Being a City Girl...

The City Princess

 

The first day of the month of April was very funny as one of the butlers served Madam Claire vinegar instead of coconut juice. The practice session was postponed because of this. During the first practice session Madam Claire announced that they will continue to learn how to speak properly.

“We’ve already done that last month!” Halley protested.

“But this time, we will practice public speaking” Madam Claire clarified.

“WHAT?! I have no idea about public speaking. I now predict that I will be a failure!” Halley exaggerated.

“Don’t worry! You can handle that! Besides, you’ll thank Madam Claire for the lesson when you became queen” Jude reassured her.

“Don’t ever talk to me about being queen!” Halley sneered.

“Anyway, during this lesson, both of you will have your own podium to stand on when you’re ready. But for now, I will teach you how to speak properly and how to address people.” Madam Claire began writing in the new whiteboard she ordered for her students. Then she called each of them to say in a good way whatever she writes on the board. Pronunciation and Delivering were the only things Madam Claire focused throughout the whole month. Of course, Mr. Top 1 gets more attention than Ms. City Girl because of his natural talent of addressing. But Jude never lets Halley be left out. He always helps her speak confidently and naturally. But something inside Halley was starting to stir, could it be love? No, it won’t happen, Halley thought.

The last day of the month finally came and both Jude and Halley prepared for this. They practiced speaking throughout the whole night in Halley’s bedroom, pretending the table was the podium. They practiced with hand gestures, good posture, correct pronunciation, and with words that can capture an audience’s attention. The test started when Madam Claire first called Jude and asked him to go to the podium. She then asked, “In your opinion, will Halley be a good queen?”

“First of all, I would like to greet everyone present in this conference good morning especially to my mentor, Madam Claire. In my opinion, I think Halley will be a good queen. Wait, no. It is a fact that Halley will be a good queen and leader of Genelasia. With her compassionate heart and her determination, she can lead Genelasia to its highest glory. I know that she is too young to be queen and I am too young to be king but together we can make a great team and hopefully, a great couple.” He then smiled to Halley. He continued, “Genelasia can’t be complete without a leader and some fun. And that’s why we need Halley, a simple girl who has high hopes for Genelasia and her countrymen. Thank you for listening and have a pleasant day!” Madam Claire was astounded by Jude’s answer and clapped. And at the same time, Halley, who was wondering if she was blushing the whole time, clapped too. Madam Claire finally called Halley. She went to the podium with her knees shaking in fear. Then Madam Claire asked her question, “Do you believe that you’re going to be a good queen of Genelasia even though you’re a city girl?”

Halley couldn’t start as the thought of discriminating her as a city girl filled her. She then looked at Jude who was mouthing some words. At first, she wasn’t able to decipher them but when Jude slowed down; she realized that he was saying “be calm and think straight”. She now knew what to say. “Good morning, ladies and gentlemen especially to those who made an effort to her my press conference today. I believe that I can be a good queen of Genelasia even though I am a city girl. Being a city girl does not hinder me from serving my kingdom. In fact, being a city girl gives me some advantages. My kingdom needs me and I need my kingdom. Like what my prince had said – “ she smiled back to Jude who was so focused on her speech he flinched when he saw her smiling at him “Genelasia can’t be complete without a leader and some fun. As your future queen, I guarantee that my future king and I will see to it that Genelasians will have the best time of their lives. Thank you all for listening!” She stepped down from the podium and instantly, she heard six pairs of hands clapping. She looked back and saw April and May and the butlers Robert and Gregory clapping. And of course, Madam Claire and Jude too were clapping while standing. She received a standing ovation!

By the time she was starting to recover from the unexpected reply, Madam Claire was announcing that for the month of May, they will be having dance lessons.

“WHAT?! Dancing?! I’m not good in dancing!”  Jude exclaimed.

“Finally! Something you’re not good at!” Halley said jokingly.

Madam Claire gave them the rest of the day. Both of them spent it by riding horses and of course, sleeping. By nighttime, Jude accompanied Halley to her room again. They wasted their night talking and telling some jokes. Jude finally said goodbye and went to his room earlier than last time. The following day, Madam Claire told them that for every two weeks, they will practice new dances. For this week, they will have to practice slow waltz.