Chapter 6

Another Vampire Story

3rd Person

Jay made his way through The Grove. Instead of going to 14 he turned down the walkway, went up a couple flights of stairs and knocked on the door of 1634.

“I was waiting on you to show up,” Chansung said good-naturedly when he answered the door.

“You were waiting on me? That’s weird dude.”

“I know that you value your relationship with Harley more than you dislike me so this meeting was inevitable.”

“What college guy talks like that in real life? ‘This meeting was inevitable’…you sound mad corny.”

Chansung let out an aggravated sigh. “Please don’t tell me you’re this stupid. You have to be playing with me.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You mean…you really haven’t noticed?”

“Look, I know you’re a vamp if that’s what you mean.”

“Good,” Chansung said. “You really had me going there.”

“Just keep your hands off my woman and we won’t have a problem,” Jay said.

“I guess we’re not going to get along then, because I like Harley, and I know for a fact that I’d be a damn better boyfriend for her than you.”

Jay’s eyes flashed red in anger from the challenge. Was this newbie really trying to step to him over his woman?

“You know she’s marked, right?”

“You haven’t mated her, so that doesn’t really matter. And I know how to rewire her system as well.”

“Harley wouldn’t let that happen.”

“Are you sure?” Chansung asked. “Who does she always end up with after you two get in a fight? Who brings her the drinks she so desperately craves? Which one of us is the gentleman who treats her like she should be treated and which one of us is constantly doing something to make her angry or upset?”

Jay didn’t answer, silently refusing to acknowledge the logic being thrown in his face. But Harley loved him, didn’t she? It didn’t matter what Chansung said because Harley would never leave Jay. She was his.

“I seem to have made my point. Of course, I’d never take her by force. She’d come to me willingly and whatever claim you’ve made to her would be broken the moment she wraps herself in my arms.”

“You’re a creepy kid,” Jay said. “I knew there was something I didn’t like about you.”

“You don’t really mean that Jay. In fact, if we weren’t after the same girl I think we’d be friends.”

“Not likely. Now you listen to me, and listen good you little punk. If you know what’s good for you, you’ll step off.”

“Now do you really want to go there?” Chansung asked. “You’re being very ungrateful to the person who just saved your relationship.”

“ you.”

“Be nice, or I’ll tell Harley.”

“Tell her. What do you think is going to happen?”

“She’ll be angry at you for antagonizing her precious Channie, you’ll be back in the same situation you were in a few hours ago and Harley will turn to me for comfort.”

Jay realized he was stuck. “I don’t like you, but I have to admit that you played this game well.”

“I learned from the Master,” Chansung replied cryptically.

Something about the phrase made the hair on the back on Jay’s neck stand up, but he tried his best to keep his uneasiness under wraps. He left Chansung’s apartment without another word and headed over to see Harley.

 

“Harley?” Jay called, walking in the front door. He made a mental note to remind her that she should lock her doors.

Harley came out of her room. She wordlessly motioned for him to come in and they sat her room without talking for a while.

“I have something to tell you, but you have to promise not to think I’m trying to start something.”

“What is it Jay?”

“Your Chansung boy is a vamp.”

“Really? That would explain some things.”

“You knew?” Jay asked incredulously. How could she know and keep it from him?

“Not exactly. He has the same kind of aura around him as you do, if that makes sense.”

“You can see people’s auras?”

“No. I didn’t mean like that.” Harley sighed, trying to figure out how to word it. “He has the same kind of…pull, as you do, although his is slightly benevolent…I think that’s the word I’m looking for.”

“I was right for not liking him then. He’s gonna try to take you from me.”

Harley laughed. “Don’t be ridiculous. Channie has a harmless crush on me, but that’s all.”

“You have no idea what kind of effect you have on guys, do you?”

“What are you talking about Jay?”

“Just promise me you won’t leave me for that boy. I know I’m kind of an to you sometimes, but I do really like you.”

“I wish I’d recorded that somehow. That’s probably the only time I’d get you to admit that.”

“I’m trying to be serious here.”

“Fine, if it makes you feel better, then I promise that I won’t leave you for Channie.”