Chapter 5 ~ Puppy

It's Not Only Soccer I Love

You stared at the river as you walked along the sidewalk. You found your way to Han River after running from Seungho. You walked down to the grass and sat down and placed your heavy backpack next to you. You held your knees close to your chest and rested your chin over your hands. You felt bad that today you wouldn’t eat or play with Doojoon.

Every minute passed by slowly and the pain was still present. You had probably only been sitting there for at least 10 minutes. The river flowed without stopping and you listened to the water as it passed. It calmed you down and your guilt slowly dispersed but it never left.

“Are you hungry?” You looked up and saw a face that you so badly wanted to see.

“D-Doojoon?” He held out one stick with odeng and one with dukbokgi.

“Have this,” he motioned the two foods closer to you with a smile. You just stared at him wide eyed.

“Thanks.” You said quietly while taking the food.

You ate it slowly, stealing a look at Doojoon to make sure he was alright. You were surprised that he was there with you even though you didn’t walk with him.

“Is it good?” He turned and you quickly looked away.

“Ne, it’s delicious.” You looked down at your food that was barely eaten.

“That’s good. Finish it all.” He ruffled your hair and gave a sweet smile.

You finished it quickly so he wouldn’t notice anything was wrong with you and the two of you sat there in silence.

“Doojoon,”

“~~~~~~.” The two of you spoke at the same time.

“You can go first.” You told him.

“Anniyo, it’s nothing.”

“It’s okay, go ahead.”

Doojoon was quiet for a while before speaking. “So, how was your day, ~~~~~~?”

“It was alright,” you tried to smile. “How was yours?”

“It was good. I turned in all my homework.” He gave an accomplished smile.

“That’s good.” You couldn’t help but smile at his comment. He was always so happy and positive.

The silence came back soon after and you felt the guilt come back. “Doojoon?”

“Huh? What is it?”

“Are you mad at me?”

“Why would you be made at me?” He gave a confused look.

“I didn’t walk with you here, to our Tuesday spot. Then I didn’t eat with you at the food stand and now we aren’t even practicing.”  You vented everything out. “Doojoon. I don’t know why but I feel horrible, like I let you down or something, you know. I’m such a bad person.” You put your hugged your knees and turned your head from his direction. You looked at the grass and waited for a reply from him.

“~~~~~~-ah. Don’t feel bad!” He patted your back. “I’m not mad. Not even one bit.” He looked at you with a genuine smile. “~~~~~~, I’m happy that you still came here. I don’t know what you’re so worried about. Just because we didn’t get to walk with each other, doesn’t mean we still can’t meet here.”

You didn’t look at him at all. You felt like he was just trying to make you feel better as if he wasn’t angry at you.

“You know, ~~~~~~, you’re like a puppy. You’re obedient towards me. You’re such a docile creature. Ever since I started to play with you when we were younger you treated me like I was your teacher. Even today, you’re like that.” You smiled a little. “I think I’ve become your master and you’re my puppy.” He looked into the sky and laughed at his own words. You couldn’t tell if he was joking or serious.

“You’re so random, Doojoon.” You grumbled.

“You shouldn’t deny what’s obvious.” He chuckled and gave you a push with his shoulder.

You crossed your arms and pouted. “I’m not a puppy.”

“Yes you are,” he poked your side and you let out a giggle. “That’s my little puppy.” He teased.

You gave him a look and pushed his shoulder.

“Bad puppy!” He pointed his finger at you.

You just stuck your tongue out at him.

“Yah, let’s play. I don’t want to sit here all night!” He said as he as he dusted his pants off.

You quickly got up and followed him to the grass, “Arrasso, Master Doojoon.”