Waking the Demon

SM Entertainment: Secret Star Society [Finally off hiatus!]

For the ease of reading, there's a rather lengthy flashback in this chapter but I changed the text color for that section.  This chapter took some thinking to get done, I hope you enjoy :)

Also, for your enjoyment, chapter music!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Trumpet] ‘Da na na na na na  naaaaaaa~~~’

“Naega saranghan S.P.Y.

 Geunyeoreul jjocha day and night

 Japhil deut japhiji anha

 Geurimjacheoreom butjiman

 Naega saranghan S.P.Y.

 Geunyeoreul jjocha day and night

 Sumi teok kkeutkkaji cha wa

 Geunyeoreul gyeonun geu sungan”

[Trumpet] ‘Da na na naaaaaa na!’

“I got you little runaway”

“CUT CUT CUT!” The director shouted, waving off the entire dance sequence.  There was a collective sigh from the Super Junior members.  “Take a 5 minute break. We’ll start from the top.”  Leeteuk took a big breath and headed to his water bottle sitting on a bench off set.  Everyone was worn out from two straight nights of Shade attacks.  Most groups would get a day off on a Sunday but because of training and meetings they weren’t so lucky.  Leeteuk was going crazy having to lead his group in both performance and Shade battles along with everything else in the back of his mind.  His health was beginning to take a backseat but he tried to appear at his best in front of his dongsaengs. 

“Hey, where’s Siwon?”  Sungmin approached Leeteuk, taking a drink of his own water bottle. 
“He filmed all his scenes earlier.  He said he had some squad business he had to take care of.”
“Squad business?” He looked concerned.  “It must be serious.”
“Well, you know Siwon.  He’s very protective.  If anyone is in danger he won’t hold back.”
“Ah, it’s just horrible timing.  He’s off doing that, Donghae just returned from filming his drama and everyone else is dead tired.  We’re falling apart, hyung.”
“So you’ve noticed too?  I’m worried about Kangin.  He’s still getting back into this cycle.”
“Ryeowook has been drifting in and out of sleep all day.  He’s been so busy trying to heal everyone’s wounds and hasn’t been taking care of himself.”

“Hey hyung,” Eunhyuk ran over and joined the conversation.  “What should we do about the empty spot?”
“Isn’t the choreographer around?” Leeteuk asked.
“He had the day off.”
“Of course he did.  Well, I’ll let you decide about the change.  I trust your judgment.”
“Okay, I’ll map it out.  Tell the director to hold off a little longer.”  He walked off. 
“Sungmin.”
“Yes?” 
“Go see if Ryeowook needs anything.  While you’re at it check on Kyuhyun too.  I always worry about his health.”
“Okay hyung, will do.  You look wore out too.  Don’t push too hard either.”
“I won’t.”  Sungmin headed off.  “I hope Siwon is doing alright,” he thought to himself.

***

*CONK!*

“Ouch!” Noriko bumped her head on the floor.  She tried to move but her hands were tied behind her back.  “What?”
“Oh I’m so sorry!”  Suho ran to her aid.  He helped her back onto the bed and untied her.  She rubbed her sore wrists.  Noriko was completely thrown off.
“Wait, wasn’t I…” she was back in the hotel room where she met with Chanyeol, Kai and Suho. 
“I can explain everything.”  Suho took a seat beside her.  “Do you need anything to eat?”
“I,” her stomach rumbled, “I probably should.”
“Let me make you something.  Hyung, can you check on her?”  He waved over a man standing in the corner.
“Seonbaenim?” Noriko squinted trying to focus her eyes on the person.
“I’m so happy to see you conscious.  I can’t lose my 2nd seat.”  Siwon’s friendly smile calmed her.  He gave her a quick hug then checked her forehead for her temperature.  His eyes showed concern.
“When did you…why was I…” she couldn’t decide what to ask first.  She suddenly got dizzy.
“Lay back down, you’re still not well.  I had to exorcise a good amount out of you.”  She rested her head against the pillow.
“I was over taken?”
“About 75% of your body was consumed by demon.  Rightfully anyone else would have completely lost their sanity.”
“Siwon, I-“
“Don’t worry, I know you’re a half breed.  I won’t report it.  Even so an increase of 25% is a huge concern.”
“You’re a half breed?” Suho asked from the stove.
“Yeah, my father was a demon.”
“No way!  But.. aren’t we supposed to ban anyone whose body is over half consumed by a demon?”
“Well yes,” Siwon explained, “but she’s a special case.  If anyone else were to find out it wouldn’t end well but luckily I’m the only one that evaluates possession.”
“Why is it a huge deal anyways?”
“If over half of your body is possessed then most people lose complete control of themselves. Your demon forces not only attract Shades but you become a threat to the society.  In most cases we’d have to do a full exorcism or kill them.  Since she was born with it and she’s trained for a long time she can control it.”
“So,” Noriko spoke, “how much damage did I cause?” 
“Luckily not much,” Heechul in cat form hopped up on the bed.  Noriko jumped.
“Wah! Stop doing that! I didn’t even know you were here!”
“How else could you have gotten here?” Heechul teased. 
“Wait.  You called Siwon?”
“Not completely true.”
“What happened then?”
“Well….”

*Flashback* - Saturday Night (the night before)

*BEEP BEEP BEEEEPPPP!*

“Rain!”  A-Plus ran down the hall signaling her superior.
“Yeah, what’s up?”
“The Shade scanner is going crazy.  I think we need to go check it out.”
“Get Heechul then grab your bow and let’s go.”
“Wait, what do we do about Noriko?  We can’t just leave her here unattended.”
Rain thought for a moment.  “Is she asleep again?”
“Yes.”
“We probably shouldn’t wake her.  Maybe Heechul and I should just go.  You okay with staying behind?”
“Yeah, I GUESS I could miss the action,” she sighed.
“Thanks, A,” he patted her head.  She kicked him in the leg. 
“Hey! I’m not a puppy, don’t pet me.” 
“Heh you’re so cute,” he laughed.  She turned red.
“Shut up.  Just be careful out there alright?”
“I leave things here to you.”  They went their separate ways.

**

“Ugh, where is Noriko?” Suho paced around on a rooftop killing the occasional Shade that appeared. 
“You know she can take care herself,” Kai commented.  “I’m sure she’s fine wherever she is.”
“Why would she just disappear though?”
“She probably had her reasons.  She did text you earlier, right?”
“Yeah…but I still can’t help but be worried.  I haven’t heard from her since.” 
“Oh look, another Shade.”

“RAWWARRRRRR!”

*FFSSSHHHHHHH* Suho used his water attack.  The Shade dissolved.
“Another one down.”
“Heh, I didn’t even need to lift a finger,” Kai smirked.  “Maybe I should go check on Chanyeol.”
“Go ahead.  I’ll be fine for a little bit.”
“Cool.”  Kai poofed away. 

Just then, a group of 10 Shades appeared.  “Fantastic.”  He whipped a set of hand guns out of the holsters on his belt.  He locked and loaded.  “Let’s do this.” 

“RAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!” They all screamed.  He slung the guns flipping them around in the air and catching them in his hands.  He aimed at the group of beasts and pulled the triggers. 
*FSH FSH FSH FSH FSH!* The water bullets shot across the sky and pierced the Shade masks.  One by one he knocked them down!  Ten more appeared, larger than before.
“Figures, when Kai leaves they all come out.”  He reloaded, aimed and fired.  These ones seemed to move around a big faster but he never missed.  Suddenly he could hear a scream in back of him.
*BAM!* He snapped around and smacked the Shade right in the mask with the grip.  He felt one swoop underneath him and grab his leg; he shook it off and shot it blank range. Shades kept appearing.  “If only Noriko were here…” He reloaded again ready for the next set.  This time, they were coming from all directions.  “Aish where do I shoot first??”  He aimed his guns to the side hoping to hit his targets; for once he missed.  He tried again.  The Shade in front of him approached closer.
“AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!” It shrieked, throwing him off guard.  He jumped back trying to aim but there wasn’t enough time.  He took a breath and rolled away from its attack!  Suho prepared himself for a second attack.  He got his guns ready, aimed and…
*CHOOM!*
“What is that?” Suho squinted.  A ninja star was sticking out of the Shade’s mask!  It wailed and vanished.  Suho could suddenly hear ninja stars flying all around him destroying every Shade in sight!  He ducked trying to turn around and see where they were coming from.  Rain was there to save the day. 
“You okay, kid?” He asked.  He walked over to Suho helping him up and dusting him off.
“Yes, thanks.”  Suho scanned him over knowing who it was but completely unsure of anything else.  Another set of Shades attacked.
“These are a pain, aren’t they…” Rain readied his stars sharpening them against his blade sharpener on his pants.  They teamed up, standing back to back and mowing down every Shade with ease.  They finally got a break to sit down and chat.
“These things are relentless,” Suho commented.
“You could say that again.  Have you been stuck by yourself?”
“Well, not completely but someone important to me disappeared.  I’m worried about them.”
“You can’t find someone?  May I ask who it is?”
“My noona, Noriko.”
“Oh, wait…Noriko?”
Suho lit up.  “Do you know where she is?”
“I…I have a bit of an idea.” 

“Hhheeeyy!” Heechul leaped over the rooftops to meet up with Rain.  He plopped down beside the two.
“Heechul hyung??” Suho was surprised.
“Oh hey, you’re that kid in Exo aren’t you?”  Heechul flicked Suho’s head with a smirk on his face.  He liked teasing around.
“I’m Suho, nice to meet you.”  He fixed his hair and lightly bowed. 
“You must be here for the Protection Squads right?” 
“Yeah, that’s right.  Wait…do you know where Noriko is?  You do know her, right?”
“Oh yeah, she’s back at the army base.  She’s sleeping right now.”
“Is she alright?”
“She’ll recover.  You must want her back I’m assuming.”
“I told her I’d protect but I failed.” Suho looked down.  “I just want her back and in one piece.”
“Well, I can bring her back to you.  Just tell me where we can meet.  It needs to be somewhere safe.”
“Really?  You’ll bring her back?  Well, we can meet at my hotel room.  I’ll give you the address.”
“Sounds good.  Rain, you alright if I go back and get her?”
“Yeah.  These Shades have all been small fry.  I’d get too bored if you stick around anyways.”
“I’ll see you in about an hour, Suho.”

**

*Knock knock*

“A, can I come in?”  Heechul asked.
“Hurry up and shut the door.”  Something didn’t sound right in her tone of voice.  Heechul did so.  Across the room he could see Noriko flailing around in her sleep.  She was unconsciously kicking and throwing punches in every which direction.
“What’s going on?”
“I think the Shades are affecting her.  Her wounds are reacting to the Shade attacks.”
“Demon pressure…can we wake her up?”
“I haven’t been able.  I tried to shake her but she’s been fighting me.  Her eyes are glowing red, she’s not even in her mind.”
“We need to restrain her.”
“That’s what I thought.  Can you hold her down?”

Heechul ran to A’s side pinning Noriko’s arms down.  She kicked him right in the stomach and got loose.  “Sheesh, she’s powerful.”  He attempted to tackle her while A ran and got her bow.  Heechul was overtaken Noriko’s power.  “Ready with that arrow?”
“Yeah.” 
Heechul tried again, this time managing to twist her arms behind her back.  Her demonic voice wailed as she tried to escape. 
“Binding arrow!”  A-Plus summoned an arrow with her hands and placed it in the bow.  “Ready. Aim. Fire!” She shot it right to Noriko’s heart.  “Bullseye!”  Noriko quickly dropped to the ground passing out on the floor.  Heechul lifted her up on his back.
“I’m taking her.  I found her squad.”
“Let me go with you and guard.”

They rushed out of the base and onto the dark streets.  Shades were surrounding the area.  A-Plus readied some bows consisting of fire and ice to shoot right through the creatures.  Time seemed to stop as Heechul and A-Plus got a look at the gang of Shades.  They were in deep trouble. 
“I’ll shoot.  Run when you get the chance.”  Heechul nodded.  “Let’s go!”  A-Plus launched her attacks all around her while running alongside Heechul, killing anything before it even got close. 
“You okay?” She shouted to him above the shrieking Shades.
“Let’s just keep going.”  Noriko was slowly starting to move around again beyond her control.  Even with the binding she could still manage to kick at Heechul’s back.  A Shade swooped down attempting to claw through Noriko.
*KICK! SLASH!* 
A-Plus grabbed one of her arrows and stabbed it right into the Shade’s head.  “Gotcha!”  Luckily the distance wasn’t much further.  They could see the hotel only about 50 feet away.  Heechul made a dash leaving A-Plus to deal with the monsters. 
“C’mon!” He shouted, turning to see A-Plus dominating.  Once there was a break in the action she ran to his side.  They headed in and up the elevator to the given room number.  Suho was quick to answer.

“Noona?  Are you okay?” He was panicked seeing her flail around with no control.
“”Hurry up, clear the bed,” Heechul demanded.  He threw off the pile of clothes across the room and dusted off crumbs.  Heechul quickly threw her down. 

“AHHHH!” She screamed, reaching for Suho.
“Do you have a belt or anything?” Heechul asked.
“Uh, yeah,” Suho took his off and handed it over. 
“A,”
She simply nodded her head.  She stood over Noriko, took a breath and formed a fist with her hand.  “I’m sorry for this.  I consider you a new friend.”  She slammed her fist right against Noriko’s cheek knocking her out.  Heechul twisted her arms around and tied her. 
“What’s going on?!” Suho’s eyes widened.
“Don’t worry, I’ll stick around.  Who is your captain by the way?”
“Um.. Siwon hyung..”
“Siwon?  Perfect.  Give him a call.  We’ll need him once her demon phases end.” 
“Oh… okay.”
“A, go join Rain.  I can’t leave her until tomorrow most likely.”
“I’ll see you at base later.”

*End of Flashback*

***

“So that’s what happened,” Noriko sighed.  “Sorry to be of so much trouble to everyone.”
“You being okay is all that matters,” Siwon reassured her. 
“How has the Shade rate been in Seoul?”
“There’s been a vast increase.  Every single captain is on call.  You shouldn’t need to worry-“
“Wait!”  Noriko’s thoughts flashed before her.  “What day is it?”
“Sunday.”
She hit a horrid realization.  “If my inner demon affected me that much and it’s getting worse up there…. Siwon, you need to get back to Seoul asap!”
“Why? You’re my first-“
“The society might end if you don’t get back in time for tomorrow’s advanced training.  I’m not the only half demon around there.”
“You mean…”
“There’s a trainee that has no control over their power.” 
“Suho, take care of her.” 

Siwon grabbed his gear and left.

----------------------------------------

Training section two starts up next chapter!