Flashback

Second Time Around

“Hey!” I shouted as some kids began swinging on the pool ropes like Tarzan. “Get off the rope!”

                I sighed rolling my eyes continuing to overlook the grounds of the outside pool. I adjusted my sunglasses watching the different people lounging in the sun or splashing each other with water. Early summer and it was already in the mid-80’s and I was already wiping my brow from sweat. This was no doubt going to be a scorcher.

“What are you doing Devon?” My boss Summer asked me.

                Summer was a middle aged black hair woman with a slender frame but piercing blue eyes that seemed to freeze the soul. Everyone on my job nicknamed her Xena not only for her striking resemblance to Lucy Lawless, but she was also known to go all warrior princess when things didn’t go her way. She was in charge of the grounds and landscaping of my job at the Hilton Hotel.

“I’m making sure no one drowns” I answered half heartedly. “So far so good right?”

“You can’t stay planted; you have to make yourself known. Move around”  she snapped back totally unappreciative of my humor.

“Yes Summer” I nodded fast so she would go away even faster. “I’ve only been skimming this pool every fifteen minutes; I guess I can be thirteen minutes ahead of the next one.”

                She left my table and I got up to rid the pool of the five beetles that magically fell into the pool giving me something to fish out. I skimmed my way to the deep end and gazed into twelve feet deep of blue. I began smiling as I remembered one of the random times Hyun Joong and I would sneak in here to go swimming.

~(Flashback)~

“Shhhhhhhh!!!!!” I hissed to him. “We have to stay really quiet, we’re really not supposed to be here.”

                I was practically holding my breath as I unlocked the gate that led to the outside pool. It swung open with, what seemed to me to be the loudest screech ever. I thought sure we had awoken someone, but no one came out. I mentally cursed my idea; at wanting to show Hyun Joong that I could be spontaneous. Never did I ever expect him to go through with it with me; if we were caught it was an automatic suspension if not immediate termination. I hesitated debating whether or not to turn around, lock the gate and run but Hyun Joong grabbed my hand and tugged me forward. It was amazing how one simple gesture could bring immediate comfort; not to mention sending my body writhing with happiness. The pool was absolutely beautiful with its turquoise blue waters making gentle waves, contrasting with the pale light of the side lamps.

“Okay…” I began while he pulled his shirt over his head. “So, whatever you do don’t-”

“AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!” Hyun Joong yelled before doing a cannon ball in the deep end.

“Scream” I said smacking myself hard in the face. “Like seriously! We have to be quiet; I could lose my job” I pouted.

                He swam to the side and began lifting himself out of the pool. Water was dripping from him everywhere making him expel gusts of air through his mouth. His now semi-short hair had droplets stuck to random pieces of his ponytail. His broad shoulders flexed as he pulled himself out of the pool and he suddenly had my undivided attention.

“Dev?”

“Uh…y-yea? Yes?” I stuttered.

“You're starting to gape” he smiled flicking me with the water falling from his arms.

I felt my face and it felt blank. “Was not.”

“Really?” He asked stepping closer. “Cause it looked like you were.”

“Nope…not me!” I shook my head before he picked me up. “Put me down Hyun Joong” I hissed at him.

“Okay” he said easily edging closer to the water.

                My eyes stretched and like a cat I latched myself to him. My arms squeezed around his neck and for a few seconds I was caught up in the fact that I was pressed so close to his chiseled bare chest.

“Yah!” He laughed before trying to shake me off; I held him tighter. “Let go!”

“No way!” I promised squeezing his neck with my arms. “You drop me, you drop us both!”

“Hold your breath” I heard him smile.

                I tensed up automatically but obeyed taking a deep breath as he jumped in carrying me. The cool water awaited us as I released my grip on him to swim to the top.

“I’m so gonna get you for that!” I threatened splashing him in the face.

He wiped his eyes before refocusing them on me. “I’m just gonna get you” he challenged swimming towards me.

                Did I have to be the slowest swimmer in the world? I only made it to the shallow end of the pool before I felt his arms grab onto my waist pulling me to him. But honestly? Was being caught by him such a bad thing?

“I got you!” He grinned turning my body to face him in the water.

“I let you” I added allowing him to pull me really close.

                He smirked ducking his head to kiss me. The contact sweet and sensitive, before building into something greater…

~(End of Flashback)~

“Hey gorgeous!”

                My head snapped up from the lovely memory as I focused on the voice who called me. My friend Greg from college was running over to me wearing an identical pool staff shirt; but unlike me he oversaw the indoor pool.

“When do you get out?” He asked leaning on the fence.

“Soon, thank God! I’m so tired” I said walking over to the table where Greg was. “We hanging out later?”

“Oh yeah no doubt!” He said removing his shades from the top of his head. “Burgers and billiards?”

“Yeah sounds like fun” I said preparing to sit at my table underneath my umbrella; the only source of shade in the entire pool area. “I’ll text Paije and see what she’s up too.”

“Come on Dev!” He groaned. “I’m trying to get you alone.”

“I know” I laughed. “That’s why I’m inviting Paije.”

“Greg we’ve got a problem at in the indoor Jacuzzi? Some kid just puked on the tile walkway” Summer’s voice came over the walkie-talkie.

                Greg and I shared looks of disgust before breaking into a shared laughter.

“Just be glad it’s tile and not grass” I added as before he answered the page.

“Yeah, I’m coming Summer” he his heel easily walking the other way. “Later?”

                I shook my head and laughed getting back to work.

~

“Come on Paije! We haven’t been out since graduation which was like three weeks ago!”

“Fine!” Paije groaned. “What time are we leaving?”

“I don’t know. What time do you get back from the Gallery?”

                Unlike me, Paije actually got to put her Art History major to use after we graduated. All those years of volunteering at the Gallery Art Studio paid off because she was now working at the Zimmili Art Institute. She was organizing her first show by herself for the world renowned artist Deon Lucas; a show which could make or break her career.

“Not for another hour” she sighed. “I’m waiting for a particular piece before I go home. I can just meet you guys at the bar.”

“You sure? Cause we hadn’t planned on leaving for another half-hour or so. We could wait-”

“Nah, I’ll just see you there.”

“Alright” I shrugged changing out of my sweaty work shirt into a black tee shirt and jeans. “See you there.”

                After hanging up with Paije and texting Greg the plan, I took out a sheet of paper and began writing my letter like I’ve been doing for the past two years.

Dear T.O.P-oppa,

                I’m trying to think of something that I haven’t told you yet. Which is weird because I pretty much tell you everything since I’ve been rambling on and on for almost two years. Hopefully you are doing well and you are safe and sound. I am anxiously awaiting your comeback, I can’t even begin to explain how much I miss you. Its amazing how I haven’t listened to a single song of yours since you left, which means that my ears are craving your sound more than anything. I talked to Teddy awhile ago and he told me that BIGBANG is planning something huge when you get out. So you see? It’s not just me who’s anxiously waiting for your return. Honestly? I’m glad BB decided not to go on with out you; I feel that that would’ve been really painful for all of us; BIGBANG and your fans. See? I start rambling and I forget what it was that I wanted to tell you. I'm laughing because I’m coming up blank. I hope you know that I miss you! And I pray you are getting enough to eat and that you are happy! Your happiness is like one of the most important things to me; I need to make sure that you're in good spirits so you can focus on your daily tasks and do well. Please keep safe, and pay attention! Not everything revolves around you; I still do (mostly) but not everything else. My thoughts and prayers are on you and I will love you forever and a day…

Love, pce;

Devon.

 

~~~~

okay so i had the urge to write so i did lol here you go, the first part! sorry it's short