More than Shades?

SM Entertainment: Secret Star Society [Finally off hiatus!]

I know I haven't updated this in forever :(.  Luckily I finally know where I'm going with this and will be updating more!  I hope this was worth the wait :/.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Mmm oppa, of course you can kiss me,” Noriko moaned in her sleep.  hung open with little bits of drool glazing a pool on her pillow.  Her arm was hanging over the side of the bed.  “Mmm keke,” she giggled.  Heechul yawned scratching his nose with his paw waking up to the funny sounds she was making.  His fuzzy tail graced around her leg as he walked up her back.  He gave her a small poke on the cheek.
“Wake up,” he yawned again.  She responded by nestling her head deeper into the pillow. 
“Oppa you have such a gentle touch,” she mumbled. 
“What are you dreaming?”  He laughed, tempting to poke her again.  It was useless.  He looked to his left to see an alarm clock sitting on the nightstand.  The time read half past 7.  Sunlight could be seen gleaming through the window.  It was rather early but Heechul couldn’t bring himself to sleep anymore.  He hopped over to the table and set the alarm.  He snickered as he jumped back over on the bed and took position right in front of Noriko’s face.  “Eh, one more minute of sleep should be fine.”  He watched closely waiting for the numbers to change.  As the seconds counted down, he joined in.  “3…2…”

“RING RING RING!”

“Huh?”  Noriko awoke in a confused state.  Without looking her hand automatically reached for the Snooze button.  Disappointed by her lack of reaction, Heechul poked her cheek again.  This time she felt it.  She turned her head as he leaned in close.
“Good morning!”  He yelled.
“WAH!”  She nearly fell off, startled by him.  She rubbed her eyes and pulled herself up on the bed then sat against her wall of pillows.  Heechul crawled on her lap.  She yawned loudly and stretched out her arms.  “Good morning,” she reluctantly muttered checking the time on the clock.  “Ugh, too early.” 
“The sun is already up.”  He casually made his way to the blinds trying to open them but failing due to lack of thumbs.  He sighed.  “I guess I’ll just go take a shower.”  He quickly walked towards the bathroom. 
“I thought cats hated water,” she shouted to him. She could hear a tiny poof followed by the sound of running water and steam being released through the cracked open door.  A hand reached opening the door further.
“They do,” he smirked, fully back in human form.
“Eek!”  She squeaked covering her eyes.  “Stop doing that!”  He chuckled then shut the door.

She slid back down under the sheets resting her head against the pillow.  Her eyes were staring straight up at the ceiling as she was trying to steady her mind.  She was far from a morning person but had to accept the reality.  It was then she started to realize something was odd; she never remembered coming back. 
“Heechul?”  She called.  She could hear the running water clearly and hoped he would hear her as well.
“Yes?”  He responded while washing himself.
“How did I get here?” 
“You mean to the room?”
“Yeah.”
“I carried you.  You were out like a light when we finished.” 
“Oh yeah…” she reflected.  The reconstruction of the barrier only took a day but it took that entire day.  She knew they were working until it was getting dark and at some point her eyelids beginning to become heavy.  She remembered hearing whispers as to whom would take care of her but she wasn’t sure if it was a dream.  She suddenly noticed however something else was odd.  She felt bad interrupting his shower with more interrogating questions.  Luckily he wanted to strike up his own conversation. 

“So…” she could hear a funny tone in his voice.  “Who were you dreaming about?”
“What?”  She scratched her head.
“You were talking in your sleep.  Saying things like ‘oh oppa, kiss me!’”  His deep voice switched to a mocking female one.  Noriko’s face turned flush red. 
“Oh I erm…” she stuttered. 
“What, cat got your tongue?”  He teased.
“I don’t remember it!” She lied.  She smiled happy Heechul couldn’t see her face.  At that thought she reached down to her side and searched for her phone, curious if he had left another call.  She wasn’t in the jeans she was wearing yesterday.  “Uh…did you change me?”
“Don’t worry I didn’t look.”  She noticed the pajama pants she was wearing were on inside out.
“Obviously,” she teased.  She found her jeans sprawled across the back of a chair.  As she reached she decided to ask the question that had been bothering her.  “Did Suho ever come back?” 
“No, I haven’t seen him.  They were still fixing a few things when I brought you back.” 
“I wonder where he could be.”  She her phone curious about him now too.  As she looked through her missed calls she noticed there was nothing from him, but about ten from a number she didn’t have saved in her phone.  She checked and realized it was Joon.  “Maybe I should really call him back,” she thought.  She took a breath and circled around her call button.  She had no idea why he was calling her in the first place and wasn’t sure what she would say back.  Just as she was about to push the button she heard the water shut off.  Too embarrassed she chucked her phone across the bed and hid her face in the pillow.  She could hear Heechul drying his hair with a towel as he walked in the room. 
“You feel like going to breakfast?” He asked.  She rolled herself onto her back. 
“I suppose that would be nice.”  She finally decided to get out of bed.  She grabbed her clothes that were sprawled all over the chair then headed into the bathroom.  “Just let me shower.” 
“Okay.”  As she shut the door behind her, she could hear a loud banging on the hotel room door.

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

“Heechul, you in there!?”  She could hear a high pitched raging voice from that side of the door.  She threw her clothes to the ground and ran out to see Heechul just staring at the pounding. 

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

“Open up or I’ll break this door down!”  They stood there looking at eachother.  At the sound of a third set of knocks, Noriko pushed him out of the way and answered. 
“A-Plus?”  She could almost see smoke coming from her ears as she seemed to be boiling inside.  She looked a mess, breathing heavily in frustration.
“Where’s Heechul!?”  She yelled, quickly apologizing for her burst of anger.  She was covered his scars.  Noriko quietly pointed her thumb behind her.  A-Plus nudged past nearly tackling Heechul to the ground. 
“I could kill you!”  She wildly threw her fists at him.  Noriko jumped behind her trying to pull her away.  She got a grip then both of them fell on the floor.
“Calm down!”  She exclaimed as Heechul slowly backed away.  She gave up her efforts just sitting on the ground.  Noriko tried to talk to her gently.  “Now what happened?” 
“I went through a mess become he never came back.”  She was quick to point the blame to him.  He backed behind the bed and popped back into cat form then crawled hiding his face under a blanket. 
“Wait, I thought he was supposed to stay with-“
“I don’t know what he told you but I had to take over his job last night since he didn’t show.  If Rain oppa hadn’t checked on me this morning I’d still be tied up!” 
“Tied up?”  Heechul decided to come out of hiding and joined them on the floor.  A-Plus crossed her arms and huffed, clearly still angry.  She sighed and started again. 
“There was a sudden attack in middle of the night.” 
“Sudden attack?  Shades?” 
“No, they were something else.  They were definitely people.  I have no idea how they got in.”
“Wait,” Noriko stopped her.  “Where’s Suho?”  A-Plus fell silent for a minute seeing the concern in Noriko’s eyes.  She glanced over at Heechul again still perturbed but relaxed a little more. 
“Rain is with him right now.  I’ll take you there.  I’ll explain when we get there.”    
“Okay.”

**

The three were quick to arrive at the room where Noriko had stayed her first night.  She walked in to see her companion lying on the bed she was once in.  Rain was sitting beside him and glanced up as the three entered.
“How is he doing?”  A-Plus was quick to ask.  Rain observed Suho checking his vital signs.  He removed a blanket to reveal Suho’s torso was wrapped with gauze.  Bandages could be seen covering a wound on his side.  After a thorough review there was a slight smile on Rain’s face. 
“He’ll be okay.” Everyone seemed to sigh in relief.  Noriko approached her friend and leaned over him, listening for a steady breath.  She held his hand and could see his eyes slowly opening.  He squinted in pain as he whispered, “Noona?”  She nodded, brushing back his bangs. 
“I’m here.”  He smiled, letting out a little cough.  “Are you okay?” 
“Yeah,” he breathily said.  He tempted to pull himself upright and was assisted by Noriko and Rain. 
“You got into a bit of a mess,” Rain commented.  “Don’t overstrain yourself.” 
“Okay, hyung.”  His smile was sincere.  “Thanks.”  Heechul, feeling guilty about the situation jumped to Suho’s bed.    
“I’m sorry,” he mumbled, staring at the window.  Suho started petting him. 
“It wasn’t your fault.” 
“Psh,” A-Plus let out, leaning against the wall.  “Yes it is,” she mumbled. 

“So, what happened to you?”  Noriko asked. 

“Well…”

 

*Flashback* - Night Before

“Zzzz…”
“Wow, she must be tired,” Heechul remarked noticing Noriko nearly just drop to the ground in a dead sleep.  Their side of the barrier was done after a long day of work.  The sun had gone down several hours ago and all of them were worn out.  He tapped against the frozen secluded barrier catching A-Plus’s attention from the other side. 
“What’s up?”  She replied checking the barrier for weaknesses.  Suho stood behind her still trying to hold a spell.  Rain had left a bit earlier due to a sudden engagement but the wall only needed a few final touches. 
“She’s sleeping.”  Heechul nudged his head in the direction of the woman sprawled across the ground and snoring.  A-Plus grinned. 
“Makes sense.  Her body has been through a lot recently.”  She pulled out an arrow and stood back, shooting one in the center.  “Good thing there’s only a little left.” 
“Actually we’re done over here.”  He stuck out his tongue trying to make fun out of a long day.  He made his finishing check at the restored area. 
“That’s cool.  We have maybe another hour.” 
“Another hour?  Ugh,” Suho whined. 
“We can’t let her just sleep here another hour.  I can take her to the hotel,” Heechul offered. 
“I know she should probably go back but Suho can take her when we finish.  You have guard duty tonight anyways.” 
Heechul rolled his eyes at the thought.  He hated that job.  Just the thought of being stuck in one location for an entire night without even being allowed to have a cat nap just bothered him.  He wasn’t even able to have his computer with him to play games.  He really wanted a way out. 
“I’ll be back right after I drop her off,” he said with a smile on his face.  “You two should just finish up,” he tried to convince.  She observed his expression being a bit skeptical. 
“You promise?”  She sternly said. 
“I promise.”  He kept a hand behind his back keeping his fingers crossed.  She sighed.
“Fine.  But you better be back.  I had to cover for you last time.” 
“Okay!”  He lifted Noriko on his back trying to hide his sneaking laughter from A-Plus.  As soon as he kept her steady he waved.  “See you in a bit, A.”  He quickly left. 

*

“Finally…” Suho said in relief.  He was thrilled it didn’t take a whole other hour to finish as he plopped down.  A-Plus removed the restrains and unconcealed the area that had been working on all day.  Once complete she sat down beside Suho and looked out into the night sky. 
“I hope this solves the problem.”
“I’m sure it will.”  The two of them were enjoying the well-deserved break until A-Plus pulled out her phone curious of the time.  She grunted. 
“Heechul…” she growled, noticing his shift was about to start in five minutes.  She dialed his number quickly hoping he would pick up.  Of course her luck she only heard the automated tone of his voicemail.  She hung up and stood from her seat. 
“Is something wrong?”  Suho yawned. 
“Heechul is skipping out on guard duty it seems.  I have no choice but take his place.  You should get home,” she remarked.  He could tell she was a bit disappointed and wanted to be of some help. 
“Can I do anything?” He kindly asked.  She grinned at his concern. 
“Feel like sticking around with me for a while?  You don’t need to do anything just keep me some company.” 
“Well I might fall asleep…”
“That’s fine.  I just hate being stuck there alone.” 
“Well, if you don’t mind that, sure I can.” 

She helped him up and they made their way to the post.  The post was located near the other end of the base.  It was a small room that simply overlooked a large area.  There were radars that helped tracked Shade activity as well as a radio if anyone needed help.  It was just another source of protecting the base. 

The person working the previous shift sat in the chair barely able to keep their balance.  His eyes opened wide thrilled to see someone taking his place.  “Oh good!”  He happily said hopping from his chair and grabbing his gear.  The worker quickly made an exit.  A-Plus took over the chair while Suho took a spot in the corner.  A-Plus scanned the radars then leaned back in her seat. 
“It should be a quiet night now that the barrier is fixed,” Suho remarked. 
“I hope that’s the case.”  She could feel herself wanting to dose off.  As her eyes began to shut she popped awake and had a moment of frustration.  She’d mutter Heechul’s name again.  “I wouldn’t have to do this if you were here,” she said shaking her fist to the air.  She had to do something to occupy herself.  “So Suho…” she turned her chair to face him.  His eyes were closed shut as his head rested against the wall.  He was fast asleep.  She chuckled at him being curled up in the corner sleeping as well as a child.  She watched him for a few moments.

*Beep beep*

The scanner pulled her attention back making a strange noise.  She checked the alert to see a small group of Shades appear on the screen.  She grabbed her bow and arrow that were down by her side and readied herself.  She glanced over at Suho debating on what she should do.  “Eh, this won’t take long,” she thought.  She let him sleep and headed out for the attack. 

*Beep beep* *Beep beep*

The scanner kept going off, this time waking Suho.  He noticed A-Plus wasn’t sitting in the chair anymore.  He called out the door.  “A?”  No response.  Unsure what to do he glanced at the scanner.  He saw a group of dots surrounding the middle.  He pushed buttons annoyed by the blaring sounds that seemed to get louder by the second.  Finally he managed to make it stop.  He stepped out the door this time, shouting for her even louder.  “A?”  He called again, still hearing nothing.  He didn’t know what to do.  He walked back in and sat down in her chair hoping she would soon return.  At the sound of the door opening he swung around. 
“Oh good you’re bac-“

*BAM*

He was bashed over the head!  His vision blurred as the pain went rushing through his body.  He could only see the outline of a figure in front of him.  He reached for his back pocket hoping to find one of his guns.  The figure caught him, twisting his arm back; he screamed. 
“Keep him quiet!” A voice spoke, but it wasn’t the one of the person restraining him.  He heard the sound from a few feet away soon feeling his mouth being taped shut.  He tried to kick but the headache made him too weak to fight back.  He could feel this second figure tie his hands behind the chair. 
“Mmm,” he mumbled, afraid of what was happening.  He shivered as the first figure leaned down in his face seemingly studying him.  As Suho’s vision crept back he noticed this figure was wearing all black, even covering his face only showing his dark eyes. 
“You sure this is Heechul?”  The male voiced remarked to the other, pulling away from Suho. 
“Hyung said he’d be here,” the other responded.  Suho violently shook his head. 
“I think we might have the wrong guy.” 
“Do you think he’d lie?”  The guy smacked the other in the arm.
“No…” the other mumbled. 
“Then just do the plan!” 
“But I-“
“You’re useless.”  The man from the back of Suho whipped in front of him pulling out a blade.  Suho yelled behind the tape doing everything he could to break free.  The man started to chuckle with an evil intention.  “It’s nice to see you suffer,” he remarked, bringing the blade close.  He slowly dragged the blade along Suho’s chest.  “Don’t worry, I won’t kill you,” he teased, the edge of the blade poking Suho’s side.  “I just want to teach SM a little lesson.”  Suho’s eyes widened as the blade cut through his skin.  He screamed behind the tape as the two men laughed above him.  He couldn’t watch and closed his eyes hoping everything would go away. 

*WOOSH!*

Out of nowhere an arrow came launching into the room!  The arrow broke the middle of the radar! 
“WHAT!?”  The one man shouted, startled by the attack.  In an instant an arrow shot him right in the back.  “AHHH!”  He screamed.  The other man was caught off guard and Suho shifted back.  He tried again to shake loose, failing again. 
“Where did that come from!?”  The injured man collapsed to the floor as another arrow flew in the room.  Before he could react A-Plus was standing over him! 
“Don’t…move,” she threatened.  She caught the other man trying to escape out of the corner of her eye and tripped him.  “Who are you?!”  She demanded, watching the injured man beg for his life. 
“Please let us go!”  He cried. 
“Did you not hear me?  WHO ARE YOU!?”  She repeated, holding her loaded arrow right to the man’s face.  Little did she know the tripped man was slowly plotting against her.  He slowly moved his hand to his pocket pulling out another rope, silently out of her attention.  As she tightened the arrow on the bow, he attacked.

*THRASH!*

He stabbed her in the leg!  The arrow got loose bouncing off the ceiling and nearly going through her.  The man climbed on top of her restraining with the extra rope as the injured man crawled his way over.  With a few punches, he knocked her out.  Both men were breathing heavily as Suho stared at them, too scared to move.  The men stood up and started to walk away until the uninjured one heard Suho’s heavy breathing. 
“You’re lucky,” he said, then kicked Suho unconscious. 

They disappeared.

*End Flashback*

“That’s insane…” Noriko was at a loss. 

“I should’ve torn off a mask,” A-Plus remarked. 
“So…they were looking for me?”  Heechul spoke up after remaining quiet.  He kept his eyes down on the bed. 
“That’s what the man said,” Suho said, resting his head. 
“But why would someone go after me?  I don’t think I’ve done anything.” 
“Well,” Rain leaned forward, questioning Suho.  “You said they mentioned SM correct?”  Suho simply nodded.  “Maybe there’s more to this.” 
“But why would they go after Heechul?”  A-Plus asked.  “He’s not even currently a part of SM technically.” 
“But…” Noriko paced the room trying to think.  “SM is huge.  If there were only two of them and they tried to attack there they’d be caught instantly.  Heechul is still associated with SM so maybe it’s a diversion.” 
“How would that-“
“Actually,” A-Plus replied.  “You two were sent here because of increased Shade attacks correct?”  Suho and Noriko nodded.  “There was something really odd about that break in the barrier.  I was thinking it over after being stuck there tied up all night.”  She shot a glare at Heechul.  “I don’t think a Shade could have broken that barrier that way.  But we don’t know who they are and why they’re doing this.” 
“Wait I…” Heechul spoke again.  “I know SM has made a few enemies.  I’m not sure who they are but Leeteuk might have some idea.  He’s been with the company longer than I have.  If I could just go talk to him.” 
“Are you kidding?  You can’t just leave-“

“No,” Rain said.  “You should go and find out what you can.  It can’t be safe for you here.  I know Noriko only came here for the Shade problem and now that it’s fixed you should go back with her.  I can keep an eye on Suho and talk to the troop to raise our defenses for now.  It might be for the best.” 

“You sure it’s alright?”
“It’s what we have to do.” 

The group fell silent.

-----------------------------------------

New enemies?  Please leave comments :D