Chapter 2 ~ Soccer Practice

It's Not Only Soccer I Love

The last bell had finally rung and students were free to go home but for you it meant you could finally go to soccer practice. You always went to the girls’ locker room to go change right away then headed out to the field. You and Doojoon decided to be the first ones on the field even if practice started 30 minutes after the end of school. As you stepped out, you scanned the area and saw that Doojoon stretching by the benches.

“Yo Doojoon!!” You ran up to him, “So, what’s the warm up for today, captain?”

“Three laps,” he said then began jogging.

“Yah!! Wait for me!!” You dropped your stuff and began to follow him.

As the two of you jogged, Doojoon was unusually quiet. Normally you two would talk about your day or talked about soccer but today Doojoon seemed out of it. Maybe he just had Monday blues? You were a little worried about your friend but decided to shake it off.

The two of you neared the benches where you began. You went straight to your bags that were on the ground and set them on the bench taking a seat yourself. You drank your water and looked at Doojoon who stood still facing the field. You went to his bag and grabbed his water bottle.

“Here, take a drink,” You walked up to him.

“Oh, thanks.” He said without making eye contact and took his water bottle.

“Doojoon?”

“Hmm?” He looked over while drinking his water.

“Are you alright?”

“Uh, of course.” He flashed a slight smile that left his face slowly as he turned. He walked to his bag and put his water away and carried a ball over. “Let’s start.” You smiled and nodded at this action. He seemed fine. Hopefully he really was.

The two of you just played around as more players began to fill the field up. Yoseob and Kikwang joined you two when they arrived. You guys played until the remaining minutes passed and coach came.

“Alright, everyone gather around,” Coach Nam yelled as everyone closed in. “As you guys know, we have a friendly match next week so we have all week to practice. The game will be against J. Tune High and it’s a home game here. Let’s work hard alright?”

“Ne” all the guys yelled.

“Good. Captain, take it from here.” He looked at Doojoon.

“Three laps, let’s go guys.” And Doojoon took off all the guys slowly following him.

“That was a bit harsh.” You chuckled crossing your arms.

“Aish, that Doojoon.” Coach laughed too.

 

Even though you didn’t do much at soccer practice, you really enjoyed it. All you could do was watch the guys practice, participate with them, or practice on your own. Today was one of those days that you practiced alone since you didn’t want to interrupt the guys. You just juggled the ball around trying to beat your previous record, keeping the ball from hitting the ground.

“Five, six, seven, ei-ahh!” you used too much force causing the ball to get too far away from you. You lazily waited for the ball to hit the ground but you didn’t hear a thud. You watched as the ball landed into the face of someone's foot, perfectly catching and trapping the ball.

“Seungho?” You were shocked to see him hanging around the soccer field. Was he stalking you?

“What are you doing here?” You questioned.

He moved his foot up and caught the ball, “I was.. I was just wandering around the school grounds.”

“Do you play soccer? Not just anyone could have done that.” You were still stunned by his actions.

“Oh, uhm. Not really. Here,” He tossed the ball to you. “This belongs to you. I’ll be on my way now.”

He turned around and began to walk away. “Wait!” He slightly turned his head back and you tossed the ball back to him. He quickly turned around due to reflex and hit the ball with his thigh and it went in the air then he hit it again with his foot. You watched as he caught the ball, amazed by his skills. “You do play soccer!!”

“Yeah, I guess.” He smiled and ruffled the back of his head.

“You know.. The guys wouldn't mind adding another player to their team. Our soccer team is friendly!” You grinned. “You’d be very helping on the team with your control on the ball.”

“I’ll just think about it.”

“Seungho-ssi, it’ll be fun. You’ll also get to know more people here! You are a new student, this is a good opportunity to find some friends.”

“Alright, I’ll see if I can join okay?” He just laughed at your persistence.

“Yay!” You jumped.

“Here’s your ball,” he tossed it back to you.

“Hey, are you busy right now?”

“No, I came to the field to kill some time actually. Why?”

“Play with me! It gets boring when I practice alone.”

“I don’t have any clothes to change into.” He said hesitantly.

“It’s okay, your uniform won’t get dirty.” You just smiled at him.

“Let’s just play, I’m bored of playing by myself!”

“Fine,” He just followed you as you walked to a larger area with more space.

 

Doojoon looked over and noticed that you were with Seungho. “Hyung, what are you looking at?” Yoseob looked around with his hands on his eyebrows.

“It’s nothing. Okay guys, let’s take a break. Good job guys.” He announced.

“Yes! Water!” Yoseob ran to get his water bottle and Doojoon continued to watch you and Seungho.