Chapter 1

Wheels and Pedals

Chapter 1


          Again, it was another less extraordinary day in the park .. Where there were no horns ... no smoke .. no buzzing noises of the city.. just a fine summer afternoon under the trees' shadows and a slumped back against the sun roasted bench. Tao inhaled the newly exposed pages after tearing the plastic covers. He had a shallow smile, a little distant. 

          Many would guess that he had something unusual in his mind by the way his incoherent expressions. Books were his only companion. Things that could only understand him and make him feel better or at least assure that he wasn't alone. But then, at some points, Tao did felt lonely but he usually shrugged it off or at least he managed to.

          In an elegant manner, Tao crossed his legs and sighed. He shut off his eyes and coughed. They hurt out of the blazing sun especially while reading. He now just noticed that he was sweating, pretty bad. Then for a single moment, he was cooled off. The grip on his book loosen as the heavy and chilly wind blew, flipping tens of his pages. Tao was stunned to move or rather pissed because of the reasons ; one, he doesn't remember the page he stopped reading and two, his stupid papers were flying. 

          "!" Tao threw his book recklessly anywhere besides the bench then ran for his papers. The furious wind stopped then Tao took most of the out of bounds papers in his arms and at the time he was about to fish the last paper of his report ...

          "My. Hard. Work." Tao huffed and raced towards the speeding bike almost squish his paper but in one blink of an eye ... the paper 
disappeared. "Y-You! Come.. Back.. Stop!" He shouted between pants then the rider halted his bike. The tires lightly screeched on the ground.

          "What can I do for you?" The rider smiled back at him, pulling down the stand of his bike. Tao wanted to strangle him for his report-snatching of the final part of his project and this stupid stranger was completely clueless.

          "Am I missing something?" The stranger asked, popping the water bottle on his mouth. Tao set his eye on the crumpled paper on the stranger's left hand. If stares could burn, the stranger's hand would probably been gone a long time ago.

          "Give me that!" Tao launched himself towards him but the stranger jerked back. With Tao being such a klutz, he molded his face on the other's chest, taking in the mixed scent of sun, sweat and light perfume. Tao coughed then pried the important paper from the stranger's hand then he just realized, his face was burning hot. He immediately tore his attention away from the temperature of his body to fleeing with his papers.

          The stranger looked at him awkwardly, raising an eyebrow as he watch Tao speed off, almost tripping on the rock. The man turned back, his whistles matching the rhythm of the chains on his bike then he saw a flipped book laying on the grass. He hit the brakes and picked the book up.


          Tao was baffled. He kept reminding himself not to think about that report wrecker he encountered earlier. But for some reason, he was stuck in his head like a song that you've disliked but accidentally hear it. He was irritated because he kept reminiscing the scent that filled his nostrils when he hit the stranger our of his clumsiness. Vanilla..

          "Where's that stupid book?!" Out of frustration, Tao scattered-- more like threw the contents of his bag on the bed, shaking the entire cloth made product then slapped it on the floor and let his feet stomp on it. "My book!? MY BOOK?!" He frantically yelled. Thankfully, his mother was out for groceries rather hearing another session of his incoherent rants. Tears were starting to well up in his eyes. But before it was able to fall down, he wiped it off.

          It was his two weeks of allowance and now it's missing. Blood drained from his lips and his body stiffened. A sudden shiver of worry surrounded his chest, clamping it until he wasn't able to breathe properly. "One .. two .. three .." Tao continued to count to ten to lessen his boiling pants and whispered, " it."


          After an overnight session of retyping almost half of his ruined report, Tao still had the urge to skip breakfast. He was already scolded by his mother for the certain chance he might have ulcer but still, Tao persisted.

          It was twenty minute walk from the neighboorhood to his school. His feet were already used to the steep roads uphill though at some points he would give up especially when his back can't support the weight of the bag he's carrying, mostly filled with books. Another batch of panic attack surged in Tao as he double checked the insides of his bag.

Report. Check.

Wallet. Check.

Over-sized extra shirt. Check.

Umbrella. Che--- "Not again!" Tao palmed his face and the dreaded him will carry until the end of the day. Not only he was frustrated with these stupid misfortunes happening one after another, it was about to rain. And he didn't have his umbrella. "Good luck." Tao sighed to himself.

 

          As he was dragging his body up hill, the skies crackled and small droplets trickled on his face when he looked up in the grey clouds. It's like he predictated. In three, two, one..

First, his hair was wet.

Next was his face.

Then his uniform.

Finally his bag (which the so hard work report was located) and his shoes were soaked.

          Tao stood there motionless and he could imagine the water evaporating as soon as it touched his forehead. He was sick ever since yesterday of that stupid wind that stole the papers away from its place and now the rain. Tao built a grudge against nature for letting him suffer.

 

          The rain poured.... hard.

          Tao thought about going home which is now the only option he has since he's not waterproof like what the Department of Education thinks about college students and he's not even in college .. yet. Retracing his steps, he swiped his foot at every puddle he encounters to bring out the anger from his head. At the very large puddle, Tao stomped on it several times, not minding his shoes getting more soaked and the other people with umbrellas staring or laughing at him.

          "Graaaaaaaaah!!" He ruffled his jet black hair then tugged on it like he almost pulling it off. Sighing, Tao slumped his back on the metal bench, hoping that the rain would stop without him getting sick while he waits for it. Tao took off his jacket, squeezing the fabric before folding it. He shook his head like a newly bathe puppy and sweep it backwards until his hand rested on his nape, revealing his forehead.

          As much as he despised the weather, Tao liked the rain. He loved how the heavy drops fall on the pavement and the god damned wind would pass through him. It didn't matter but now it did since he was wet. He waited. He hoped for the rain to halt but no. The weather didn't grant his wish instead, it became worse.

          That wasn't the last set of misfortunes left. There was this overspeeding car who ran over a puddle then the water splashed all over Tao. Only him and the people beside him wasn't harmed. Tao gaped as he swept his face with his left hand. He felt a lot dirtier than before. He put all of his grudge on his jacket, throwing it on the floor and brought the weight on his feet several times. "STUPID DRIVER!" He growled and shot a pen on the window. It hit but good think the glass didn't break.

          I hope karma will screw the out of you. Tao cursed.

 

          Ten minutes passed and the raging rain didn't stop. Tao gritted his teeth and hugged both of his legs to keep himself warm. Light screeches of tires startled Tao. When he looked up, the man was right in front of him and the bike was parked right beside that man. "Need a lift?" The man offered revealing a sly smile.

          Tao was mesmerized by the dazzling smile the man shown. It confused him-- why was he helping a stranger like him? Is it pity? "I don't know why and you're not supposed to help a stranger. It's dangerous." Tao remained stoic as he could ever be, trying hard to force a glare out of his eyes to shut that annoying smile away from the man's face.

          "So are you saying that you're dangerous? Funny." The man snickered but still held out his hand. Tao was amused that the man didn't budge. Usually, people would be scared of his glares and most would probably seal their ears forever once they hear his threats. But no, this is different. The man was different. The smiles were fresh, soft and not forced nor fake. It was just the way it was. Sweet and elegant.

           "Coming?" Tao snapped out of his thoughts and rubbed his eyes.

           "I'm not--"

           "So you'll prefer to stay out here?" Tao wanted to rip this person to pieces for not letting him finish his sentence.

           "N-No." He stuttered, raising an eyebrow against the man.

           "Then what?" The man raised his voice and it annoyed Tao because the other's smile wasn't wavering.

           "Let me finish first before butting in, alright? Alright." Tao clicked his tongue for not speaking politely. This man is already offering to accompany him home yet he was being disrespectful. "I do not like bikes. I never did. So I won't be joining you. Thank you for the offer." Usually, others would look at him in grimace with that attitude. Yep. He's different. Tao thought to himself.

           "Nope. You'll still be going with me."The man persisted and grab Tao's arm. With one swift movement, Tao was able to reach out for his bag and jacket. The man held Tao's hand lighly while tugging him to his bike. Worried, Tao said, "I-I'm not sure with this.."

          "No need to worry!" The man said full of glee, flipping the stand of the bike. He let Tao sat on the back of the bike while he will be the one pedalling. Tao still had second thoughts about this until the bike started moving. He gasped and gripped tightly on his seat. The man hit the brakes and looked back at Tao. "Be careful. Here." He guided both of Tao's hands on his waist. "Hold on." He muttered.

          "Y-Yah--"

          "It'll be alright." He assured Tao.


          The rain already stopped and was replaced by clear clouds.

          Tao was able to hold on the rest of the ride without minding how soaked they were and how he was freezing cold because the other's heat was enough to make him comfortable. He snuggled his face closer to the other's back for he was still scared of riding a bike. Yep. We heard it right. The almighty and scary Tao was scared of bikes yet he was riding on the back of it.

          "You're still alive?" The man checked up on him and Tao replied with 'mhhh'

          What Tao didn't see was the man was still smiling. Not exactly smiling but at least he's grinning. "We're here." The bike suddenly stopped and Tao was surprised where they were.... in front of his house. Tao gaped and just kept the thoughts to himself first. He loosened the grip around the other's waist, reclaiming his arms back. Suddenly, he felt a lot colder. They both hopped out of the bike and Tao stared at the man carrying to the other house.

          "You live here?" Tao blurted out.

          "Yep. Since it's a bit embarassing to ask where your address is, so I just decided to go straight ot my house. Sorry." The man grinned and Tao grinned to himself too.

           Tao sighed in relief. "Whew. I thought you were stalking me or something." He bit his lip. "I live right here." Tao pointed at his own house and looked away from the man who'se currently staring at him.

           "O-Oh... So we're neighbors then." The man said nonchalantly.

           "Obviously..." Tao rolled his eyes. "So, is it about time to introduce ourselves?"

           "Right.. but before that. Wait here!" The man took his bike inside his house then ran inside. Tao was left outside, hearing different sounds of clashing wood. The man returned immediately, huffing and panting a lot. He's sweating more than he was biking. Tao thought to himself. "H-Here." He brought out the book and gave it to Tao.

           "My book.." Tao muttered. "S-So.. you're the one in th--"

           "Y-Yeah .. Sorry about the paper and here's your book." He offered the book back to Tao.

           "No. Keep it." Tao smiled. "As a thank you for taking me home."

           "No.. I read it already. It's really good." He gave it back to Tao. "Go. read it."

           "T-Thank you... I'm Tao. ." He brought out his right hand.

           "Kris."

 



 A/n : AISH!~~ Finally T.T I updated after a week... sorry for the late update. omg. SORRY! Forgive this lousy author T________T"

Have you seen Exo's sunbae's comeback?!?!?! SUPER JUNIOR OF COURSE!~~

too bad heechul wasn't there -.- my beautiful heenim.

anyway ... Donghae bb~~

i think i'll be updating once a week or two weeks T_T SORRY~~