"What Should I Do?"

Mistaken Faith [Sequel to Mistaken Happiness]

‘Ring, Ring.’ So Eun lifted her phone to her right ear, and said:
“Hello?”
“So Eun? I called to tell you we’ll be meeting at the café–“Kim Bum was interrupted by So Eun’s nervous voice.
“Oh right!” She exclaimed, acting as if she had forgotten something important. “I’ll come right away.” She hung up on Kim Bum, apologized to Joon for leaving, and flew down the flight of stairs that had lead them up here to the rooftop. Joon, left alone at the bench, laughed at himself for his foolishness. What are you thinking? She’ll never like you! He thought to himself, though he knew that his heart would never be willing to give up the feelings he had for So Eun.
When So Eun arrived at the bottom of the stairs, she let out a deep breath of relief, and dialed Kim Bum’s familiar number.
“I’m sorry.” She apologized as soon as he picked up. “I really didn’t mean to…” she exclaimed.
“It’s alright, I just wanted to tell you we’re meeting at the cafe near the east side of the school at four O’clock, and eat there. We can leave together after we’re done. But what was that all about?” Kim Bum asked. He was studying his notes again, and had stopped when So Eun called.
“You were right… he does like me more than just a normal friend…” She said. This surprised Kim Bum, but then… in another point of view, it didn’t. He knew this was coming. He could tell that Joon had liked So Eun more than a friend, and had feelings for her, it was just the fact that So Eun never seemed to notice it. “If you didn’t call, I wouldn’t know how to get out of a situation like that.” She said gratefully. Kim Bum laughed. He thought; you could’ve always rejected him. But he decided not to tell her, because he knew his stupid girlfriend never wanted to hurt anyone’s feelings. After saying good-bye, they hung up. What would happen if I lost her? He asked himself over and over again. He pushed away the though, and returned to studying his notes.
What should I do the next time he says the same thing? She though as she walked down the long hallway to her classroom. What should I say? She sighed.
“Why do things have to be so complicated?” She whispered to herself. “Wouldn’t it be better if we just stay as friends? Why did he have to confess? Now what should I do the next time I see him?” She walked back into the classroom since she had left her books there, thinking she would come back and get them after she was finished talking with Joon. The classroom was almost empty. In the back desk in the far right corner, was a girl. Her hair was silky black, and her skin almost as pale as white paper, only her cheeks brought a bit of life to her. It was a little light pink, not much, but stood out with her pale skin. She was beautiful. She looked almost like a goddess to So Eun. She walked up beside her desk, curiously. “I’ve never seen you here before, are you new here?”
“Yes.” She replied. Her English sounded fluent, like it took no effort at all. As for So Eun, it took her months just to understand conversational English. The girl smiled, and asked: “Are you new here also?”
“Well…” So Eun replied, “Not really, I’ve been here for a few months… My English really isn’t all that good. Your English is so good! How’d you say it so fluently?” So Eun asked in admiration.
“I used to live here. I moved back to Taiwan a few years ago, and decided to move back to Los Angeles a few weeks ago.” She said joyfully.
“Oh…” So Eun said.
“What’s your name?” She asked.
“Kim So Eun…What’s your name?” So Eun asked.
“My name’s Michelle.” She said with a smile. So Eun took her on a tour around the school, and they chatted about the difference in their lives. Michelle, having always been rich, has never even done laundry in her life yet. Nor has even cooked for herself, while So Eun would have to cook for herself, and do her own laundry. They acknowledged each other’s differences, so they soon became good friends.
“How foolish of me… now the next time we see each other it’s going to be so awkward!” He shouted at himself. At this time, he a gentle knock on the door. “Come in.” It was his mother. She slowly walked to him, and took a seat beside him on the bed.
“What’s wrong?” She asked.
“Nothing…” He lied. He looked at the floor for a moment, and then looked back at his mother. “Why did you fall in love with father?” He asked. He knew this was a very personal question for his mother, but he wanted to know.
“Well…” His mother started, “I didn’t really fall in love with him the first time I had seen him, and he was just not the ideal guy I thought I would love. But fate brought us together, and I was engaged to him…And after I just ended up falling for him… little by little.” Joon thought about it for a moment, and then laughed at himself. It’s not like I’m ever going to be engaged with So Eun… He looked back at the floor, and remembered how they had met.
*Flashback*
"I'm so sorry!" So Eun apologized in English as she bumped into a Joon. She was almost late for class and was rushing to class, hoping that she would make it in time. It was her first day at the Fine Arts Academy, and had slept in.
"It's alright." The boy said as he examined her. "Are you the new student?" He asked in English. So Eun, confused, and not understanding what he was saying, decided to ignore him. She pushed up aside, and continued walking, trying to find her classroom. Joon laughed when she pushed him aside, and followed her in curiosity. No girl had ever dared to push him, because he was the richest boy in the states, and Korea. Aware of the boy following her So Eun stopped, and turned around.
"Why are you following me?" She asked in Korean, not knowing how to say it in English. Joon laughed and replied to her question in Korean, making sure she actually understood him.
"I'm curious… Are you the new student?" Joon asked.
"Yes, I am. So what about it? I'm late, I can't talk." She replied, as she started to walk again.
"Are you in class A of the music department?" He asked, pointing to the little violin she was carrying. So Eun stopped her footsteps, and turned to face him. "I'm taking that as a yes? I'll take you there; it might just take forever for someone with the brains of yours to find the classroom." He joked as he took her by the wrist, and started pulling her with him. So Eun, too lazy to find her classroom, decided to just follow the boy.
"What's your name?" She asked when they got near the classroom.
"Kim Joon." He replied.
*End of Flashback*
“What should I do?” He asked himself as he stared at the hardwood floor. “It’s so nice to be home…” So Eun said as she jumped on the couch. They had just returned home from the café, and Kim Bum was getting ready to get his books to study again. “Why are you always studying? Are you that scared of failing?” She asked as she followed behind him to the dinner table. Kim Bum didn’t answer. So Eun, unhappy that Kim Bum had not answered, returned to her room. “What should I do the next time this topic comes up?” She asked herself. She was worrying about Joon again; she didn’t want to hurt his feelings. She thought for a long moment, and then finally came up with an idea. “I’ll just tell him I have a fiancé!” She shouted. Kim Bum heard and walked into her bedroom.
“Are you sure that’s going to work?” He asked in disbelief.
“I’m sure!” She said confidently.