Chapter 16

Another Vampire Story

 

3rd Person POV

Three days.

It had been three days since he’d heard from Harley but it felt like three years. He was confused and hurt and angry as well. Pacing his apartment, Jay growled in frustration at the thoughts that had been haunting him recently.

What the hell was Harley’s problem? She’d flipped the hell out over something that had happened close to five hundred years ago. It was a day he had almost forgotten until he’d been reminded of it. So what if he’d bought his girlfriend a necklace? That’s what people did, right? No, he’d never gotten anything like that for Harley, but they’d just gotten on good terms. There just hadn’t been time.

And then she accused him of lying to her. She’d said that he didn’t really love her, that he couldn’t because he was in love with a memory. That stung because it had a ring of truth to it. She’d been wrong to say that he was lying to her. He truly did love her. She was right about Sunny though. He’d probably never be able to not love her until he figured out what happened to her. He wasn’t in love with a memory; he was in some weird stage of mourning. Of course, he’d be lying to himself if he didn’t acknowledge that Harley had been right when she said he looked happy. He’d always been happy with Sunny.

The anger came from a sense of betrayal. She broke up with him, turned away from him, and went right to Chansung. She’d sworn to him that she wouldn’t leave him for that boy and that’s exactly what she did. She clung to him, spent all her time with him. She didn’t even think about Jay once and that hurt more than it should have.

“Damn her,” Jay said. “What does she have to be so ing difficult? What happened in the past should stay in the past. I didn’t go asking her about her exes, so why is she allowed to flip out on me about mine? I should go over there and tell her the hell off, but what good with that do? Besides, she’s probably with her precious Channie.” He said the boy’s name with a sneer. Why him? Anybody but him would have been better.

“Harley Danielle Michaels, by the end of this week I’m coming for you, whether you like it or not,” Jay promised.

******

“What is your progress?” Jin Young asked the boy kneeling before him.

“She has to make a decision by the end of the week. She’ll choose me and I’ll bring her here.”

“And if she doesn’t choose you?”

“She has to choose me.”

“No Chansung, she doesn’t have to do anything. She could just as easily go back to the other one. What’s stopping her?”

“I’ve been there for her the whole time. I treat her better than he does. It just makes sense.”

“Listen to me my son. Humans, especially human females, are fickle creatures. They don’t use logic for these kinds of things. Again I must ask, if she doesn’t choose you, what will you do?”

“You can have her then,” Chansung said, his voice hardening. “Do with her what you will.”

“If I take her, will he come?”

“I don’t doubt it.”

“How sure of this are you my son?”

“Completely. He won’t just let her get away like this.”

“Very well then. Continue your mission. Do not fail me.”

Chansung disappeared into the shadows and Jin Young sat back in his desk. It felt as though he’d been transported back hundreds of years ago. The young vampire was so obsessed with the young mortal that he started to lose focus on the mission. He couldn’t lose Chansung like he lost the other one so he couldn’t count on the same events that had happened to the other girl happening to this new one.

It really to have your plans derailed by your own child.