Chapter 2

A Little Twist

*Thank you to everyone who read the first chapter! I hope you like it so far! This fic is so much easier to post in than the fic that i'm writing with my sister... but I love her. Enjoy the chapter!*

 

Dongwoo was awoken harshly, as he was every morning. Every part of his life had gotten to be old by the time he was a teenager. His father was always away on some 'mission', which Dongwoo knew was really him trying to be as far away from the woman he married.

Dongwoo's stepmother and his real father clearly married each other for the sole purpose of money. Dongwoo's father had a nasty habit of forgetting he even existed, and his stepmother tried her very best to treat him worse than dirt.

"Yah! Dongwoo! Get up, you lazy !" She threw a piece of paper at him. "There are all the chores that need to be done before lunch. Now get to work, before I'm forced to get the broom myself!" Dongwoo knew this meant she would get the broom and beat him with it.

The tired boy shot a look at the paper and saw the word 'floor' first, and that's exactly what he did. He got out his mop, and he cleaned the floors.

Now, living like this, all day every day, can get quite boring. Dongwoo usually spent his cleaning time to make up new raps that no one would ever get to hear, except his "beloved" stepsisters. However, for the past week, one person had invaded his mind: Hoya.

All he had was the few lines of 'I say Ho, you say Ya' and 'I'm so sorry' playing on repeat in his head. His stepsisters thought it was rather strange how Dongwoo chose to keep his mouth shut for once. They, of course, complained about it, even though they had always complained about him talking to himself.

 

---------

 

"My prince," A servant bowed before Howon's bed. "Your mother, The Queen, says she has very important business to discuss with you." The frightened man quickly bowed his head and apologized for waking up the Prince Howon.

Howon waved his hand as if to forget about being so serious with him, but the servant misunderstood and quickly retreated from the room. Howon frowned, but made his way to the dining hall where he knew his parents would be.

"Howon, my son!" The queen said proudly, arms wide open to embrace her second child. "Come, sit." She motioned to a chair next to the King himself. Howon stared at his parents with wide eyes and cautiously took the seat. In the case of Howon's parents, 'Important business' always meant 'bad news'.

"Oh stop looking at us like that," Howon's mother scolded when she say the petrified look Howon was giving them. "It's good news this time, I swear." She gave him a nice smile and looked at Howon's father, The King.

"Now son," Howon sighed, pouted and sat back in his chair. He felt like this was going to take a while. "We, your mother and I, know that you are your own person." His father took this time to stand up, and start pacing the room.

"We also know that Hojae is his own person, as is Hojun. However, you are a prince! Therefore, you have responsibilities that you must take seriously, and with pride as well. We're not throwing you in the lions den or anyhitng. It's not that bad... Stop making that face!"

Howon sighed again as he fell even further into his chair. He knew exactly what they were talking about, and they might as well have thrown him into the lion's den. It would be much less painful than this conversation, at least. "I know what you're talking about," Howon exclaimed in a monotone voice. "I'm not my brother, nor you. I'm not ready to get married yet...".

The queen sat upright as if to show Howon not to slouch, "Out of the question. All princes must be married. And in case you haven't noticed yet, you ARE a prince!" She said, not even raising her voice.

"Why do I even have to get married?" Howon questioned. "Hojae is already married. He's taking over the crown. I thought only the King and Queen had to be married." He huffed. He was already done with this conversation. He just wanted to go and cook the noodles he got from Mr. Lee.

His mother smoothed her dress and spoke loudly, "What if something were to happen to Hojae, though? You're next in line. Howon, we're trying to be civil with you, but you're making this very difficult. Stop acting like a child and just get married." She turned to the King to tell Howon the last bit of news.

The King sighed, he kned Howon was really not going to like what he was about to say, "Howon, we're holding a ball, so that you may meet every girl in the kingdom. By the end of the night, you must pick at least one girl that may be suitable for marriage. There are hundreds and thousands of pretty, nice, young women in the kingdom. It won't be THAT bad... Get back here! We haven't even had breakfeat yet!" The King shouted at him.

Howon had tried to escape, but to no avail. As his brothers, and grandparents came into the dining hall, he was forced to sit next to the person who his parents seemed to love the most: Hojae.

 

------------

 

The market wasn't as crowded this morning than it was for the past few days. Dongwoo moved easily through the people to find the place where he had first met the handsome boy, Hoya. He planned on finding the boy today, seeing is it was the first day all week that his stepmother had let him come to the market to shop alone. These were the days he enjoyed the most. Not only that, but on more crowded days, he would stand on main square and perform one of his unheard raps. That usually made him enough money to buy a decent lunch that day.

He remembered meeting the boy next to Mr. Lee's shop, so he entered the small store in hopes of finding out more about Hoya. "Mr. Lee? Hello?"

"Ah Dongwoo!" Mr. Lee had also been an excellent benefactor to Dongwoo's weekly grocery expeditions. "What brings you here today, lad?"

"Actually, Mr. Lee," Dongwoo suddenly realized that what he was asking for may sound a little... creepy. He rephrased the question he was going to ask in his head. "I, um, ran into a boy last week. When the vendors were really crowded and I had a cold. Do you remember that day?" Mr. Lee simply nodded with a smile. "I met him just outside of your shop, and, um, OH!" Mr. Lee gave the strange boy a confused look. "He dropped some of his things, and I wanted to know where I could find him."

Mr. Lee nodded happily in understanding. "Ah, I'm afraid many boys came to my shop that day. Could you be alittle more specific?"

Dongwoo was confused, then he remembered that he hadn't used Hoya's name yet, "Oh haha I know his name. It's Hoya."

Suddenly Mr. Lee's face lit up, "Ah yes, Hoya! That boy always buys from my shop. You say you have something of his? I could give it to him next time I see him." Mr. Lee suggested.

Dongwoo shook his head, "I have a free day today, and I'd prefer not to go home early. So do you know where he lives?"

Mr. Lee shook his head. "I'm sorry, Dongwoo. Nobody really knows where he lives. He may be a very nice boy, but he's also very secretive. Why do you think he wears that darn cloak whenever he comes. Even in the Summer. Geez".

Dongwoo was very dissappointed. He just wanted to see Hoya once more. "Well, can you tell me anything about him?"

Before Mr. Lee could answer though, someone entered the shop. Dongwoo thought nothing of it at first, but then he saw that the man who entered was wearing a large cloak, covering up his face. He carried a few small things with him, and Dongwoo realized he himself looked like a man right now.

"Ah Hoya!" Mr. Lee exclaimed, motioning him toward them, "Speak of the devil! We were just talking about you!"

Hoya looked at Mr. Lee in a confused expression, which no one was able to see due to his outfit. "Mr. Lee, are you alright? You're the only one here." Mr. Lee whipped his head around him, only to find Dongwoo gone.

Dongwoo stood just outside of the shop. He clutched his heart. That was too close. Then the thought occured to him, What if Hoya doesn't even remember me? He shook his head. If Hoya didn't remember him, he would just have to run into Hoya again.

He quickly found a shawl to wrap around his head, and tried a few fake coughs before he went to wait for Hoya in the main square. To his surprise, Hoya was already there.

He crept up behind Hoya and tapped his shoulder. Hoya spun around in surprise. "Fancy meeting you here!" Dongwoo laughed.

Hoya laughed as well. At least he hasn't forgotten about me, Dongwoo thought. "H-How are you?" Hoya seemed to be stuttering. Dongwoo hoped he hadn't given his cold to Hoya.

"Oh I'm fine, just getting some shopping done." Dongwoo laughed again, a small blush forming on his cheeks. He held up a few bags so Hoya could see said shopping. "How about you?"

"Yeah, I'm just shopping too. Say, Dongwoo, Do you know anything about cooking?" Hoya asked.

Oh my god, Dongwoo thougth again. He remembers my name! All Dongwoo could do to respond was nod his head.

"Well, then you'll have to show me how it's done sometime. I don't know how it happened, but I somehow messed up noddles." Hoya laughed a loud obnoxious laugh. Almost as bad as Dongwoo's. Hoya quickly face-palmed himself. "Ah, Dongwoo, Dongwoo!" Hoya spoke as if just remembering something. "Look," He pointed to a new page on the town posting board, "It says that the royal family is hosting a ball for the Prince Howon's birthday. Are you going?"

Dongwoo saw the page. There would be no way in heaven or hell that his stepmother would let him go. "Oh, I guess so. It does say all maidens are invited. I wonder what that's about. I bet the Prince Howon is just a ert, trying to hook up with all the young ladies. I hope he knows that the only people who are going to dance with him are just desperate to be royalty".

Hoya looked dissappointed or some reason. "I'm sure the Prince Howon isn't that bad. What if he's being forced to hold the ball?" Dongwoo tapped his chin. He hadn't thought of that.

"Well, then, If that's the case, then I promise to blow the prince away with my excellent dancing!" Dongwoo started popping a few of his limbs around. Hoya laughed his obnoxious laugh in responce. The pair of them probably looked ridiculous to any bystander.

"Well, I'm going too. My family was invited. So if I don't see you doing exactly THAT on the dance floor, then you will have to face my wrath!" There was an awkward silence until Hoya face-palmed himself again. Dongwoo only laughed his own hideous laugh.

Suddenly, the castle bells rang to show it was noon. Dongwoo wanted to suggest they go find a vendor to buy lunch from, but Hoya quickly apologized and started running towards the castle. Dongwoo wasn't even upset though. He was just happy to have talked to Hoya for so long. Even if it meant he had to now find a way to get to the ball without his stepmother knowing.

*Comments are welcomed and encouraged. ^^ I will give you a cookie!*