08

Unplanned Happiness

 

Siwon stretched his arms out of exhaustion after the long trip from Nana’s hometown while Nana was resting on the couch.

Siwon walked to the couch and slumped on to the couch.

“Ah, home sweet home.” Siwon said.

“I miss halmeoni already. Too bad I need to start working tomorrow. I wish I could stay longer.” Siwon turned to his left and greeted by Nana’s smiling face.

“Me too but your work is important too.” Nana said.

“Yeah..” Siwon replied shortly and silence followed soon after.

Nana turned to her right to ask Siwon something that she had been meaning to ask since forever.

“I’m curious tho, why did you want to be an architect?”

“Well, I love architecture, a lot.”

“But I think my grandpa was the greatest influence in my decision to be an architect.”

“Once he said, there’s unexplainable kind of satisfaction when you see your family loved the home that you’ve built for them. When you designed a home for your wife and kids to live in and they loved it, that’s best feeling ever.”

“From the moment he told me that, I decided to become an architect just like him and build a house full of warmth for my family.”

“Oh, so you’re inspired by your grandpa.” Nana said and Siwon replied with a nod.

Moment of silence soon followed up.

“You hungry?” Siwon asked out of the blue.

“Yeah..”

“If you want, I’ll go and fix something for dinner.” Nana said, readied to get up.

“Let’s go out for dinner.” Siwon said as he held Nana’s hand.

“Are you sure?”

“Of course. Your treat.” Siwon smiled mischievously.

“If that’s case, I’m not going.” Nana crossed her arms.

“Chill, it’s my treat. Come on, let’s go.”  Siwon grabbed Nana’s hand and held it firmly.

Nana smiled at the interaction.

RIP cold side of Choi Siwon. *cross fingers* Nana thought and smiled.

---

Siwon brought his pillows and blanket out to the living room. Even tho, he and Nana shared a room together at halmeoni’s house but that was solely because they were afraid halmeoni would suspect anything if they were sleeping in separate room. Now, they are back at Siwon’s apartment, everything is back to normal. Siwon in the living room and Nana in Siwon’s room. Both of them were not ready to share a room and a bed with each other even though they were less awkward with each other right now.

Siwon laid down on his sofa bed and rested his head on his right arm, reflecting.

What happened to you, Choi Siwon?

You know everything between you and her is temporary and she will leave you eventually like every woman did to you.

You’re supposed to be cold and heartless.

But no, you chose to be the opposite and took the risk and slowly opening your heart again.

You are getting weaker and weaker each day because of her.

Im Nana, what have you done to me? Siwon heaved a sigh at the thoughts and closed his eyes.

---

It was already 1 a.m but Nana still couldn’t sleep due to the sounds of thunders and lightning outside. She had always been scared of lightning and thunder.

She decided to walk out to the living room hoping that Siwon was still awake. At least Siwon could stay up with her because she really couldn’t sleep.

“Siwon-sshi..” Nana whispered but no response.

“Siwon-sshi..” She whispered again, poking Siwon’s nose but Siwon was still deep asleep.

“Your daddy is seriously a heavy sleeper, baby. I hope you don’t inherit this trait from your daddy..” Nana said to her tummy.

Nana decided to walk back to her room after unsuccessfully waking up her husband.

She went to her bed and closed her eyes, trying to force herself to sleep. Suddenly, a lightning strike and soon followed by a loud sound of thunder shocked Nana and she got up from her bed again.

“Ah, if this continues, I’ll look like a panda tomorrow morning.” Nana whined.

Again, she walked to the living room for her second attempt for her operation. Operation: Waking up Siwon.

“Siwon-sshi…” She whispered a lil bit louder this time while gently pushing Siwon’s arm.

Siwon moved a bit and half-opened his right eye.

“Siwon-sshi…” Nana called.

“Nana-sshi…?” Siwon mumbled, half awake.

“What’s wrong?” He mumbled again and squinted.

“Can..Can.. I sleep here tonight?” Nana carefully asked.

“Just for tonight.”

“Why? Is there anything wrong?”

“I’m afraid of the thunders.”

“Thunder? Oh okay. Here…” Siwon moved his body to give space for Nana.

Nana carefully placed herself on the sofa bed tucking herself under Siwon’s blanket and used Siwon’s arm as her pillow.

“Feeling better now?” Siwon asked while their faces were just inches apart that Nana could feel his warm breath. Nana could feel her heart raced at the closeness.

Nana just nodded.

“Alright. Sweet dreams then.” Siwon said as he continued his sleep.

Thunders kept on crashing outside but Nana could care less. She felt more secure when Siwon was next to her. It didn’t take long until Nana drifted off to dream land.

---

Siwon was greeted by a sight of serenely-looking Nana who was still asleep. His lips unknowingly curved into a smile at the sight.

“Beautiful…” Siwon murmured while caressing Nana’s cheek with the back of his hand.

Nana slowly fluttered her eyes open feeling something on her cheeks. Siwon quickly removed his hand before Nana noticed.

“Good morning…” Siwon greeted.

“Morning..” Nana smiled.

“What time is it now?” Nana asked.

“I don’t know..”

“Aren’t you supposed to get ready for work now?”

“Too lazy to go to work.”

“You lazybum.” Nana pinched Siwon’s nose lightly and Siwon smiled in amusement.

“Go and wash up or else you’ll be late for work.” Nana slowly got up from the sofa bed and went to the bedroom to fetch Siwon’s towel.

“Here’s your towel, I’ll fix breakfast for you.” Nana said as she handed the towel to Siwon.

“Thanks..” Siwon smiled and went to the bathroom to wash up.

---

A couple of months have passed and their relationship was improving every single day. The bedroom was always empty as Nana preferred to be on the sofa bed with her husband. She loved the warmth emitted by Siwon’s body. They had grown fonder of each other but neither of them was sure enough about their own feelings. They were just following the flow of this relationship.

Nana was in her eighth month pregnancy at the moment and she had gained some weight due to her pregnancy cravings.

“Take a day off tomorrow okay?” Nana said to Siwon while they were watching TV.

“Why?”

“Tomorrow I’ll have my monthly pregnancy check up and we’ll have our first baby ultrasound!” Nana said excitedly. She had been waiting for this moment since forever. The scanning was delayed a couple of times due to the doctor’s schedule but tomorrow, her wait is finally over.

“Really?!” Siwon widened his eyes in excitement.

“Okay, I’ll surely take a day off tomorrow. Finally, we’ll be able to see our baby.” Siwon held his wife’s hands.

He just couldn’t wait to catch a glimpse of his baby.

---

The doctor was trying to get an image of the baby on the screen.

“There! There’s your baby Mrs. Choi.” The doctor said as she pointed to the screen showing unclear image of the baby.

Nana and Siwon couldn’t contain their excitement upon seeing the image.

“Our baby..” Nana smiled to Siwon while her eyes glistened with tears, overwhelmed by all sorts of emotions.

“Yes..our baby..” Siwon smiled and unknowingly kissed Nana’s forehead. His lips just did it out of mind control. Nana’s cheeks turned slightly pink after Siwon did that.

“Oh, the baby is doing great.” The doctor said as she pointed to the ultrasound screen.

“Thank goodness..” Nana said as she sighed in relief.

“You’re gonna have a good-looking baby, I reckon. Because you guys are sure a very beautiful couple.” The doctor smiled at them.

Nana and Siwon just laughed lightly at the compliment.

“You guys wanna know the gender?” The doctor asked.

“Um..We would like it to be a surprise.” Siwon said and Nana just nodded.

“So you guys like surprises huh? Okay.” The doctor smiled at the couple.

---

“I need to go to work now. I just got a call from Donghae.” Siwon said.

“I thought you took a day off today?”

“Yeah, but unfortunately there’s something wrong with the project that we’re working on right now so I need to go and check it out.”

“Okay then..Be careful.” Nana sighed.

“I’ll take you out for dinner, I promise.” Siwon said as he left the apartment.

“What a bummer…” Nana sighed.

They rarely spent time together lately because Siwon was busy working on a new project. Just when she thought she could spend the whole day with her husband, work was calling her husband.

---

Siwon pulled out a piece from his drawer. It was the contract which he and Nana signed before their marriage. The contract which stated that the marriage will be nullified once their baby was born.

I can’t believe I made her sign this…

The reason why Siwon made that contract was because he couldn’t afford to be broken-hearted again. All the women he dated always left him and he was somewhat traumatized to be in a relationship again. He just couldn’t risk his heart to be in love again.

He tried to be cold and heartless towards Nana, repeatedly reminding himself not to fall in love but he couldn’t. His heart chose to love again. 

I’m gonna tell you how I feel about you tonight, Nana…

He hadn’t stated those three special words yet even though his actions towards Nana screamed those three words.

Tonight, we will open up a new chapter together…

Siwon smiled at the thought and brought the paper together with him.

On his way home, he decided to stop by the flower shop, to buy a bouquet of roses for Nana.

---

*The doorbell rings*

“Did he forget to bring his keys?” Nana wondered as she got up from the couch to open the door.

When she opened the door, the person she saw was seriously not the person she had expected to see.

“Hi…” The person greeted with a bouquet of flowers on his hand.

“Ni—Nichkhun-sshi..?” Nana’s eyes widened in surprise of seeing Nichkhun standing in front of her.

Uh-Oh. This is not good.