10.

A Second Chance

SHISHI was sitting silently, eyes closed, facing the Wood. He had sat at the edge of the forest since dawn, flooding his memories with different scenes, happy and sad, attempting to shake away the sense of dread that had begun to manifest in the pit of his stomach. Joko and Tats watched from afar as the time to interrupt drew near. The other Matoki behind them prepared the ship noisily inside the workshop.

The two glanced at each other, and after a firm nod from the commander, Joko moved towards the trees. He cleared his throat and saw Shishi’s ear perk at the noise.

“Yes?” The sound came quietly and Shishi did not turn.

“Uh well, we have to go soon, and you need to get ready.” Joko’s timid voice made Shishi’s ears twitch again in resignation. Joko stepped back as the other grabbed his knees and pulled himself erect. He turned to face Joko with intent in his eyes.

“Let’s get this over with.”

They moved into the workshop together and Shishi noticed the sharp nod the Joko shared with Commander before the latter moved off with the ground division. The roof of the workshop opened above them with a deafening metallic hum, exposing the black and grey, glowing cloud cover.

Shishi relished in the thrill of the fight. He could feel his adrenaline pumping, his heart getting faster as he felt the weightlessness of flight. He heard the whizz of the ship’s engines through the thick metal walls and whirring of the inner mechanics through the floor.

His stomach was still uncomfortable. He was prepared to fight, but not entirely for what was in the cylinder. Doubt clouded his mind again despite the hours he’d spent in reflection. His eyes flickered to Joko who was giving directions to other Matoki on the ship. His eyes met Shishi’s and he moved over to him.

“You good? I just need to let you know how it works.” Joko raised his voice to be heard over the ship. They moved to the cylinder and the door opened silently in the din. “I’ve secured some straps to it this morning, that way you can carry it but still be able to fight.” Shishi’s mind froze at the idea of how long he would have the sphere for, if he needed to fight while still carrying it. “This is the bit you pull…” He drowned Joko out, easily done with the ship roaring away. He still wasn’t sure where he was supposed to be dropping the sphere, nor what it would do when he had. His ears perked at the sound of Joko’s voice, distractedly noting the drop point. “You need to get to the hanger, it’s hard to know where it is for sure, but according the commander it shouldn’t be too far from where you’re dropped.” Shishi finally realised the purpose of the sphere. And why he was the one to take it. “Make sure that when you’re ready, and only when you know you’re able to get out quick, press this button.” Joko pointed to the large circle, disbelief colouring his mind at the idea that he’d only assembled it the day before.

A short sharp nod was all Shishi could muster with his current thoughts as he turned away. Joko could sense Shishi’s tension and placed a hand on his shoulder. He snapped around. “Will I get out in time?”

Joko could see Shishi’s eyes clearly, and how they were filling up. “The sphere is an amplifier; the explosion should be 10 times that of the orb alone. It will be quick,” he shot Shishi a small smile, “but you’re faster.”