March, the 1st month of training

The City Princess

 

The next morning, Halley woke up at 8’ o clock. She took a quick shower and got dressed for breakfast. She thought she woke up early but when she arrived at the table, Madam Claire and Jude are already eating their breakfast.

“Good morning, Halley!” Jude greeted.

“Good morning, Jude!” she greeted back.

“What a wonderful weather to start the first day of training of the future king and queen of Genelasia!” Madam Claire exclaimed. “Halley, please sit down and eat your breakfast. Remember, we will start at ten!”

They ate their breakfast and Madam Claire was the first to finish. She then left Jude and Halley eating together. But when Jude finished his food, he didn’t get up and leave Halley eating alone. His action made Halley curious and ask a question, “You’re done eating, right?”

“Yes. Why?”

“It’s because you’re not leaving me. I think you have to do some things like a morning ritual for princes for instance”

“Ohh…that. It’s because I don’t want to leave my princess.” Jude answer. This made Halley blush a little and of course, it made her sound stupid too as she remembered that she will be marrying Jude on her birthday. She then quickly ate her breakfast so they can do whatever they want to do before the practice session starts. “So, what do you want to do?” Jude asked Halley.

“I don’t know. Maybe a small tour of the palace?” Halley replied. Sure enough, Jude toured Halley around the palace. They entered some secret passage ways and rooms and Jude sometimes tell Halley some ghost stories of a particular room. They were amusing themselves when suddenly they heard a loud sound.

“What was that?” Halley asked.

“It must be a clock. Maybe it’s ten already” Jude replied but their expression changed when they realized that they’re late for their first practice session. They started running along the palace’s hallways until they reached the living room where Madam Claire was sitting silently “What made you so late?”

“It’s because I – “ Halley started but Jude cut her off by saying, “I toured Halley around the palace so she won’t be lost when she became queen.”

“Okay then. Next time, don’t be late or the whole kingdom will know it” Madam Claire instructed. She then started teaching Halley and Jude about proper manners in speaking, walking, eating, dressing and writing. At first Halley had some troubles in following Madam Claire’s advice in manners but with Jude’s help and his advance knowledge of royal manners, she was able to do well. They practiced manners throughout the whole month. But during the end of March, Madam Claire announced that they will have a test.

“What test?” Halley asked while still in shock.

“Don’t worry, it’s a practical test. I will just observe your manners throughout the rest of the day.” Madam Claire reassured them.

“What time will it start?” asked Jude who was very confident in this test.

“The time? It will start now!” Madam Claire told them. And at that very moment Jude and Halley started talking, walking, and writing in a noble way. During lunch and supper, they ate with manners. Since royal table manners require talking without your mouth full or without food, they ate in absolute silence.

Jude said when he finished his food, “Are you done yet, princess?” Halley nodded and both of them stood up and walked towards the door.

But Madam Claire stopped them and said “I would like to tell the results of the test today.” She cleared and continued, “Both did well but I’m afraid that…you won’t get back to your old ways! You passed!” Jude and Halley started screaming loudly and forgot the manner of speaking gently. They jumped and hugged each other and started to thank Madam Claire.

“Don’t worry. You will have a test every end of the month until you two got married. You can now sleep in peace! But don’t forget that we will have a new lesson tomorrow!” Madam Claire informed them.

They went out of the dining room and began talking about how they felt the whole month. But when they reached the hallway where they will walk in separate ways, Halley began saying good night to Jude.

“Halley wait! I’ll accompany you to your room” Jude told her. They walked and started continuing their talk again. When they reached Halley’s room, Halley invited Jude to enter her room. In her room, they shared some stories and laugh at jokes. But when the clock twelve, Halley began to thank Jude for all his help and efforts during the whole month “Thanks for accompanying me to my room every night, Jude. But can I ask you a question?”

“You’re already asking a question” Jude said. They both had hangovers about some jokes and started laughing again.  “Okay. I’ll stop laughing.” He cleared his throat and began saying, “So what do you want to ask?”

“Umm…why did you accompany me this night even if manners sessions are done?” she finally said.

“Ohh…even though manners lessons are done, it’s because as a prince, it is my duty to serve you, my princess.” He said. And after having no response from Halley, he said “Wait! Are you blushing?” he then looked to Halley’s face closer and continued, “You’re blushing! I can’t believe it! It’s a first!”

“No! I am not blushing! You should go to your room! You’re already making fun of me!” Halley said. She shoved Jude to the door but before closing it, Jude bid her goodbye and stole a kiss from her cheek. Halley was stunned and for a second, wasn’t able to move. “See! You blushed! You like me don’t you?” Jude .

“No! I didn’t! And I don’t like you! Go to your room before I call the guards!” she shouted at him.

She closed the door and heard Jude walking. She opened her door again and shouted, “Gotcha! Good night gullible!”

“Good night Halley, the blushing princess!” Jude shouted back. They started laughing again but they were stopped when one of the guards said “CURFEW” so loudly, Jude was forced to run to his room while Halley immediately closed her door shut.