Kwon Jiyong

Second Time Around

I enter the studio holding a large brown bag full of Chinese food, as GD is still sitting in the studio chair just like I left him a few hours ago. A mixed beat is playing repetitively and he's bobbing his head. He barely notices me in the room and that's just the way I like it. I've been his assistant for about two or three weeks; I can't keep track of the time because depending on who I'm with it speeds up or slows down. Working for the leader of BIGBANG is totally different from just hanging out with him; he's so serious...like our relationship is complex. He doesn't constantly laugh and joke around like Seungri, and he doesn't treat me like a sister either unlike Taeyang and Teddy. He gives me no special treatment; his requests are always direct and polite. He gives me no wiggle room and it keeps me on edge so I'm determined to keep doing well so I don't get in trouble. It only took me about an hour or two to become adjusted to his work style; because he nipped it in the bud fairly quickly. I made the mistake of joking about one of the beats he was working on, and the glare he gave me made me instantly realize that this was going to be different. Even with things being a little tense at times, I think I like working for him better than anywhere else. He treats me like my job actually matters, instead of an excuse to get closer to the band...even though the jobs he gives me aren't exciting, it makes me feel useful. Another upside? GD doesn't hover; which makes thinking about T.O.P a whole lot easier...not that it stops my mind from thinking about him. How can I stop? He's still just as wonderful and frustrating as ever, and no matter how many times I tell myself that I need to get over him I just can't. 

"Devon?"

"Yes?" I say coming back from a nice memory. 

"Are you almost done with the food?"

"Almost, just give me another minute." I answer rushing a little to spread out a blanket on the floor. 

I set the food on the blanket and begin spreading out the dishes. He gets up from his seat and joins me on the floor watching me as I'm setting up. I'm pushing the dishes in front of him before taking out some napkins and handing them to him. 

"Thank you" he says politely. 

"You're welcome" I nod waiting for his next order. 

He stares at me a little before smiling. "Relax a little. I don't need anything at the moment" he says beginning to fix his plate. 

I sit there unsure of what to do. 

"I'm serious" he laughs a little. "Relax, you're making me nervous."

I smile changing my posture. “Better?”

“Almost” he says handing me the plate of food. “You’ve barely eaten all day.”

“I really don’t have an appetite” I sigh taking the plate.

“You need to eat more” He says starting to fix another plate.

I shake my head putting the food down and passing him a pair of chopsticks. “I just don’t feel like eating much.”

“Why?” He asks beginning to eat.

I shrug my shoulders. “Do you ever just feel like not eating, because you have a lot to think about?”

He sits there thinking a bit before he smiles. “No.”

I end up laughing. “Figures.”

“Everything in life except music should be simple” he says easy.

“Come on, you can’t think that life is really like that.”

“But it is; people make situations complicated” he says with his mouth full. “Take you and hyung for instance!”

My eyes widen a little. The whole point of me liking to work for GD is the fact that he doesn’t bring stuff like this up. He’s not supposed to ask me about my feelings or trying to get me to have any heart to hearts. This relationship is strictly professional, just the way I like it

“You both are walking around here pretending everything is fine when you both couldn’t be more miserable.”

“We are not” I try and say but the look GD is giving me makes me stop talking.

“That’s what he says” He says eating more.

“What made you bring him up?” I say truing to change the subject.

He shrugs continuing to chew. “Are you excited for L.A.?”

“Sort of?” I answer. “In some weird way I’ve been missing my shifts at the pool”

He frowns at me. “What are you talking about?”

“I’m working at the pool while you guys are in-” I say but GD is shaking his head canceling out the idea. “What do you mean no?”

“No pool…I forgot to tell you” he says getting some rice and beans. “You’re coming with us.”

I feel my forehead crease. “Why?”

“You work for us…and us are going to Los Angeles.”

            He can’t be serious! So I tell him…

“You don’t need me in LA!”

“Even to help me out?” GD says starting to pout with a mouthful of food. I’m looking at him suspiciously and he swallows hard before talking. “You still want to be a producer right?”

I squint silently answering his question.

“I need your help on a mix-“

“Last time I commented on a song you-“

“What?”

“Glared…at me” I say intensely to emphasize how it felt.

He surprises me by starting to laugh. “Did I really glare?”

I look at him like he’s lost it. “Yes!”

“I didn’t mean too.”

“But you did! And now you want me to help you with a mix?”

I twist my mouth looking at him. Who was he trying to fool? He didn’t need my help for anything! He was one of the most successful music producers and composers in Korean Pop Music. This was just another part of this ridiculous job T.O.P set up for me. This wasn’t a real job and everybody knew it; so why am I the only one remembering the fact.

“I know how qualified you are” he says getting up from the floor. “Listen.”

He sits back in the chair and changes the track on the computer to another song. It’s the one I heard him working on before, but it was different…he included my changes. The song had more of a electro-dance feel, so he took my suggestion of adding a double bass and an effect on the upper vocals making the background sound more airy. It still had his basic theme to it along with Teddy’s suggestions; but it also had my input.

“What do you think?” He asks waiting for my reaction.

Now I’m the one who’s glaring at him. “That’s so unfair.”

“Huh?”

“You know that I consider working with you to be one of the most amazing experiences ever! Now you want to bribe me with the chance to make music with you! And you include my opinions on one of your tracks!”

            He smiles as I continue to rant.

“This isn’t fair GD and you know it!” I exclaim not caring about the employer-employee boundary. “You and I both know that this job was created as a joke, just to keep me in a watchful distance.”

“Have I ever treated you like you’re a joke?” He asks flat out.

“No but-”

“Is the work I give you not taken seriously?”

“That’s not the point!” I whine. “I wouldn’t even be here if I wasn’t a fan and my desperate need for the money.”

His expression changes and he becomes excited. “That’s right! I’ve been meaning to ask you; why do you need so much?”

            I breathe out heavily taken totally off guard from the conversation change. I shift a little debating on whether or not to answer. He nudges my foot a bit, and I roll my eyes giving in.

“I have dreams; and they need money.”

“What for?”

“It doesn’t matter” I grumble. “I’m not going.”

“Then you quit; return the money and leave.”

“Excuse me?”

He rolls his eyes picking his plate back up. “Hyung’s rules…Its either you go with us, or you quit.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me” I growl at him.

“Nope” he says popping the “p” on the word.

I grumble something to myself feeling G-Dragon’s eyes watching me.

“When will this fight be over?”

I look at him long and hard unable to answer.

“What I mean is,” he begins. “Hasn’t this gone on long enough?”

            The look I’m giving him is clearly telling him to stop asking questions and after a few more seconds of his stare he drops the subject handing me a new itinerary. 

~~~

"Ma! We're only staying for a couple of days." I'm in my room packing for the LA trip. "I think I've packed enough underwear-"

"Who are these for?" My mom asks holding up a pair of the risque lingerie that T.O.P bought me along with my new wardrobe. "What are you doing with something like this?" She laughs before she really starts teasing me. 

"Ma!" I whine embarrassed. "It's no big deal-"

"Devon! This is a thong!" My mom laughs snapping it like a slingshot. "What do you need a thong for?"

"Nothing" I say stuffing it back in the bag it came out of. "I wanted to try- you know I'm not having this conversation!" I say breaking into a laugh. 

"And what about this little number?" She's holding up the black lace brazier with the matching ruffle trim skirt. "Who get's to see this?"

"No one" I say taking it from her and putting it in a pile of clothes.

"Mhm-hm" she says with an attitude like she knows everything. "You just make sure your using protection."

I roll my eyes continuing to pack. I begin looking through the bag with the clothes from T.O.P. I know I'm definitely taking the bright marigold dress; I'll most likely wear that to one of the concerts. I pack the black pencil skirt as well, and find a gold top in my closet that I can put with it. I decide on wearing the same black strappy heels with both outfits and black pendant necklace. After packing away my hair products and make-up along with everything else I'll need; I look up the flight itnerary. That's when I get a call. 

"Hello?"

"Devon?" Taeyang says over the phone. "Are you almost ready?"

"No, do I have to be? I thought I didn't have to be there for a few more hours."

"You don't" Taeyang says quickly because he knows I'm starting to worry. "I was just going to ask you to do a favor for me before we go."

"Oh" I say. "Well I'm almost done, I probably could do it for you."

"I just need you to go into Korea Town in NY to pick up someone." 

"Sure?" I say hesitant. 

"It's Paula, from the BBQ place. She's coming too."

"Oh okay" I say putting more stuff into my suitcase. "So from there will we go to JFK?"

"No, you'll come back here. We're flying out of Newark." Taeyang tells me before he answers someone else on his end. "She should be ready when you get there; so I'll send a car over for you in like fifteen minutes...is that enough time?"

"Yeah, I'll be ready."

"Great, see ya in a bit."

He hangs up the phone leaving me to throw random things into the one suitcase that I'm taking. The car is out in front of my house in no time and I'm lugging my bag down the steps. I hug my mom goodbye and follow the driver out to the front seat of the car. Soon we are driving throughout the different streets that lead to the highway. I'm quiet the entire time thinking about what this trip entails. There's barely any traffic on the road and we're in the city in what feels like minutes but I know is at least a half-hour drive. We're stopping in front of the same BBQ shop I came to before and the same pretty girl is standing out front outside the shop. She sees the logo on the car and me in the front seat and begins adjusting her things. When the car stops the driver hops out and helps her get in. 

"Hey" she says brightly to me getting in the backseat of the car. 

"Hey" I smile back. "How are you?"

"Rushed" she laughs. "Teddy legit told me about this trip today."

"Really?"

"Yeah!" She says buckling herself in. "I hope I brought everything."

~~~~

i'm sorry but i lied lol this one is short, but hopefully i can update again really soon