Can I have this dance?

The City Princess

 

“Jude, you have to put your right hand on Halley’s waist” Madam Claire said. Jude followed Madam Claire without hesitating and put his right hand on Halley’s waist.

“Then Halley, you have to put left hand on Jude’s shoulder” She also did what she was told. Madam Claire continued, “Jude, gently pull Halley a little closer to you. A little more! Closer as if you’re going to kiss her!” Halley was startled and broke free.

“I just said as if, Halley. Go back to your position!” Madam Claire cleared. She went back to her position and put her left hand on Jude’s shoulder as he slowly began pulling her.

“So? Are we going to kiss?” Jude whispered softly to Halley.

“No. You’re just trying to see me blush again” she whispered back.

“You’re admitting that – “

“Quiet Jude! In waltz you have to swaying slowly and softly, okay? So as I play the music do whatever I told you to!” Madam Claire said. Then she played the music and both of them started swaying gently. It was light and easy but how come Jude knew what to do? Halley thought.

“I’ll just go to my room to get something. Be sure to sway like you’re married already. I’ll be back!” Madam Claire said and walked away.

“So…how did you learn how to dance waltz? I thought you’re not good in dancing?” Halley asked.

“I was joking so I could get your hopes up” Jude said while smiling.

“You’ve done it very well!” she praised him. Then suddenly a loud banging from the other room disturbed them. “Do you want to waltz outside?” Jude asked.

“Uhh…Sure” she replied. Jude got the player while Halley got the cd. Then they played the music and started waltzing in peace.

“Are you enjoying your stay at your dear palace, princess?” he asked again.

“Yes, my dear prince. How about you?” she asked him.

“As long as I’m with you!” he answered. Jude started pulling Halley a little closer than ever and began moving his face closer to Halley as if to kiss her. Halley was surprised but still kept her cool. When her lips are less than one centimeter away from Jude, Madam Claire started walking towards them. Jude moved his face away quickly from Halley’s face so Madam Claire won’t suspect.

“Why haven’t you told me that you went here?” she asked.

“There’s a loud noise inside the palace. But still, we continued waltzing, right Jude?” Halley said.

“Right you are, my princess” Jude replied.

They continued waltzing for two weeks. After that, they had Viennese waltz next. They practiced and practiced in the garden until the end of the month arrived again.

“Are you ready?” Jude asked.

“Still nervous though” Halley said, looking down.

“Look at me” He held her face upward and in eye level and said “You can do this you know. We can do this. Let’s start?”

“Okay…let’s start”

Madam Claire played the music again and they started waltzing. After two consecutive dances, Madam Claire finally announced their score. “Both of you danced well. Sooner or later, we’ll practice for your wedding and engagement party on August”

“WHAT?! We have an engagement party on August?!” asked Halley.

“Yes, Halley. That will serve as your overall test. So out of 100, your score is 95” she finally said.

“WHAT?! BUT WHY?!”

“You two are not expressing some deep emotions about each other” Madame Claire said.

“So we have to be passionate and stuff?” Halley asked again.

“Yes” Madam Claire replied. “You may now proceed to your quarters”

But instead of getting back to their room, they directly went into the garden and sat on a bench. There they talked about their feelings about the dance and how they deserved to get 100. But Jude finally said, “May I dance with you again, dear princess?”

“Yes you may, my prince” They got up and walked into the grass. Halley put her left hand on Jude’s shoulder while Jude placed his right hand on her hips and pulled her closer. There they danced without music only with the owl’s hoots and the soft sound of the crickets. They talked while dancing and even share again some old jokes. When the palace clock twelve, they knew they have to stop dancing.

“It’s midnight already. We have to sleep” Halley said.

“Yes but I wish to dance with you for another ten minutes” Jude replied. With that, Halley rested her hands on Jude’s neck while Jude placed his hands on her waist. Their eyes were now leveled and having contact with each other. In a short while, Halley bowed her head but Jude’s hand left her waist and softly moved her face upward. He brushed her cheek gently then kissed her. But she didn’t panic or break free from the kiss instead Halley started arguments in her brain and mental conversations like, “I love you Jude!” “No, you don’t love him. You don’t love anyone! In fact, you don’t want to be queen and marry him” “No! I want to be queen and marry him!” and so on. But she finally gave up and stood strong in her decision, her decision to love Jude.