Difficult//Field Trip

Second Time Around

 

            Whoever said love was easy, lied through their teeth. I find it to be one of the most difficult things I’ve ever had to deal with. Especially when the girl I love is less that ten feet away from me every single day. It’s been three weeks since I kissed Devon in my bedroom; and even though things aren’t awkward between us, they are different.  She still talks to me, but only when it’s related to work; she doesn’t initiate anything else. Her answers are always helpful and polite, which I find aggravating. I miss it when we argue, but I know why she doesn’t; the more she obeys the less contact we have to have and that part kills me more than anything. We unintentionally play this little game I’ve nicknamed “Eye-Tag”. Sometimes we’ll find each other looking at the other before picking another random spot to look at. I know she wants to talk to me, but even though I’d rather gnaw my arm off slowly, I’m trying to give her space. She can’t imagine how much I want us just to be able to relax around each other; to be as carefree as that afternoon we spent in that YG practice room. I think about that day a lot; it’s turned into a happy place for me when I need some place to not think about her. Its weird…I think about her to keep from thinking about her. It’s more that feeling than anything; how effortless it felt between us…I think that’s what hurt me the most. The fact that she could let her guard down  for me back then but she can’t do it now.

             Every day I silently wish that we can just get over this and be together. She wants to be with me, I knew this even without the confirmation of her letters. So why can’t she just…let me be with her. Like why is she playing so hard to get? I already know she thinks I’m one of the best people on the planet! If that’s not a confession of love I don’t know what is.

“You can’t beat me! So stop trying!” I hear Devon shout from the living room.

“I am winning! You should stop trying!” Seungri challenges right back.

“Get out of here!” She laughs.

            Her laugh. It’s not fair! Maybe I’m being selfish, but if I’m not the one who put it there I don’t want to hear it! Especially if Seungri is responsible for it being there. I could just be paranoid, but I seriously think he’s rubbing his newly discovered friendship with Devon in my face. Ever since our kiss, those two have become semi-inseparable. Okay, okay that’s in large part my fault because I lent her to the nearest member and he volunteered with Taeyang but the point is, no one seems to be trying to help me win her back.  Taeyang and Teddy have made it extremely clear that I messed up and they take every chance they can to remind me of it. They clearly don’t want us together. Daesung is just…Daesung. He tries to turn everything into a positive and he just keeps saying that if we’re meant to be it will happen, “So stop trying to force it”. Jiyong tries to help, but his advice is always “Show her that you really care”.  But Seungri? There isn’t a day that goes by when I don’t hear something that they do together. Worse thing about it is Devon is completely oblivious to Seungri’s advances. According to her, their friendship is completely innocent…but for him? I know he’s trying to squeeze me out of her life. He’s wasting his time it’s not going to happen.

 

 

Devon’s POV

 

 

            Seungri are entering the restaurant in the hotel. The wait-staff leads us to a rectangular table in a corner of the restaurant that’s over looking the pool. The sidewalk lanterns are placed around the perimeter for those wanting to take a night swim. Its light reflects off the water making it shimmery and inviting. I’m looking at the entrance of the restaurant expecting to see everyone else. Seungri and I have been out for most of the day; I’ve had an extremely busy day helping him with his errands and being a fill in for some dance routines. Watching him work on his solo album was nice, but I had more fun playing video games with him in the suite.

Seungri-oppa, where is everyone?”

“They are on their way” he says pulling out my seat near the end table so I can sit. He sits across from me and puffs out his cheeks patiently before giving me a smile. “So did you have fun today?”

“You ask me that everyday” I add reaching for the pitcher to pour us some water. “Why?”

He shrugs his shoulders. “It only makes sense that you will come back to a place that makes you happy.”

“I’ll come back either way” I say setting the water glass in front of him.

“But we’re friends. And as my friend I want you happy” he says taking a sip of his water. “Besides, I have rules to being my friend.”

“Oh really?” I ask sarcastically.

“Yes… the first is all of my friends must have a good time when they are with me.”

I automatically begin laughing.

“I’m serious” he chuckles. “If you don’t have a good time with me, I will not give up until you do. Therefore…this is the most important rule.”

            He’s suddenly reminding me of the King in the musical the King & I.

“Okay, so what are your other rules?” I say drinking my water.

He waves a hand back and forth. “Unimportant.”

“Tell me anyway…please?”

He twists his mouth like its some great effort. “Ok! Ok! I’ll tell you…let’s see…uh…I got it!”

“Okay” I say patiently.

“You must laugh at all of my jokes, no matter how…how…uh…what is the word?”

I think a minute before guessing. “Lame?”

Neh!  Lame!” He puts a hand under his chin thinking of more rules. “Ah yes! You must let me win at all times! No matter what we play!”

“Well I guess this means we can’t be friends.”

“Why?” He pouts adorably, looking more and more like a panda-man.

“Because I refuse to let you win, especially if I can help it. Besides, I’ve already beaten you at video games-”

“Doesn’t count” he shakes his head at me. “I let you win; I wasn’t even trying.”

“Oh come on! You so totally were” I grin and he almost cracks a smile. “I think I even saw you starting to sweat.”

He takes another drink from his water glass before setting it down. “I guess I’ll let that rule go…if it means I get to keep you around.”

            Instead of smiling, Seungri is giving me a look so intense it’s causing my face to get hot. I can feel myself slowly forgetting how to think properly; our moment  is beginning to grow with tension and I can’t break away from his gaze. I can’t quite put a description on his expression; but the closest thing I can compare it to is desire. I feel myself laugh a little at the absurd suggestion; Seungri doesn’t want me. He could have anyone in the world, and I highly doubt he’s going to go for his band-mate’s ex. I eventually force myself to look away only to find T.O.P entering the restaurant. He strides over to us dressed in a black buttoned down shirt  that’s tucked in to black dress pants. It elongates across his body accentuating his broad shoulders. His honey chocolate brown hair is a little curly, just adding even more onto my weakness for him.

“Am I interrupting something?”

“No!” I shout rushed. “I m-mean, no” I say a little calmer. “We were just waiting for everyone else.”

            T.O.P and I are watching Seungri shift in what can only be described as annoyance.

“They’ll be down in a minute” T.O.P says before giving me a look asking ‘What’s wrong with him?’

            I shrug my shoulders and he tries to give me a smile with only his eyes, but I look away before he can give me the full effect. T.O.P sits one seat away from Seungri, and the three of us are sitting at the table patiently until he breaks the silence.

“Devon,”

“Hm?”

“What do you recommend for dinner?”

“Well-“

“Whatever she says Hyung I’m sure you won’t listen” Seungri laughs with an edge. “Besides, we all know she has poor decision skills.”

            I feel a frown form on my face as I’m thinking about his sentence. Did he really just say that? Did he really just mean that? Maybe with the language barrier, he didn’t really mean what he just said. But what did he mean about me having poor decision skills? Although I have to admit that he’s a little right when he says that T.O.P never listens to anything I say. T.O.P’s eyes squint into slits before he folds his arms towards Seungri.

“Chef Martinique is one of the best chefs in the country; I’m sure whatever you order will taste amazing” I say trying to ease the tension.

Seungri grins at me in approval and I become even more confused. “You see? She’s wizened up in the past two years…she won’t make the same mistake again, right Devon?”

“I guarantee the next time won’t be a mistake” T.O.P says catching my eye to make me a promise. “How did your day go Devon?”

I’m a little flustered from T.O.P’s promise to Seungri’s uncomfortable talk but I stutter a bit before answering.

“It was good, a little-“

“She had a wonderful time with me today” Seungri cuts me off dramatically. “She helped me with some choreography and then we went to the studio-“

“Oh?”

I nod towards T.O.P and become ecstatic when I see Daesung finally join us. I become so thankful when he sits next to me.

“Dae-oppa! It’s so good to see you!”

He looks at me confused before giving me a chuckle. “I guess so, but you see me everyday…aren’t you tired of this face by now?”

I shake my head violently. “Of course not! Never! What did you do today?”

“I went to the gym and then wrote some lyrics for a song I’m working on.”

“Really?” I ask excited. “What’s it called?”

“Dangerous” he smirks and my entire face lights up. “Hey! Maybe I could borrow you from T.O.P and you can come to the studio with me. How does that sound?”

“She can’t” Seungri says selfishly. “We’re spending the whole morning together.”

            Out of the corner of my eye I see T.O.P shift in his seat.

“W-We are?” I ask completely confused.

Seungri looks at me affectionately. “Don’t tell me you forgot!”

            I feel the entire table’s eyes look to me; my mouth goes dry.

“Remember? I said I wanted to see the zoo? You said you would take me before I left.”

“We still have another month” Daesung reminds him.

“A promise is a promise Devon” Seungri whines a little.

“But I didn’t promise you tomorrow” I almost laugh.

“No” T.O.P says finally speaking. “It’s a great idea, I’ve always wanted to see Central Park Zoo. We’ll go tomorrow.”

“We?” Seungri scoffs. “It’s supposed to be us.”

 “Don’t I have to help someone tomorrow? Anyone?”

“No” T.O.P and Seungri say together.

“Teddy!” I exclaim feeling smothered from their tension. “No one seems to need me tomorrow. Do you have any errands I can do?”

“Uh?” He responds me totally taking him off guard.

“Whatever it is can wait until the afternoon. Her morning belongs to me” Seungri smiles.

I let out a quiet groan as Daesung leans into me. “I’ll save you, just meet me at the studio afterwards. It’ll give you a break.”

            I swear it takes everything I have not to kiss my Knight’s cheek. I would just have to get through the morning. Taeyang and GD are entering the restaurant and make their way to the table.

“What’s going on?” Taeyang asks picking up the tension.

“Yeah what happened?” GD says siting next to me noticing the pout on my face.

“Apparently, I’m going to the zoo with Seungri and T.O.P tomorrow” I explain.

Taeyang looks at me warily, then looking at the clearly annoyed faces of Seungri and T.O.P.

“That’s it, I’m going too” GD teases and T.O.P cracks a smile picking up the menu.

 

 

 

 

            The next morning as I’m getting ready, I’m searching my closets and drawers finding nothing to wear except for the clothes T.O.P bought me. This is what I get for not doing laundry for the past few weeks; my only option is to pick from the clothes. I end up choosing the navy blue peasant blouse and I magically find a pair of leggings and a pair of ballet flats. My hair is wavy and loose and my makeup is kept bright and clean, even though I’m clearly dead on my feet. It’s got to be at least 8:30 in the morning.  I take a small black handbag and fit my wallet and schedule into it before walking downstairs to leave. It’s empty and I’m writing my parents a note letting them know I’ve left for the day. I open the door and see a black SUV parked in front of my house. I already know it’s them and I’m rushing outside to prevent another meet and greet with my mom. T.O.P and Seungri both get out and hold the door open for me on both sides of the car. I wince slightly choosing to take the front seat next to the driver. T.O.P tries to close my door, but I slam it so quick he doesn’t have a chance. His eyes pop open in surprise as he looks at me through the tinted window. I bite my lip not sure at all what to say, so I begin buckling myself into the seat. Seungri and T.O.P get into the car and begin buckling too.

“Good morning everyone” I say a little sleepily; the driver ducks his head to me.

“Morning” T.O.P answers.

“Good morning Devon” Seungri smiles. “Did you sleep well?”

“Uh…very well, thank you” I answer.

“Excited for today?” Seungri asks interested.

“Totally” I yawn.

            Through the car’s rearview mirror I can see T.O.P smile a little. I grip the car embracing the familiar pang in my heart. That  smile will be the death of me; I can’t help but love it. Because it’s so early and on a weekday the traffic on the way to the tunnel seems a little backed up.

“Aish! So many cars” Seungri whines. “I just want to get there!”

I smile at his impatience. “What animals do you want to see?”

“All of them” he says enthusiastic. “Lions, and tigers and bears-”

“Oh my!” The driver finishes getting looks from all of us before we’re laughing hard.

“What about you Devon?” T.O.P asks.

“I don’t know…if they have an aquatic exhibit that’d be really cool.”

“Aq-Aq wah! What is that?” Seungri asks with a chuckle.

“It means water, like fish and stuff” I say giving the worst explanation of the word. I put my hands on the side of my face before making fish faces at him.

He laughs understanding. “Oh! Your so cute! Trying to help your oppa! So sweet.”

            T.O.P lets out a deep enough breath to make me turn around and face forward.

“But what animals do you like in the water?” Seungri asks still talking to me.

“Beluga whales.”

“Ba Lu Ka?”

“Hm. They are so cute…they look like they are smiling all of the time” I smile thinking of the mammal. “They look so happy to see me, sometimes they even wave.”

“Now you’re teasing me” Seungri says like I’m trying to trick him.

“Nuh-uh” I shake my head like a kid. “They wave to me.”

“Yeah okay” Seungri says disbelieving.

            I’m plugging in my iPod into the car’s stereo dock immediately going to BoA’s English album.

“You know BoA?” Seungri asks.

I nod searching for my favorite song by her. “I think she’s incredible! Like her voice! And her dancing is just so good.”

“Yeah, if I had her as a dance partner, she would be my second greatest.”

I turn around in my seat to face him; my face is totally scrunched. “BoA? The second greatest ? Yeah, okay” I laugh. “Who was your first? Michael Jackson?”

“No” he smirks. “You.”

“Oh please oppa” I laugh turning back to the stereo to find Energetic before putting it on shuffle. “This song is even making the traffic go faster.”

            I begin singing the first verse and the chorus bobbing my head to the beat when T.O.P begins singing.

“I’m feelin so energetic don’t think ya’ll will ever get it…I’m feelin so energetic don’t think ya’ll will ever get it”

            He’s singing it lowly looking out the window but when he thinks he catches my eye he bobs his head to the beat. You know how you begin singing a song and someone else joins in; your face brightens into smile…mine did before I could stop myself. I’m too busy being caught up into his singing I begin singing a little louder with more confidence just dancing in the car. T.O.P get’s louder the second time around and somehow it turns into some kind of unintentional duet.

“Put me on, put me on, put me on…Report to the dance floor”

For a few minutes, it’s effortless between us again and I begin to relax. As soon as the song is over my walls go back up and I shift in my seat a little uncomfortable. We’re entering the tunnel and I’m quiet for the rest of the ride. The driver parks on a side street near Central Park. T.O.P opens my door and I get out easily beginning to walk ahead towards the park’s entrance. It’s so pretty this early in the morning. I turn around and look back to see T.O.P walking by himself coming after me, Seungri is still discussing something with the driver.

“Whoa! It’s really pretty here” T.O.P says amazed like a four year old. “I want to walk through the park…it’s so big.”

“Yeah, it’s really beautiful” I admit taking in the scenery.

“Is this your favorite place?”

I frown thinking. “I don’t think I have a favorite place. Unless maybe-”

“You waited for me!” Seungri shouts. “That’s so sweet! This place is really something eh?”

“Yeah, we were just talking about how beautiful it is” I explain.

“Beautiful?” He scoffs. “How can you say it’s beautiful with you in the area?”

I feel my face frown before I’m laughing. “Oppa! Are you saying I’m ugly?” I laugh even harder.

“What?” he says confused.

“You said, ‘How can you say it’s beautiful with me in the area’…so does that mean it’s not because I’m here-“

“No! No! That’s not what I meant.”

I laugh even harder pretending not to know what he meant.

I meant that because I’ve seen her this morning, nothing else is beautiful to me” Seungri says to T.O.P in Korean.

I immediately stop laughing feeling the heat rush to my face.

Do you know the words to translate?” Seungri asks T.O.P. “What am I saying? Of course you don’t Hyung!”

I let out another giggle; T.O.P looks at me and I’m trying to stifle it but it’s of no use.

From her reaction, it seems she understands” T.O.P says flatly.

“You speak Korean Devon?”

“A very little bit.”

“Enough to be embarrassed” he says putting a hand to my cheek. “You’re really warm” he laughs.

            My hands immediately fly to my face feeling the rise in temperature. I gulp and step away from him; T.O.P is glaring at the both of us.

“We should go to the zoo area” I say walking ahead and the two of them follow. 

 

~~~~

okay, so i know this one is kinda short, but the next update will be up soon (hopefully).  alright leave me a comment, ill reply :) much love...pce!