Chapter 1

I Belong To You

Mee-Yon stood on the bridge in front of a park anxiously awaiting the arrival of her boyfriend, BongChol.Rocking back and forth on the tip of her toes, constantly checking her watch and outfit, she wanted everything to be perfect for him.  

As he appeared over the hill she waved her arms in the air, signaling where she was. Walking over to her Bong Chol kissed her on the cheek, before looking around.

 
“Happy Anniversary, Oppa!” BongChol gave an uneasy smile, “Oh, Mee…I didn’t..” 
 
BongChol was cut off by Mee-Yon. “Oppa, I think for our anniversary we should--”
 
“I think we should just be friends.”
 
Mee-Yon stood before him, dazed and confused.
 
“What?”
 
“It’s over Mee-Yon.”

She stood before him, speechless. She felt her eyes burn as they filled up with tears as a small lump started to form in as she spoke, “ B-But why?” 
 
“I feel that it would be best if we were just friends.” 
 
“Just friends.” those words itself crushed her, as they bounced through her head. 
 
A short silence surrounded the two for a moment, Mee-Yon stared at her feet. BongChol waited for Mee-Yon as if she were to agree with him, but she didn’t she just stared at the ground. BongChol put his hand on her shoulder in a poor and lazy attempt to comfort her, “Mee, I know you’re hurt but just think of all the good times we had together--”
 
“How?”
 
“How what?”  BongChol gave Mee-Yon a confused and slightly irritated look as if he didn’t want to talk about the situation anymore.
 
Mee-Yon’s head rose as she slowly repeated , “How can we still be friends after all we’ve been through? All the memories, all the time we spent together laughing and crying. We became so close, I thought that you loved--” 
 
BongChol impatient , interrupted her ,” I never loved you--”  
 
Mee-Yon’s eyes began to fill with tears, the lump in became even harder to swallow. BongChol could see her face flush all color. 
 
He sighed and rubbed the back of his head. 
 
“Park Mee-Yon, When I first met you I felt a sense of pity for you, and as I got to know you it grew. You reminded me of an ugly wet puppy in the rain. When we were together the hugs, the kisses, the gifts everything was out of pity, I’m sorry--” 
 
Before he could finish his sentence Mee Yon’s hand struck his face, hard. 
 
“H-HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT TO ME!” Mee-Yon’s voice shook with anger as she spoke.
 
“I -I knew I was a fool to believe that someone actually liked me and thought I was special. And to think all of all those nights I stayed up late waiting for your call because I was so worried that you might not make it home every night, or the gifts I took hours on making you for anniversaries that you forgot about..” Mee-Yon reached into her purse and pulled out a small wooden box with letters in carved on it. She opened it revealing a ring with the small print “Bong Chol” on it. 
 
Tears started to fall down her cheeks.  
 
“It was a complete waste of time.” She threw the box on the ground and stomed off. Bong Chol bent down and picked it up, a note falling out.
 
“Happy Anniversary! Thank you for being there when I needed you the most. You are more special to me than anything else in the world. I hope you smile for the same reason I do when we look at each other.
 
-Love Park Mee-Yon