Chapter 11

No More Cologne

 

After our date, Kwangmin’s schedule grew very busy. He told me that Boyfriend was going to do promotions in Japan for a while, meaning I wouldn’t be able to see him for a while. A part of me was upset about not being able to see Kwangmin and the rest of Boyfriend for a while but another part of me was really happy they were getting recognition elsewhere. I dropped off some snacks at their dorm before they headed off to the airport and wished them all the best of luck in Japan.

Watching them drive away, I began to realize that outside of school I only hung out with Boyfriend or Teen Top. I really had no other friends outside of class. With Boyfriend gone and Teen Top having schedule, what was I going to do?

I placed my headphones in and buried my hands deep in my pockets as I began to walk back home. As VIXX’s Superhero filled my eyes, I started to debate texting Chunji to see if he was busy. I don’t know why he came to mind before any of the other Teen Top members, but I didn’t really question myself about that as I pulled out my phone and clicked “create a new message”.

Chunji-ssi, are you busy? – Sora

Once I hit “send” was when everything sunk in. I was trying to hang out with Chunji! CHUNJI WHO LIKED ME AND WANTED ME TO BREAK UP WITH KWANGMIN SO I COULD BE WITH HIM! What in the world was I thinking?

I was brought back when my phone went off. He was calling me. I thought about ignoring it but I found myself already holding the phone to my ear.

“Yeobosayo?”

“Sora, what’s up with that text?” Chunji teased. “I’m not busy at all right now. What are you up to? Maybe we can meet up somewhere.”

“Uhhh actually I was starting to think…”

“C’mon Sora, we both know you really want to meet up.” Chunji interjected. “Listen, how about we go to noraebang?”

“But I don’t sing.”

“I’m not taking no for an answer. Meet me at the one by the dorms. I’ll wait for you.” I heard a beep notifying me that Chunji had hung up.

I stared at my phone for a few seconds, trying to understand what was going on. Kwangmin was on his way to Japan for a while and within minutes of his departure I was going to noraebang with Chunji. I glanced down at my outfit. I had a summery, peach lace dress on and a jean jacket to fight off the morning brisk.  I wanted to be cute for Kwangmin however this outfit would not be good for going out with Chunji.

“Should I go home and change?” I thought out loud, starting to make my way to the noraebang. “Well I guess as long as I keep my distance from him, I should be okay. We’ll be singing anyways so why should I worry.” I thought for a little while longer. “And what if he brings the rest of Teen Top, then I really have nothing to worry about.” I continued to attempt to fool myself as I got closer to where the noraebang was located.

As promised, Chunji was waiting for me outside of the building. He was wearing a bright red cap that matched his bright red shirt under his black hoodie. He was also wearing sunglass and a face mask, probably to conceal his idol identity. He removed the face mask when he saw me approaching.

“Wow, if I knew you were going to dress up I would have worn something different.” He chuckled.

I scoffed. “I was seeing Kwangmin and the others off before I texted you. They’re going to Japan for a while.”

“Oh really?” I could see Chunji’s eyebrows rise from under his sunglasses.

“Are we going inside or not?” I asked harshly.

Chunji quickly moved for the door and held it open for me.  Chunji got us a room and some refreshments while I waited. I hadn’t been to one of these in years. I hadn’t even come to one with Kwangmin and here I was with Chunji.

He grabbed my hand, snapping me away from my thoughts and he led me into the room. I sat down on the couch and spread the skirt of my dress out so it would cover my knees.

“Do you want to go first or should I?” Chunji ask, flipping through the songs book.

“Go first. Be my guest.” I rolled my eyes.  I was really beginning to question why I was even here.

“I’ll sing this song.”

I paid no attention to Chunji as he selected a song. I occupied myself with my phone and grabbed myself a glass of whatever kind of soda Chunji got for us. I was honestly waiting to hear a Teen Top start playing, but I was proven wrong when I started to hear Infinite’s “Man in Love” start playing. I loved that song but there was no way for Chunji to know that, nor was I going to acknowledge that he had chosen a song I liked.

“Namjaga saranghal ttaeen kkok hangsang gyeote meomulmyeonseo neul haejugo sipeunge cham manha.” Chunji sang and I tried my best to stay disinterested. He was doing really well. I just prayed for the song to finish quickly. “Namjaga saranghal ttaeen namjaga saranghal ttaeen. Naega sarangeul hal ttaeen naega neoege ppajil ttaen.” Chunji walked over to me and held out the microphone. “Sora, you’re turn.”

“Go again. I’m not feeling it just yet.” I told him.

Chunji shook his head and pulled me up from my seat. “Nope. No excuses. You’re turn.” He forced the microphone in my hand and pushed me towards the songs book.

I raised my fist at Chunji before I kneeled down to browse through the song choices. I didn’t feel like singing. Compared to Chunji’s singing I would probably sound like a dying whale. I was able to find CNBLUE’s “Intuition” and decided to settle for that.

“Ohhh.” Chunji nodded approvingly as the song started.

I ignored him and turned my back on him as I started to sing along. “naega nal ddeonal georan jikgami wa. jakkuman ireon jeoreon pinggyaedeulman.” I closed my eyes and let myself really get into singing the song. I imagined myself on stage with CNBLUE, standing next to Youngwha, belting out the chorus to the cheering crowd.

The song finished and I opened my eyes, coming back to reality. Chunji stood up and clapped.

“Wow. That was really good! Have you ever considered trying out for an entertainment company?” He asked me, reaching for the microphone.

“No. That’s not my passion.” I told him, heading back to my seat.

“What is your passion?” He sounded sincerely interested.

I sighed. “I want to go into promotions and advertising.” I debated if I wanted to just leave it at that, but I felt word vomit coming on. “I do kind of want to go into the entertainment industry; just I want to be behind the scenes not on stage. So maybe one day I’ll be able to help idol groups appeal to fans overseas and be able to help them promote overseas as well.” I looked at Chunji once I had finished talking and saw he had his arms crossed and was smirking at me. “Don’t make fun of me.” I pointed a finger sternly at him.

Chunji held up his hands. “I’m not making fun of you in any way. I’m just surprised that’s your dream. I saw you as more of a teacher type.”

I rolled my eyes and began to stuff my face with the snacks on the table. Chunji took a little longer to find a song to sing and the one he ended up choosing I had no idea what it was. He sang it very passionately, as if the song meant a lot to him. When he finished the song, it took him a while to return to his normal self.

“That song must mean something to you. You sang it very well.” I told him.

“It was flat.” He groaned taking a seat next to me. “My mom used to play that song all the time. It reminds me of home and reminds me of why I wanted to become a singer.” I didn’t say anything, wondering if Chunji was going to continue speaking. We were both getting a little more personal with each other. I don’t even think Chunji was expecting this because he then looked up at me and smirked. “How about we take a break?” He placed his hand on my knee.

“How about I sing a song and you take a break.” I sneered at him, pushing his hand away.

“C’mon, you really didn’t want to sing in the first place.” He leaned closer, keeping me in place so there was no way I could get away from him.

“Chunji, how many times do I have to tell you no?” I sighed.

“How long is it going to take you to realize I’m not going to take no for an answer.” He closed the gap between us and kissed me hard and passionately on the lips.

I was taken aback not by the fact that Chunji kissed me, but this kiss was different from the other times he had kissed me and from when I have kissed Kwangmin. Even though Chunji was acting bold by kissing me, I could feel he was still hesitant and fearful. I felt a pain in my heart. I placed my hands on the sides of Chunji’s face and allowed my lips to move with his. Chunji was afraid to open up to me and this was his way of showing me he wasn’t always the arrogant I’ve been dealing with.

Pulling away from the kiss, I could feel my heart racing. It was the same kind of feeling I had when Kwangmin and I first started dating and I knew things were going to start getting much more difficult from here.