Chapter 10

A Little Twist

*Okay! I feel like Woogyu is this emotional train wreck, and I don't really care. Enjoy the next chapter!*

 

~~~~~~

 

Hoya awoke to the melodic sounds of large furniture being thrown around. 'Lovely,' he thought, 'Woohyun and Sunggyu must be awake...' He rolled over onto his side to catch a glimpse of the bed across from his. Of course, that bed belonged to Dongwoo, but he was surprised to see that the bed was empty. Usually, the older man was the last person in the house to wake.

The former prince shrugged and rolled out of his own bed, more excited than he usually was to get up in the imperial household, for today was the last day of the month, which also meant the last day of Dongwoo and Hoya staying with Woohyun and Sunggyu. The two emperors were upset to see the two off, however, and Hoya himself admitted that he would miss them. He had grown to like them; he just wasn't too thrilled about the constant mood-changes in the small family. Hoya hadn't had a chance to talk to Dongwoo about it very much, but he could tell just from the way Dongwoo was holding himself lately, he wasn't too happy about leaving either.

Hoya trudged toward the sounds of Woohyun and Sunggyu. He was almost certain that wherever they were, Dongwoo would be too. Hoya had found that Dongwoo was quickly becoming his closest friend, and he wasn't complaining at all. He felt Dongwoo was the only person who truly understood what he was feeling and was able to be there for him whenever he needed him. Although they didn't say much, Hoya didn't think they needed to.

As he entered the large dining room, Hoya felt a pair of arms latch onto him; of course this meant it was either Dongwoo or Woohyun. Sunggyu never seemed to enjoy skinship, even with Woohyun. Hoya glanced to his shoulder to see a large mouth grinning right at him. He couldn't help but smile back. "I take it you're in a good mood this morning?" Hoya thought it was refreshing seeing how Dongwoo had been lately.

Dongwoo hummed and let go of Hoya just so he could see him face to face. "I'm in a great mood today!" He laughed.

Hoya laughed along, addicted to the elder's voice and wanting nothing more than to hear that laugh every moment he saw Dongwoo. "Dongwoo, you've seemed pretty distant. Was there something wrong?" He asked, genuinely concerned for his friend.

Dongwoo chuckled and sighed. He pushed a hand through his hair, "Hoya, let's sit, ok?" He asked, motioning to the side of the table that wasn't currently being abused by the royal couple.

When they had taken their seats, Woohyun and Sunggyu had taken a second from their bickering to say a lovely, "Good morning, boys," but immediately returned to their quarrels.

Scratching his neck awkwardly, Dongwoo turned to Hoya, "Um... Hoya, I know you probably won't think I'm very smart for thinking this, which is why I want to explain my thought process first..." Hoya gave a slight nod and waited for Dongwoo to continue. Dongwoo smiled slightly, "So, ever since I was little, I haven't really had a family I could depend on. I don't know how much I've told you of my family, Hoya, but now that we've gotten this far together, I figure you deserve to know.

"My father's main goal in life is money. Everything he has ever done, he has done it because he thought he could make a few bucks from it. That's why he married my step-mother. She, um, never really treated me well. I tried not to complain too much, because I'm sure she could have done much worse things to me. I know she didn't want me, I mean she already had two daughters, why would she want a son that wasn't even hers? My father told me that I should be thankful that she put up with me for so long. He kinda made me sound like I was just a big hassle, so I tried my best to make my step-mother like me, but I think she just used me for chores. Ok, I guess I really like to clean now, but it wasn't a lot of fun when she and her two daughters were throwing their chores on me like I was a slave or something." Dongwoo looked up for a moment to make sure Hoya was still listening, and to his great surprise, he saw that his story had somehow made the Royals stop fighting. They all sat at the table, staring at him intently with pity-filled eyes.

"Oh, ok. Well, I guess 'cause I was always doing chores and stuff, I never had time for real quality family time or friends, so I tried not to get attached to anything. Even when I had toys that I liked when I was younger, if I didn't hide them, they would get taken away and given to my step-sisters. Maybe that's why I was sulking around the past few days. I had let myself get attached to all of you and I didn't want it to end..." A small tear came to his eye, "But, then I realized this morning that I was just being very selfish. There I was, moping around, when there was a person who was in the same pickle as me." He smiled at Hoya, "So I'm just really happy that I'm allowed to be close to you, Hoya." He finished, folding his hands and looking down into them in embarrassment.

Before Hoya even had a chance to react to this sudden confession, Woohyun had his arms wrapped around Dongwoo, sobbing his eyes out. "Oh, Dongwoo," He cried, "I wish you could stay and we didn't have to get a stupid baby." Woohyun patted Dongwoo's head, sighing blatantly, probably to make Sunggyu angry again.

Sunggyu merely rolled his eyes, however. "Woohyun, get off of him," was all Sunggyu needed to say before Woohyun noticed the bluish tint Dongwoo's skin was taking. He let go of his guest and smoothed his elegant robes. "Anyway," Sunggyu sighed, focusing on Dongwoo, "If you ever feel like you need some company, don't hesitate to come here. You're always welcome... You too Hoya," Sunggyu smiled pleasantly. Woohyun nodded in agreement eagerly.

"It's too bad it took until the end of our stay for me to say something," Dongwoo laughed remorsefully. Hoya gave him a reassuring pat on the back, once again deciding that in this situation, actions were much more significant than words.

Woohyun, although touched by the scene, had also been putting the finishing touches on his make-up for the day. "Aish," He whined, trying to lighten the mood, "What's with this atmosphere? It's breakfast and Sungjong is supposed to get here any minute! Goodness, I hope he doesn't demand something ridiculous for this baby. I don't feel like spending too much on it," Woohyun flicked a piece of lint off the dark blue satin of his robe.

"Do you even realize all the things wrong with what you just said?" Sunggyu placed a hand on his forehead in frustration. He was more than a little thankful when breakfast was brought in, his favorite morning meal had been made to send off their delightful company. As everyone began eating, Sunggyu thought of something, "Dongwoo, Hoya, where are you going after this? Are you going to stay with Sungjong, or do you have a place that you've been looking at in the Kingdom?" Sunggyu questioned, wishing the two wouldn't be too far away. It was always nice to have someone to talk to other than Woohyun.

Hoya and Dongwoo looked at each other, recognizing that they had also not thought of that little detail. "Let's hope Sungjong has an idea..." Dongwoo tried holding in his laughter, lest he choke on his morning tea. Hoya chuckled as Dongwoo laughed, bewildered that Dongwoo could find such a situation amusing.

Just as Dongwoo was settling into another fit of laughter, a delicate knock could be heard on the door. Sunggyu tried standing to get the door, but Woohyun had him sit. "Someone will get it. Why don't you just enjoy Dongwoo and Hoya's presence while it lasts," He tsked his husband.

Sungjong entered the room while everyone was finishing up the meal. Now, he normally hated to boast his skills but Sungjong had to admit that he had outdone himself with the outfit this time. He wore a pair of dark grey jeans with a hint of a shimmer on them, the bottom of the jeans rolled up ever so slightly. The simple slip-on shoes were a solid black to match the plain black vest he wore. To accentuate the shimmering grey scarf around his neck, he wore a white T-shirt and plenty of silver bracelets. "Good morning, lovelies. Such a good mornin' for a walk or ... finding a new house," he suggested with a laugh.

The fairy-god maknae took a seat at the table, getting down to business immediately and pulling out his debt book for Woohyun and Sunggyu. With a grunt, he was able to flip open to the last page that barely had room for one wish left. He glanced up at the four around him and placed his hand on the page. With a small (and proud) smile, he swiped his hand along the page, erasing everything on just that page. "Dongwoo, Hoya, thank you both for helping these two. I'm sure they've been nothin' but angels, right?"

"Well," Dongwoo and Hoya both started at the same time, shutting their mouths immediately after receiving death glares from both Woohyun and Sunggyu. They looked down and nodded, "We had a wonderful time..." They snickered at themselves.

"Oh, that's just peachy. I hope the next family I put y'all with will be as good..." His voice picked a worried tone. He drummed his fingers along the page and furrowed his eyebrows. "Know what, why don't we start with you two," He said, turning to Sunggyu and Woohyun.

They nodded. Woohyun crossed his legs and arms, waiting for Sungjong to require one of each so they could get the snotty little brat. Sunggyu could hardly sit still in excitement, exhilarated by finally taking this new step in his life. He pried one of Woohyun's hands away so he could hold it. "Are we getting the little one today?" He beamed.

"I'm afraid not, pumpkin pie. I was talkin' with my boss just this morning about it, and he actually isn't allowing me to give you anything without payment first," Sungjong's heart fell apart at the look on Sunggyu's face. However, the look on Woohyun's face made him want to punch the Emperor. "Baby, why do you look happy?" Sungjong judged as relief washed over Woohyun.

Unsurprisingly, Sunggyu let go of his husband's hand. "What's the price?" Sunggyu demanded.

Perking up a little, Sungjong leaned back into the chair, "Now, darlin', I think I worked the crop pretty well on this one and was able to get you a mighty fine deal, though, Woohyun's going to have to take care of this one," He turned his head to Woohyun.

Woohyun's face dropped. "What? I don't even want it! Why do I have to pay for it?" He pursed his lips into a fine line.

"Oh Woohyun, I expected so much more from you. Don't you just ever want to do something for Sunggyu?" Sungjong guilt-tripped Woohyun to helping out.

Woohyun knew that at this point, if he didn't help out, he wasn't only going to seem like an to his husband and new friends, but also like a to the entire Kingdom. He took a deep breath, and nodded, "I'll do it."

Dongwoo, Hoya, and Sungjong all looked away as Sunggyu jumped onto the younger and showered him in affection, "Woohyun, you don't even realize how happy I am right now," Sunggyu practically cried.

"Honey, I haven't even told you the price yet," Sungjong laughed, happy to see the couple acting like this for once.

"Yeah, what IS the price?" Woohyun asked, trying to get Sunggyu off of him.

"Nothing much, I know you can do it, 'cause I've seen you do it before. Lord knows it's the only reason Sunggyu's parents accepted you as Emperor. " Sungjong turned back to them. "I need three room-fulls."

"Oh, hell no! Do you know how much work that is?" Woohyun pouted.

"Wait, what can he do?" Hoya asked, reminding everyone that he and Dongwoo were still there.  

Woohyun, Sunggyu, and Sungjong whipped their heads towards the two, slightly surprised by the sudden intrusion of Hoya. "Sorry, sugar, I guess we should explain..." Sungjong apologized. 

Woohyun held up a petite hand, indicating that he wanted to explain, "Alright, so, as the Emperors of the Kingdom before Sunggyu and I, Sunggyu's parents clearly wanted their son's partner to be special. Every person Sunggyu brought home... They had to be able to do something special. If not, they got the boot," Woohyun chuckled to himself as Sunggyu groaned, remembering all the suitors his parents had kicked out for not having that 'regal' atmosphere. "Of course, his parents loved me, because I had the most skills," he said with a smile.

"They certainly didn't like your attitude..." Sunggyu mumbled. 

"Regardless, I'm the most skilled because I, Kim Woohyun, can spin straw into gold!" He explained grinning with hubris.

The group shared a moment of silence before Hoya and Dongwoo broke out in a fit of laughter. "Sure, sure.... He can spin straw into gold," Dongwoo held his side as Hoya collapsed onto Dongwoo's shoulder.

"What? Why are you laughing? It's true..." He pouted as Sunggyu started snickering with their friends. "Sunggyu, don't you start laughing, baby. You've seen me do it!" He accused the older Emperor.  "And Sungjong... " he huffed, slumping his head into his hand, "how much time do I have?"

Sungjong smiled sweetly and patted Woohyun's back, "You're doing the right thing, sweet potato. Take as long as you like, but..." He leaned in close to whisper, "just don't forget about how much this means to Sunggyu."

Woohyun sighed and nodded, glancing in Sunggyu's direction. "I know..."

"Well, good then. I guess if you two are ready then," he turned to Dongwoo and Hoya. He took out a small pen and wrote down various things in both Sunggyu and Woohyun's debt book, and in the pamphlet sized book he used for everyone else. The two fugitives stood and slowly made their way to the rooms to collect their few belongings. Sunggyu may have found them a few of Woohyun's things to take with them. Just clothes and other necessary objects, but Sunggyu was more than ready to get rid of anything he could. Especially if they belonged to Woohyun.

When the two returned, they held small cases and waited for Sungjong to finish any transactions. 

"Wait!" Woohyun stood up quickly, racing over to the two. They dropped their bags as Woohyun jumped into them, embracing them in a large hug. As he thanked them over and over again, Sunggyu stood up to join the group. 

"You know I don't normally like to do these kind of things, but get over here, you two," he chuckled as Dongwoo and Hoya squeezed him tightly. "Alright, alright, that's enough," they pulled apart, "but, seriously, if you ever need anything. Just come find us. I'm sure we'll be here," he laughed as Woohyun come to stand by him.

Sungjong put away his things carefully, patting off his pants as he stood, "Well, I guess we better get going. I told them you'd be there any minute," he looked outside at the light snowfall. "Woohyun, do we really have to go outside to do this?" He asked, pleadingly. He, of course, didn't feel like being covered in snow when they arrived at the new house.

"Of course! I told you, I hate those sparkling things that fall off of you when you transport," he scoffed, holding onto Sunggyu's arm. "I don't like them being on my floors either..." Sunggyu however looked as if he might override Woohyun's decision. So, of course, Woohyun blurted out, "Sunggyu, what if we don't get all of them, and the baby chokes on one?" He smirked.

"Come on, Sungjong, this isn't the first time you've ever transported in the snow," he shook his head, getting the image of a choking baby out of his head.

Pouting slightly, Dongwoo and Hoya followed Sungjong to the front door. "After you, darlin's," Sungjong held the door open.

"Okay, we'll see you later!" Woohyun waved.

"Oh, Sungjong, real quick!" Sunggyu interrupted Sungjong whilst in the mix of snow and sparkles. "Where are you taking them?"

Thankfully, Sungjong was able to answer just as they were disappearing, "I'm takin' them to Viceroy Myungsoo."

 

* ok, I'm done for now. -gives everyone a chocolate truffle- I hope you all like chocolate! Thank you for reading and don't forget to comment! It motivates me to update. Haha. Thank you again. I'll try to make another comeback before EXO does.*