fan girl chimed in.

Jaerin stood up with her hands slammed against the table surface.

“Can’t you gossipy girls just shut up?” she half-shouted.

“That’s why people in the school don’t like you.” One of them said and the group walked off.

Jaerin did not know why but at her words, she felt slightly hurt.

Hurt- such a foreign feeling.

“Park Jaerin should not feel hurt.” She reiterated to herself.

 

To: Kris

Going home today?

 

To: Jaerin

Yes, with my girlfriend.

 

To: Kris

Noted.

 

On her way home, Jaerin felt exceptionally lonely. It was one of those random moments in life when you feel like you’re alone and that no one would actually weep for you even if you were to vanish into nothingness.

“Perhaps some of them would even start clapping their hands.” She thought bitterly to herself.

Reaching home, Jaerin threw her school bag down and sat against her sofa. She felt her body sink a little as she closed her eyes. On her way to dream land, something or rather, someone interrupted the journey. Fluttering her eyelids open, she picked up the phone.

 

To: Jaerin

The coupon is expiring…

 

She smiled at his message and the obviousness behind those words.

 

To: Lay

Are you asking me out for an ice-cream date?

 

To: Jaerin

I guess you can say so. Call?

 

To: Lay

Give me 30 minutes.

 

To: Jaerin

Sure.

 

She sang a happy song as she was in the shower. Exiting the shower room, Jaerin rummaged through her cabinet of clothes and finally settled for one. Satisfied with her appearance, she made sure to blow and set her hair prettily. Checking the time, Jaerin noticed she was running late so she hurriedly grabbed her wallet and left. There he is, she thought. She then jogged a little up to Lay and smiled slightly. He knew it was her form of apology and accepted it that way. The two went into the shop and presented the voucher. Lay held her hand unconsciously to complete the act and Jaerin felt her heart skip a beat. Jaerin attempted to pull away but he tightened his grip.

“What do you want, Jaerin-ah?” he asked.

She melted like an ice cream.

“A-Anything will do.” She managed to say.

“Forest berries for two in that case.” He ordered.

Initially, Jaerin wanted to pay her share but Lay insisted that it was on him. Sitting at the same table as before, Jaerin the spoonful of ice-cream. Throughout their ice cream date, her eyes did not leave Lay’s flawless and milky coloured face.

How could someone be this perfect?

He finally looked up and they met eyes for a moment.

“Hey.” She began.

Lay continued staring at her as he tilted his head to one side.

“What if I say ‘I like you’?”

Then, time stopped.

 

Author's Note:
I am truly sorry for taking this long to update this story. orz
I was lacking inspiration and waiting for it to come around.
Finally, I could update this one.
Hope you guys enjoyed reading and will leave me a comment.
Have a good day ahead. ^^v