Impossible.

Mistaken Faith [Sequel to Mistaken Happiness]

"I think it's about time to go back." Kim Bum said. His voice was low, and quiet. They were in the little hospital room, sitting in the chairs on the far side of the room. So Eun looked at her mother for a long moment, and then turned back to Kim Bum.
"Do we have to?" She asked her eyes full of worry. "I want to wait till mother gains consciousness."
"We have exams next week, if we don't leave, we might not have enough time to study." So Eun thought for a moment, and then nodded her head.
"I'll call you as soon as she wakes up, alright?" Hye Sun said at the doorway of the little room. She walked towards So Eun, and hugged her tightly. "I promise." She said. So Eun agreed, and hugged Hye Sun back tightly.

"Kim So Eun." The teacher called, taking attendance. So Eun had not showed up for the past few days, though Joon wasn't worried, but instead, uncomfortable. He knew that she was in Seoul, safe and sound, but he was uncomfortable about that fact that she had lived with Kim Bum, and had told him nothing about it. He looked down at the notes he had taken the past few days for So Eun, and slowly started translating them into Korean on a different sheet of paper. He knew maybe she didn't need his translations anymore, she understood enough of the English the teacher was speaking, but he felt like he had the responsibility of translating it, so he did, like the past few months.
"No So Eun?" The teacher asked. Everyone on the classroom remained silent; the teacher sighed, and marked her absent.

"Joon?" So Eun asked when he finally answered his phone. She had just got off the plane, and decided to call Joon to explain everything to him.
"So Eun?" He asked, "I've got a question for you."
"What is it?"
"Come to school, I want to talk to you in person." She agreed, and stuffed her phone back into her white purse. Kim Bum was coming back from the washroom, and had spotted her putting her phone back in her bag.
"You called someone?" He asked curiously. She nodded.
"I called Joon, I've promised that I would tell him everything once I come back, and I’m going to meet him at school. Can you return to the apartment first?" Kim Bum nodded.
"Alright, but call me when you get to school, okay?" She nodded, and left.

It wasn't long before So Eun arrived at the school, and found Joon sitting on a park bench in the courtyard. She took a seat beside him, and looked in the direction he was looking in. He was looking straight forward, into mid-air. She dialed Kim Bum's number, and told him she had arrived, and then looked back at Joon's direction.
"What are you looking at?" She asked curiously.
"So Eun... I've got something to tell you." He said without turning his head.
"Hm?" she asked.
"Never mind, you can go first. Don't you have some explaining to do?"
"Oh right!" So Eun said, just remembering. "Well... I received a phone call a few days ago... my sister said that my mother fainted, and so... Kim Bum and I decided to go back to Seoul to see how she was doing."
"Kim Bum?" Joon asked in disbelief. He couldn't believe it, it was like wherever they go, and they’re always together. This bothered him. So Eun nodded, and continued her story.
"My mother...the doctor said that she has a brain tumor... I only came back because of the exams coming up." She said as her eyes started getting teary.
"It's alright..." Joon comforted, as he pulled her closer to his side, and let her head rest on his shoulder. You always have me... he said quietly in his head.
"What did you want to tell me?" She asked shortly after she stopped her tears, and lifted her head up from his shoulder.
"I just wanted to ask you something..."
"What is it?" She asked softly.
"I went to your apartment while you were gone... And the security officer said that you live with Kim Bum... is that true?" He asked, hoping the answered would be "no" and how the security officer was only making things up. She lived by herself.
"Yeah, I do live with him..." She said, "Sorry for not telling you earlier… Must’ve surprised you..."
"Yeah... it did surprise me... a lot." He said, heartbroken. So it was the truth, they were living together. Even that little hope that he had before that it was all a misunderstanding, had all vanished. "I have something to do, I'll see you later." He said as he waved good-bye, and left. She sat on the park bench alone and confused. Did I say something wrong? She asked herself. He looks so sad...

"Jason, should I ask him?" Kim Bum asked as he took a seat at the kitchen table of So Eun and his apartment. Jason was a boy he had met when he first moved to Los Angeles a few months ago. He had invited him over, and they had settled down at the kitchen table to start studying for the upcoming exam.
"Well, if it really bothers you that much... I think you should." Jason replied as he took a sip of water from the glass cup Kim Bum had handed him a few minutes ago.
"But... if he doesn't have feelings for her, wouldn't it be kind of weird?"
"Probably would be... but if it bothers you that much, isn't it better if you ask him... if he says no, then your heart won't have to worry, and if he says yes... then..." Jason didn't know what to say anymore. What would happen if this boy Kim Bum was asking really does like his girlfriend? Then what would Kim Bum do then?
"I don't know what to do... I haven't been this uncertain in my life..." He said.
"Is she that important to you? You're never uncertain about something..." Kim Bum looked down at the table. Yes, she is that important... even if I was to give up my life for her, I would without any regrets...

Joon was in his room again, his eyes fixed on the picture of So Eun. "Yeah I do live with him." replayed in his mind, over and over again. He tried to press the stop button, but it never seemed to work.
"Why does it bother me so much?" he asked himself quietly, "Why?"
'Ring, Ring.' He reached into his pocket, and lifted his phone up to his ear.
"Hello?"
"Joon? It me, Mother..."
"Mother?"
"Joon, I couldn't wait for tonight to tell you the good news, so I decided to give you a call." Joon's mother said joyfully.
"What good news?"
"We're going back to Seoul for vacation next week!" She squealed. "Aren't you excited?” Joon revealed a little smile, and laughed at his mother's excitement, and replied:
"I'm super excited." He said with a laugh. After saying good-bye he hung up.
"Seoul..." He mumbled… as he put his phone back into his pocket. "I Haven't been there in a long time."

"I'm back." So Eun said as she walked in her little apartment. Kim Bum was still sitting at the table, studying his notes. She took the seat beside him, noticing he didn't look really happy, she asked him:
"Are you alright? What's wrong?"
"I think..." He didn't know how to put it... And then he thought whatever! I'll just say it! "Joon has feelings for you." So Eun froze. The thought had never occurred to her. "I mean... he's always by your side, worrying about you... just like me...But that might just be my sensitivity." Kim Bum Commented.
"Joon having feelings for me? Isn't that..." What was she supposed to say? Impossible? She looked down at the table, and after a moment, turned her eyes back to Kim Bum. "It's impossible." She decided, "He would never like me. I know it!" She said. "Don't feel uncomfortable about it... okay?" She stood up, and left for her room. "Impossible..." She mumbled to herself that night, "He doesn't have feelings for me..."

"So Eun, can you go with me to someplace..." Joon asked as they got ready for class dismissal at the end of the day.
"Sure..." So Eun said hesitantly, remembering the words Kim Bum had said. "Joon has feelings for you..." They kept on replaying in her head. "Impossible..." She mumbled to herself quietly. Joon heard, and asked:
"What's impossible?"
"N-Nothing..." So Eun lied. Joon brought her to the rooftop of the school, and sat down at one of the benches. Students would usually come up to the rooftop for fresh air, so the school decided to put benches on the rooftop, so they wouldn't have to sit on the floor.
"I've got something to tell you." He said, his voice was low, and steady.
"Hm?" She asked curiously.
"I love you." Joon said. So Eun froze. Oh No! Kim Bum was right! What am I going to do now? So Eun asked herself. She looked away from Joon, and not knowing how to respond, she decided not to turn back.