21.

A Second Chance

THE large domed room did not look like it belonged in a stone castle. It resembled not even the deepest part of the forests but was filled from floor to ceiling with different kinds of plants. Dada could recognise several types but couldn’t place half the ones he saw. The room shone like it was day time but there was no sun or even a hole in the roof. The vines and moss crept across and met on either side forming a roof of green.

Both Matoki were awestruck at the sight. It was a something they’d only heard in stories and legends about how the planet had been before the Tyrant invasion. The room had an almost magical sense to it, something fictional come to life. They began to move around the room, discovering even more plants than they’d been able to see from the doorway. Before they’d realised they’d done it, both had taken off their masks, filling their lungs with the fresh air that they’d never expected to breath in that place.

Joko stepped across a big root but slipped on a cold stone on the opposite side. The stone was not like those that formed the castle walls, it was something he would have found out in the forest. As Joko picked himself up his eyes caught movement. He spun quickly but Dad was nearly 20 feet away. Joko turned back to see the thing flicker in his peripheral vision. He kept spinning to try and catch sight of it until Dada scolded him to look around more.

“It’s probably just a bug. Go look over there.” His words were not muffled like usual behind the mask, it was almost a new sound to them. Dada pointed to a large cluster of trees covered in vines and hanging roots the veiled the centre of the room. The trees reached up to the top while the vines stretched down. Joko fumbled his way over, climbing across the nature that was so foreign to its location.

He steadied himself on a mess of stringy roots as he placed his hands on the rough wood of a branch. He paused to collect his anxiety and wonder into some sense of courage to pull the vine aside. He froze from shock at the snapping sounds that reverberated throughout the dome. He looked back to Dada, whose ears twitched, listening for any sounds of roars or heavy footfalls. Soon enough Dada splayed his paws, egging Joko on. The latter pulled again but didn’t stop a second time. Dada moved over silently, helping his friend with one last tug. They peered inside as the loud snaps dissipated once more.

Inside the tree was bright like the room but it lacked most of the flora. The hollow was an egg shape big enough for both Matoki to fit comfortably. They slid in and stared up as the space constricted into a tube that reached up to find the stone roof before dispersing out.

Despite the awe they felt at the natural monument, it was a much smaller thing that held their attention. In the centre of the hollow an old stone pedestal protruded from up from the carpet of roots. It was engraved with delicate spirals and a large round plate rested upon the column. Moss blanketed the stone circle and crept over the lip towards the base. Atop it all was a small bird. Dada knew by his first look that it was only a baby. It was difficult to look at. The two could tell this was the source of the light and plants. They weren’t sure how they knew, but it didn’t scare them that they did. The small chick was as black as night, so dark to the point that it almost seemed to in the light as well as exude it. Dada reached out to it, touching the soft feathers to which his hand was lost. It looked like one big black ball with fluffed edges. That was except for the bright green helmet that surrounded its eyes and formed its beak. Dada moved his hands further along the placid bird to touch the structure, small, jet black eyes peeking up at him. It was bone.

Dada was most surprised at how serene he felt. Originally he was scared, that the bird could harm them despite how small it looked, but he could feel how calm it was underneath his paw. He motioned towards Joko who stepped forward unsteadily. Joko reached out to meet Dada’s hand and felt the overwhelmingly velvet feathers. Like his friend’s, his hand got lost amongst them, the light unable to penetrate to any extent. The two jumped when they heard a quiet whistle and the bird nuzzled into their touch. The whistle was curiously comforting and they responded to the bird. Another whistle came but this time formed into a melody. The chick had opened its beak only a little, unnoticeable to the stunned Matoki. Its song quietened them beyond their present silence. Their hearts slowed from their shock and their breaths steadied to match the pace. The castle rumbled, shaking slightly and the melody ceased with the chick’s quiet squawk. Dada and Joko felt a new instinct to protect the creature wash over them. It took hold of them senses and they reacted immediately.

Dada picked up the chick and both Matoki refastened their masks before stepping out of the egg like hollow. Dada forced all his muscles to clench around the tiny bird but in a way as to cradle it safely. He felt his heart skip a beat when it nuzzled into him again, soft against his chest. They made their way to the corridor they’d come through, Joko leading, admittedly anxiously, as they worked through the castle away from the roars of the Tyrants. Joko’s brows knitted together and wouldn’t part, his heart beating for his brothers who he knew were fighting.

After what they could only guess was a few hours, Joko, Dada and the chick found the large entrance hall to the castle. It had no roof, like many other parts to the castle, and was bathed in a bright red glow. They blinked several times before adjusting to the new light. It hadn’t been as dark during their return trip because of the natural light the chick seemed to bring to its surroundings. Before they stepped off a large staircase towards the exit, a large ship hummed above them, hovering downwards until it landed in the centre of the room.

“Commander Tats?” The two Matoki on the stairs went wide-eyed and their hearts almost stopped.

 

 


 

So, um.......there's only going to be about 5 or so more chapters....it's so close to the end you don't even know but hey i'm actually considering a sequel so let me know what you think? i've already got ideas and it would probs end with them going to earth so it depends on how much people like this :)

Anyway, enjoy~!