Chapter 4 ~ New Member

It's Not Only Soccer I Love

After school ended you went straight to changing and to the field. Of course Doojoon was there already. “~~~~~~! Hey!” Doojoon excitedly waved.

“Hey Doojoon!” You were glad to see him all happy. “Are you planning on three laps again?”

“Anniyo, let’s take it easy, two laps!”

“That’s one lap less.”

“So! Let’s get jogging ~~~~~~-ah!!” He ruffled your hair and with that he dashed away. You set your stuff down and followed Doojoon for those two laps.

The two of you just practiced together until the field began to fill up and coach finally brought the group together. “Alright kids, let’s get together here now!” The guys closed in on Coach who was standing next to Seungho. “Yes, he looks familiar right? Don’t tear him apart now. Meet your new teammate, Yang Seungho. He’s J Tune’s infamous goalkeeper. Please welcome him warmly.”

“Hello everyone,” Seungho smiled and bowed, “I’ve decided to continue playing soccer despite changing teams. I hope that with the addition of me, our team will do well.”

“Like I said earlier, please respect your fellow player and treat him nicely. He’s a soccer player like yourself. I don’t want any drama or hate. Arasso?”

“Ne, Coach-nim.”

“Alright then. Today Seungho will just be observing. Now, off with your practice.” Coach waved his hand and cued for Doojoon’s lead.

“Welcome, Yang Seungho.” Doojoon offered a handshake.

“Thank you, Captain.” Seungho gave a smile back. With that, all the boys caved in and began to ask Seungho questions about the J Tune’s team or about his own skills and whatnot. They were friendly. Cube may have been competitive on the field but behind all that, they had great sportsmanship.

“Okay guys, enough with the chit chat, let’s start practicing!” Doojoon announced and the guys perked up. “Let’s take one lap!”

You watched as the guys followed Doojoon around and field, “That guy made me run two laps with him.” You sighed under your breath.

“What was that?” You didn’t notice Seungho who stood next to you.

“Hmmm? What are you doing!? Shouldn’t you be out with them!?”

“I don’t feel like it.” He crossed his arms. “I’m only observing.”

“Hah, what a character you are, Seungho. C’mon, I’ll take a lap with you.”

He chuckled a little but soon followed after you. “So you only warm up with one lap?”

“It varies each day,” you focused on your steps and took deep breaths.

 

After you finished taking a lap you sat on the bench next to Seungho. He watched intently as the guys practiced. He was really focused on the way they practiced. “Hey, are you comparing this team to J Tune’s?” You asked.

“Yeah, we worked harder than this,” he laughed.

“Oh, really?” You looked up at him.

“No, I’m not one to say that. We practice differently but work equally as hard.”

You thought about what he said, wondering what it was like at practice with J Tune. Their team and your team had this rivalry. Most games resulted in ties, showing that both teams played extremely well with each other. Your offense was slightly stronger because of Doojoon and Kikwang, especially since they have a relationship on and off the field, adding to their teamwork, making those two read each other’s plays on the field. As for J Tune, their defense was a brick wall, Seungho was the last result that never failed. Having him on your team was definitely an advantage.

“Hey, Seungho?” you spoke out.

“Hmm?”

“Did you want to practice a little with me? I’ll show you some routines Doojoon does with the team.” You stood up with a ball on hand. “C’mon, we can’t sit idly like this. We’re at practice.”

“Sure,” he stood up.

“Cool,” you led him to the side of the field that wasn’t full of guys and explained to him what Doojoon had first tried with you when you were learning from him. “See, easy right?”

“Yeah, it’s not like I’ve never done this.” He began doing what you told and kicked the ball.

The two of you continued for a while before you got bored, “Seungho, let’s stop, this is boring.” You plopped on the ground.

“I agree,” he sat next to you.

“Oh! I know! You were the goalie, right?”

Seungho nodded.

“Let me kick some free shots, while you block! I’ll get a pair of gloves,” before he could say something you got up and went to the bench. You ran back to him and handed him the gloves. He walked towards the net and positioned himself as you walked to position yourself as well.

“Ready!?” you shouted.

“Let’s see what you got ~~~~~~!!”

You smirked and began to charge the ball. You planted your left foot on the grass and swung your right leg forward feeling the grass brush the tip of your toes through your cleats and the ball hit the laces of your foot. You watched as the ball lunged closer and closer to Seungho, he moved quickly and jumped, reaching out high to catch the ball.

“Nice try,” Seungho tossed the ball in the air and kicked it back.

“I was just testing you! You’ll see what’s under my sleeve soon!” you caught the ball and placed it on the grass.

One kick after another and there was still no goal. Seungho was truly a great goalkeeper and lived up to his name as J Tune’s impenetrable trump card. “Yah! Go easy! I’m a girl!!” You yelled at him wiping the sweat off your brow.

“That doesn’t matter! Just keep trying,” he yelled back with his hands on his knees.

You closed your eyes and let out a deep sigh and slowly inhaled. You opened your eyes and charged for the ball, feeling your foot carry it into the air. Your eyes followed the ball as it spun to Seungho. He jumped for it and felt it brush the tips of his fingers but before it could pass through, the ball hit the top of the goal post and ricocheted back.

“Wahh!!?? Not fair!!” You sat on the grass and crossed your arms.

“That was close, ~~~~~~!!” You heard Seungho scream, “Hey! Are you done!!??”

“For now, let’s get some water!!”

 

You and Seungho sat on the bench gulping down water. Doojoon was stealing glances of the two of you. Actually he did since the beginning of practice. He saw how the two of you interacted and practiced together. Because of that he seemed to lose some focus. He didn’t know why, but seeing the two of you together caused something to feel uncomfortable.

Eventually the long practice came to an end and the players began to disperse their separate ways. “So Doojoon, how was practice today?” you handed him his water bottle as you sat next to him.

“They did good today. We worked hard,” he held his bottle to his lips.

“That’s good to hear,” you sighed in relief. “Cube soccer players are the best,” you smiled. Doojoon smiled at your words. “Oh, I’ll be back, I want to change out of my shoes!”

You got up from the ground and walked to your bag. “~~~~~~, are you leaving yet?” Seungho sat down next to you on the bench.

“Anniyo, not yet.” You took your cleats off and searched for your slip on sandals, “Wae?”

“Oh, well, walking back home gets lonely sometimes,” Seungho shyly replied. “I can wait with you if that’s okay.”

“You don’t have to. It’s just, I usually walk wi-“

“~~~~~~, I’ll leave then. I have to go now anyways. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Doojoon cut you off and left with a weak smile, gathering his equipment. “See you too, Seungho.” He waved.

“See you tomorrow, Doojoon-ssi!” Seungho waved back.

You watched as Doojoon walked further away and you felt guilt in your heart. After practice you would usually walk with Doojoon until you went on your separate paths. He rarely left without you.

“~~~~~~, what were you going to say earlier?” Seungho interrupted your thoughts.

“Hmm? Oh, it’s nothing. We can get going now,” you stood up.

As the two of you walked, you were quiet. It was sort of weird to be with Seungho. You and Doojoon had a tradition of going out to eat after practice once in a while. Each day of the week had a specific kind of food or activity, you and Doojoon were that close of friends. Tuesdays would be going to Han River and practicing by the riverside. Often there would be some food stands there so you two ate dinner there. The guilt consumed you as you thought of your tradition being broken.

“~~~~~~, is something wrong?” Seungho nudged your arm.

“I’m fine. I’m exhausted from practice.” You lied.

“I didn’t push you too much, did I?” Seungho laughed but saw how you didn’t laugh with him too. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Huh? Ne, of course. Hey, my apartment is over this way, I’ll be going then.” You bowed and began to walk away.

“Oh, ~~~~~~! That’s weird. She changed her mood so quickly..” Seungho mumbled as he scratched his head.

You couldn’t bear to be with Seungho anymore so you left him and began walking wherever you could. You didn’t know why the guilt ate away at your heart, but you definitely hated that feeling.