7.

A Second Chance

TENSION filled the room, making every move difficult. Joko continued his work on the generators, every few minutes mentioning his progress to no one in particular. Shishi was digging in the neck of his robot, attempting to perfect the wiring. Dada fiddled with a gun. Joko had begun making it before he was asked to work on the generators. Dada took out a screw driver and resumed the gun’s construction with intermittent grunts of approval.

Soon after he became bored with gun and moved over to the small desk against the far wall. He picked up some tools that lay on it, curious as to why they sat on the edge. He slipped onto the chair and examined a few more tools. As he lifted his knee he accidently shook the table. The harsh silence of the room, filled before with rattles of machinery, was broken by a low whoosh.

From the middle of the table, a cylindrical canister rose. A gasp replaced the whoosh as Dada saw the silver orb, floating in the centre of the canister.

“How’d you get this!?” He stared at Joko who only stuttered.

“Yo-you know what that is!?”

They shared a confused and suspicious look. Other Matoki in the room were staring at the trio as Joko soon felt a strong grip on his neck with Shishi growling in his face.

“Answer. The. Question.” He spat each word with emphasis.

Joko spluttered but answered quickly. “The commander gave it to me!” The pressure on his neck released and he took a deep breath, rubbing at his throat. Dada’s eyes flickered between the yellow mask and the orb. His finger found its way to Joko’s face.

“Then you know what it is!” His eyes were wide and crazed as he pushed against Joko’s nose. The latter nodded and Dada’s finger followed his snout the whole way. “And what it’s for?” He pushed harder and Joko nodded again. “Does it have anything to do with the generators?” Dada was calmer but his finger suggested otherwise.

“A little, they’re not for the same purpose though.” Fear was rocking Joko’s stomach; he was never okay when Dada was mad. Dada mirrored Joko’s previous movements and nodded.

“Then what’s it for!?” Shishi was in his face this time, blocking Dada’s finger and Joko was thankful but frightened at the same time.

“I’m not supposed to tell!” He quivered. “They won’t keep it from you for long though," his eyes widened and tried to take in Shishi's reaction which stayed cool and ambiguous. "You’re the one using it. And by the end of the two moons too.” He gave a dirty look and nod to the Matoki in front of him who took a step back and released Joko's neck. He rubbed at the sore muscles of his throat that would surely bruise invisibly under his skin.

A loud snarl and a clatter ripped through the room as Shishi flipped another small table. The other two jumped and stared at their friend. He smacked on the door when it didn’t open quickly enough and was gone with a flash of red. Joko glanced at Dada who thumped his fist against the table the orb floated above then pressed the button. It moved silently into the desk as Joko’s panting filled his ears.

"Just...just get back to work. If what you say is true," he rubbed his face with both hands, "then we need to keep working."

Joko just nodded and moved back to the generators.

 

 

-----------

so short chapter is short >.< I'm not good at writing long stuff cos i like to be direct. anyway thats not important ^-^ i hope you've enjoyed it so far lol please keep commenting and stuff~! <3 Thankyou >.<