6.

A Second Chance

 “TATS I don’t seem to understand what you’re doing anymore?” He fondled the claw that had been passed from Keke to Tats to himself. “Getting back on track is a priority alright?” The old Matoki had been shooting stern looks across the room all morning as he scolded the younger. They were inside another silver dome, larger than the rest. Thick marble stairs started halfway in, forming a thinning tower of circular stone. In the centre of the staircase sat a large ornate chair, made from the trees of the Wood and carved with the stories of Matoki legends.

The commander knelt on the middle step, below the Matoki who sat with the dignity of a leader despite his age and gnarled wooden staff. His eyes were worn and his lids lowered with the weight of time. His own mask was faded and dark green, far from the original colour that only he could remember. He had been the leader for almost as long as the Tyrants had inhabited the planet, he was Maki the Matoki King.

“I am handling this to the best of my ability.”

“Your best doesn’t seem to be enough.” Maki shook his head wearily as the commander sighed.

“He will not be allowed on lone patrols again.”

“He wasn't alone, and he will just sneak out, like last time. This colony is too new Commander. I will not let him destroy this one as well. This was too close to here to be finding them. If what Dada said was true and he felt it in the Wood, it is far too close. Deal with it Tats or I’ll deal with you.” With a wave of the old Matoki’s hand, Tats fled from his cool anger. Another Matoki shut the large doors behind the commander and moved up the staircase to her father.

“Yoyo, I feel so lost. I don’t want to lose another place like this. There are no more places to hide and we are nowhere near ready for anything else.” The purple masked girl nodded. She pulled her father close, an arm stretched across his shoulders.

“You can do it papa. He may be unruly but I know he’ll help. Something big will happen soon and we won’t have to hide, you can feel it too,” she placed a paw over his chest, “in here.”

Maki smiled and placed his hand over hers. After a short pause they came back to their present situation. “I've got to go now. Lots of things to plan before the big day, I have orders to give!” She grinned and the old Matoki smiled at the rise of her cheeks.

As she rushed out the door she followed the path of the commander.

“Yah! Commander Tats! I need to speak with you!” She hollered across the clearing and he jogged over when he recognised his caller. Yoyo motioned to move into an empty meeting space, a tiny dome compared to most others. They sat at the large table, her at the head and him to her left. “Alright, you heard what the leader said; you have to deal with this.” Tats nodded. “You know he’s the only who can do this right? And now he knows that we know.” He nodded again. “But all this lone ranger stuff can’t be happening.”

“So you want me to…?”

“He’s already a team player, but make it so that’s all he is.” With a final nod, Yoyo stood as did the commander. “Make sure it’s done by the end of the first moon.” Tats sighed and fell into the chair after she left.