Something in the Air

SM Entertainment: Secret Star Society [Finally off hiatus!]

*Knock Knock*

“One minute,” Junichiro called as he sat at his computer desk immersed in a game.  He kept right-clicking his mouse to move his character around the screen.  His mouth hung open while he focused on his game. 

*Knock Knock Knock*

“Hold on,” he responded this time.  He kept attacking minions and ignoring the world around him.  His team was trying to push.

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK* 

“I’m in middle of a game,” he was beginning to get annoyed.  His team was close to winning.
“I will beat this door down if I have to!” the voice called from behind the door.  It sounded familiar.  “Aish,” Junichiro shrugged as he went back to his team base in the game and opened the door.  It was Noriko.  She stood there with her arms cross with a disapproving look. 
“Ah, Seonbae!”  Junichiro tried to cover for ignoring her knocks.  He glanced over at the game and saw he was needed.  “Sorry about that, this game is just really intense.”  He made his moves while Noriko leaned against the wall still glaring at him.  His character died within a few minutes. 
“Oh come on!”  He tossed his hands in the hair in a fit of frustration. 

“Can we go now?” Noriko chimed in his rage. 

“What?” Junichiro seemed confused.

“Didn’t you get my text earlier?”

“Oh…” Junichiro thought back.  “Oh so that’s why you’re here.  I completely forgot.”  Junichiro checked his monitor and he had respawned.  He started furiously clicking again.  “Just a few more minutes, I promise.”

Noriko slid to the ground and waited.  After several minutes later, the game finally ended.

“Woo we won!” Junichiro cheered.  He turned his attention back to his superior.  “Okay!  I’m ready.” 

Without saying a word, Noriko walked out of his room.  He followed. 

“Where are we going anyways?” He asked as he ran back in his room to grab his coat.

“We’re going on a Shade watch.”

“Really? How cool,” Junichiro couldn’t wait. 

Noriko took them a back way to the area they had met with JYJ and MBLAQ.  They entered the building to climb up on top of the roof where there was a deck area.  It was a perfect spot for watching for Shades.  They both sat down and stared over the treetops and into the night sky.  The moon was full that night and shining on the lake that could be seen from the rooftop.  There wasn’t a cloud in the sky.  The air was chilly for a summer night but there was nothing unusual.  Junichiro wondered if a Shade could really appear on such a beautiful night. 


The two of them sat there in silence.  Noriko seemed to be concentrating on the sky while Junichiro simply didn’t know what to say.  He twiddled his thumbs and sighed heavily hoping Noriko would take notice and start a conversation.  Luckily the quiet was broken by the sound of footsteps approaching them.  Noriko and Junichiro both turned around to notice Mir approaching them.

“Nice to see you Mir,” Noriko greeted.  Junichiro surveyed Mir then looked back to Noriko. 

“Mir hyung?  What are you doing here?” Junichiro questioned.  Mir took a seat beside Junichiro.

“I invited him to protect you when a Shade appears,” Noriko smirked at Junichiro.  Junichiro blushed. 

“I will do my best! Hwaiting!” Mir displayed his confidence to the two while maintaining his cute image. 

“Mir hyung,” Junichiro focused to Mir, “you don’t have any powers do you? “

Mir shook his head.  “I read a lot of manga, so maybe that counts.  Other than that I’m just Mir.”  He grinned and pulled out a copy of Fruits Basket.  “Maybe I can turn you into a cat by hugging you.  You’ll be easy to carry then.”  Junichiro chuckled.  Noriko seemed rather joyed at the two of them conversing.

“I invited Jaejoong along too.  Junsu and Yoochun are out of town and I was hoping Jaejoong would observe any battles to see if he can spot anything odd,” Noriko’s expression changed to concern.  “I’m surprised he’s not here yet.”  She checked her phone and saw there were no missed calls or texts.  She dialed Jaejoong’s number.  No answer. 

“I hope nothing happened,” Junichiro remarked. 

“I hope not either,” Noriko put her focus back on the sky.  After a few minutes, she appeared to spot a disturbance in the atmosphere.  She stood up and pulled a sword hilt out of her pocket.  The hilt was blue and there was no sign of a blade. 

“What will that do?” Junichiro pondered. 

Seeing a figure of something coming closer, Noriko hurried and pulled out her phone and made a call.

“Kyuhyun oppa?” she said into the receiver.

“Yes?”

“This is Noriko.  I spotted a Shade in the woods beside the old theater.  I’ll take care of it.”

“Thank you.  I will inform Kangin and Eunhyuk.  Things have been silent outside the gym but I have a feeling there’s going to be a ton soon.”

“I have that same feeling.  Be careful.”

“You too.”

They hung up.  “Stay here,” Noriko commanded as she leapt into the air. 

“Whoa, you can fly?” Mir remarked.

“No, it’s a bounce step,” she shouted back at she hopped higher and higher in the air.  With every higher step a red spark appeared under her feet.  This was a power that only someone with the demon eyes could obtain.  She held her hilt tight in her right hand as the shadow grew closer.  The shadow had a screeching cry as it flashed right in front of Noriko.  Its body was blacker than black and was in the shape of a free flowing robe.  The creature had a mask-like cover as a face that was controlling the spirit’s evil ways.  The figure had boney claws as hands and could move around quickly, as it was a ghost with a horrible fate.  It was a Shade.

This particular Shade was fairly large, appearing to be about ten feet tall and a width of about 5.  Each Shade had a unique power and it could never be told what it would have in store.  She took her battle stance as she saw the Shade pounce full speed for an attack. 

“RRRRARHHHHHHHHHHRHAAA!!!” it screeched as it threw out its claws to rip through Noriko’s skin.  The Shade was just about to rip her through but then, before anyone could blink, Noriko was behind the Shade!  She had somehow cut the Shade in half!

“What just happened?” Mir and Junichiro’s jaws dropped in unison.  They couldn’t even see a blade.  They applauded for whatever just happened.

“There’s more coming,” Noriko stayed put.  She scanned the sky and saw 3 shadowy figures charging from the moon.  This time, she held her hilt with both hands and something began to happen.  A blade was forming before their very eyes! A liquid started forming and spinning at an accelerated rate on the hilt.  It was vibrating so quickly that steam was rising up from the intense speed.  It sounded almost like a lawnmower as the blade sharpened itself.  The sword was complete! 

“A high speed water blade?!?!” Junichiro was aghast! 

Noriko readied herself for this second attack.  The Shades were slightly smaller in size but seemed even faster than the last.  Their screeches were just as blood curdling and louder as they swung their claws with such force.  Noriko cut off the claws with a swift swing of her sword.  She jumped and dove right for the mask of the first she handicapped and stabbed them squarely in their face.  The Shade disintegrated.  Noriko launched back around to the other she had disarmed and cut it through the middle.  The third Shade snatched her from behind but she broke free and destroyed it just as quickly. 

“Whoa you are awesome!” Junichiro shouted, running to the edge of the roof.

“Stay back!” she yelled.  She seemed to be even more worried than before.  She sensed something even bigger.  Just then, five more Shades appeared!  Noriko increased her power and shot even higher.  She attacked the first before it could even react.  These were the same size as the last but the increasing numbers added to the difficulty.   One attacked her in front while another attacked from the back.  She spun full circle to slash them both in the middle, but another swooped down from above and stopped her swing.  She kicked away the one in front and released the hold.  She stabbed the higher one through the middle and worked on destroying the other two.  While this was happening, the fifth one dove down to attack Mir and Junichiro. 

“Noriko!” Junichiro called out, trying to prepare his own battle stance.  He caught her attention.  She quickly eliminated the ones around her and swan dove for the one attacking them. 

“Hide!” Noriko yelled as she plunged her sword through its back.  It dissolved.  She landed back down on the rooftop. 

“That was close,” Junichiro sighed in relief.  Noriko still didn’t hold a smile.  She listened closely to the sounds of the night still feeling something was there. 

“Another one?” she said to herself.  She spun around again to see there were seven more attacking!  She darted back up to the monstrous creatures.  These ones were bigger than the last five.  “There’s too much power exuding from this place,” she articulated as she hurried to pierce through the first mask.  She was rapid with her attacks and countering every move they made.  After killing two almost instantly, she felt a sudden burst of pain.  These Shades could cast magic!

“Aish!” she knew these would be bothersome.  She obliterated a third and fourth then focused on the last three.  She shot water bolts from her sword to dissolve the fifth.  Now there were only two.  The sixth one kept her on her toes, casting magic projectiles rapidly.  She dodged them with only a little effort but it distracted her from being able to get the last Shade.  The open Shade swooped down for an attack on Junichiro. 

“ARRHRHRRRHRH!” it screeched as it slashed out at Junichiro!  Junichiro suddenly felt as if something was wrong with him.  He felt something inside him begin to take him over and cause a sudden rage.  His eyes were turning to a dark red and a growl hollered from his mouth.  The Shade came close and Junichiro uncontrollably threw himself at it! 

“NO!” Noriko yelled as she flew through the projectiles and drove her blade into the sixth hollow.  “MIR!  HOLD HIM DOWN!” 
Mir ran and wrapped his arms around Junichiro’s waist, throwing him to the ground.  Junichiro fought back and screamed, his insanity was taking him over.  Mir struggled but held him as tight as he could.

“Calm down,” he tried to ease this sudden rage.  Junichiro continued to fight him.  Noriko hurried to keep the Shade away from Junichiro.  Her eyes were blazing as she tore through the Shade’s body.  The Shade was annihilated.  The battle was finally over.  Junichiro was sweating and breathing as if he was panicking, but he was becoming himself again.  Noriko brushed her hair back then went to her friend’s side.  Mir held Junichiro in his arms, shushing him and telling him everything would be okay. 

“Is he alright?” Noriko asked.  Mir nodded.

“What just happened?”  Junichiro faintly spoke. 

“Your inner demon was fighting you.  I never expected it to be so bad.”  Noriko wiped Junichiro’s forehead and could see how much pain he was in. 

“Let’s take him back.”  Noriko patted Mir on the back as she stood up.  Mir helped Junichiro stand and supported his weight.  Mir and Junichiro headed down the stairs into the building while Noriko went and looked over the edge.  She noticed a shadow of someone on the ground. 

“Who is that?” She wondered, suddenly feeling an overwhelming sense of concern.  The person rushed away as soon as they realized she spotted them.  She checked her phone and there still was no sign of Jaejoong.

“Are you coming?” Mir was already downstairs and out of the building with Junichiro.  Noriko shook off her concern and rushed to go with them.  Something wasn’t feeling right.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crazyness right?  Let me know what you think :D.  I'll update soon!