10

Unplanned Happiness

 

It had been more than a week since Siwon left home. He had been drowning himself in alcohols to free his mind from the thoughts of Nana. He seemed really miserable with an unshaved face and untidy clothes.

“One more.” Siwon slurred.

The bartender obeyed and quickly filled Siwon’s glass.

Siwon was about to drink his next shot when a voice stopped him from proceeding.

 “I figure you’ll be here.” The voice said.

Siwon turned around to find out the source of the voice.

“Tch, look who’s here. The son of a who ruined my whole life.” Siwon said sarcastically. It was none other than Nichkhun, the last person who he wanted to see or rather not seeing at the moment.

“Get out from my sight.” Siwon snapped. He held his glass, ready to gulp down its content but Nichkhun stopped him.

“You’ve had enough Siwon-sshi.”

“Mind your own business bastard.” Siwon said and removed Nichkhun’s grip from his hand.

“I may be a bastard but at least I’m not a fool like you.” Nichkhun said.

“Yes, I’m a fool. So?” Siwon gulped down the content of his glass in one shot. He then took out a $100 note from his pocket and left it on the bar. Nichkhun just ruined his mood and he decided to leave.

“Get out of my way.” Siwon pushed Nichkhun to the side harshly as he tried to make his way to the exit.

“Running away from your problem won’t help you in any way, coward!” Nichkhun raised his voice which turned the heads of the other customers at the bar.

Siwon just ignored Nichkhun’s remark and just continued to make his way to the exit.

“YOU ARE A COWARD, LOSER AND A FOOL, CHOI SIWON!” Nichkhun shouted.

Siwon stopped his steps when he heard that. He balled up his fist tightly that his knuckles turned white. This time, he couldn’t ignore what Nichkhun said.

Siwon turned around and glared at Nichkhun.

“What did you say?” Siwon asked while clenching his fist.

“I said, YOU ARE A FOOL!” Nichkhun purposely heating Siwon up and of course it really heated up the already in rage Siwon.

Siwon charged towards Nichkhun and grabbed his collar tightly.

 “YES, I AM A FOOL! I AM A FOOL FOR NOT KNOWING MY WIFE CHEATED WITH A SON OF A LIKE YOU BEHIND MY BACK! HAPPY NOW?!” Siwon exploded which attracted the attention of other customers at the bar.

“YOUR WIFE NEVER CHEATED ON YOU! I MADE UP ALL THOSE STORIES AND YOU ARE A FOOL FOR BELIEVING ALL OF THOSE LIES!” Nichkhun shouted against Siwon’s face and removed Siwon’s grip on his collar.

“You expect me to believe what you said huh?! Look, if you’re trying to cover up for her then you are wasting your time. I’m sending the divorce paper soon.” Siwon said insolently while glaring at Nichkhun.

“If you don’t believe me, at least believe your own wife! If she said, she never cheated then you should believe her!” Nichkhun raised his voice.

“Look, stop with all your rubbish, can you? Because you’re just wasting your time.” Siwon said insolently and turned around to leave. He couldn’t afford to hear what Nichkhun had to say next. He had enough with all these.

Nichkhun was clenching his teeth when he saw Siwon was about to leave. He briskly walked towards Siwon and grabbed his right shoulder and forcefully turned him around to give him a punch on the face. He couldn’t hold it any longer, he was so frustrated with Siwon. Siwon fell to the ground when Nichkhun punched him.

“Ow!” Siwon winced while he was touching the bleeding cut on the corner of his lips.

“You’re so selfish Siwon! Do you know that?!” Nichkhun clenched his teeth trying to control himself from giving Siwon another blow. Siwon quickly got up on his feet. He was about to punch Nichkhun back when Nichkhun raised his voice which halted his attempt.

“You think you’re the only one who’s hurting?!”

“You have no idea how miserable Nana looks right now ever since you left her! Her condition is even worst than yours!”

“What do you mean by that?” Siwon asked as he lowered his arm. Concern evident in his voice. No matter how much he tried to ignore his feelings but deep inside, he still cared about Nana a lot.

“For the past few days, I’ve been visiting her but she wouldn’t talk to anyone. She kept calling your name and whenever she did that, her eyes would well up with tears because she missed you so much.” Nichkhun said when he recalled Nana’s conditions.

“She has not been eating very well nowadays and that’s not good for a pregnant woman like her.”

Sense of guilt began to build up inside Siwon when he heard that.

“I couldn’t bear to see her in that condition so I decided to look for you because I know, you’re only one who can cheer her up again. Not me, but you, Siwon.” Nichkhun said.

“I swear to God, she never cheated on you, Siwon. I tried to persuade her to leave you but she refused to do so.”

Siwon didn’t know why but he couldn’t sense any insincerity in Nichkhun’s words.

“You know what her reason is?”

“She told me, she loves you and she couldn’t be happier with anyone else other than you.” Nichkhun continued.

That remark pierced right into Siwon’s heart. His wife’s confession on the day he left was still fresh in his memory. His anger and pride made him ignored the sincere confession and heartlessly left his wife.

“Your baby is due soon and the person who she needs the most right is you, Siwon. Her husband.”  Nichkhun said as he put his hand on Siwon’s shoulder.

.“So, please Siwon. Stop punishing her.”

He thought he was hurting the most but he was wrong. He was punishing his wife for something she never did.

“Why are you doing this? You can easily take advantage of our situation.” Siwon wondered why Nichkhun was trying to mend their relationship.

“Because you’re her everything now, not me.” Nichkhun’s heart throbbed in pain when he said that. For sure, it wouldn’t be easy for him to let go of Nana but he had to. Nana’s happiness was everything to him.

“So, I hope you trust her more now. Never doubt her if you truly loves her.” Nichkhun said.

“I hate to say this but thank you for this wake up call Khun.” Siwon pointed to the cut on the corner of his lips.

“You need it anyway.” Nichkhun laughed lightly.

“Now, go. Don’t keep her waiting any longer. You’ve made her wait too long.” Nichkhun patted Siwon’s shoulder.

Siwon replied with a quick nod and briskly made his way to the exit.

Nichkhun was relieved that Siwon finally believed him. This was the least he could do for Nana. Besides, he started this mess so he needed to clean up his own mess.

---

Siwon stared at his apartment’s door, wondering what he should say when he met Nana after more than a week of separation.

He couldn’t bring himself to face Nana again because of the mounting guilt inside him.

After gathering his courage, he turned the door knob and stepped inside.

The moment he entered inside his apartment, he saw Nana was sitting on the couch staring blankly at the table.

Siwon froze on his spot not knowing what to do nor say. He just kept on staring on the face that he had longed to see for the past few days. The face that occupied his mind days and nights.

Nana, on the other hand, felt the presence of someone near the door. She turned her head to the side and a gasp escaped from when she saw a sight upon her.

She slowly stood up from her seat wondering if the sight upon her was real or just her imagination.

“Si--Siwon-sshi…” Nana called faintly as soon as she was able to bring herself to utter something. Her eyes glistened with tears overwhelmed by the pain of longing for this man who was standing not far way from her.

“Nana-sshi…” Siwon called as he slowly made his way towards Nana. Likewise, Nana was also slowly making her way towards Siwon.

As they were only a few metres away, their steps stopped. They were frozen on their spots while their eyes were locked in a stare that only both of them could comprehend. Tears rolled down freely from Nana’s eyes while on the other side, tears stung the corner of Siwon’s eyes.

Siwon could finally found some strength to move nearer towards Nana. He brought his hand near to Nana’s face and his thumb wiped off the tears on Nana’s cheeks. He brought Nana closer to him and embraced her. As he closed his eyes, tears finally made their way out.

No words were exchanged between both of them except for a sound of Nana’s sobbing. Both of them tightened the embrace. Only God knew how much they missed each other’s touch.

Nana was sobbing on Siwon’s chest unleashing all of her longing. Only God knew how much she missed this warm hug.

“This isn’t a dream right?” Nana asked in between her sobs. She was afraid that it was only a dream.

“No, it’s really me honey.” Siwon whispered.

Siwon let go of the embrace and cupped Nana’s face while his thumbs wiped away the tears on Nana’s cheeks.

“You look so thin…” Siwon said as he noticed how thin Nana’s face had became.

“You too..” Nana said as she was caressing Siwon’s unshaved face. She also noticed that Siwon looked a lil bit thinner.

“I’m so sorry…” Siwon said as he stared into Nana’s eyes. His sense of guilt still hadn’t left him.

“No, you don’t have to apologise. I’m the one at fault here. I shouldn’t have let Nichkhun---“ Nana’s trailed off when Siwon cut her.

“No no, you didn’t do anything wrong. Nichkhun has explained it to me. I shouldn’t have doubted you.” Siwon said as he caressed Nana’s cheeks.

“Nichkhun did? When did he meet you?” Nana was very surprised that Nichkhun was actually willing to do that.

“It doesn’t matter now. What matters now is, we are together again. It’s the only thing that matters now.” Siwon smiled as he stared lovingly into Nana’s eyes.

Nana smiled and replied with a nod.

Siwon continued to caress Nana’s face lovingly. He just couldn’t take his eyes off her.

“I love you.” Siwon said as he kissed Nana’s forehead lovingly. He finally able to utter those three words again after a series of failed relationships. With Nana, he finally found a reason to love again.

Nana was quite surprised but in a good way when she heard what Siwon just said to her. She knew how hard it had been for Siwon to utter those words again but she was glad that Siwon had overcome this.

“So much..” He continued as he kissed the tip of Nana’s nose.

“Me too..” Nana smiled and stared lovingly at Siwon.

“Don’t you dare to leave me again..” Nana said and playfully glared at Siwon.

“I won’t, I promise.” Siwon laughed lightly.

“You’re mine, Choi Siwon.” Nana said as she enveloped her arms around Siwon’s neck.

“I’m yours, Im Nana.” Siwon smiled before he captured Nana’s lips.

A tear of happiness escaped from Nana’s right eye. She finally got back together with the person she loved the most. What more could she ask for?

---

I'm sorry if the story is getting kinda boring. :(