After Dark: The Shades are Increasing!

SM Entertainment: Secret Star Society [Finally off hiatus!]

Just a note, this chapter takes place IMMEDIATELY after the end of Chapter 9.  It's only important because it's the same night.  Anyways, enjoy please.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Finally,” Jaejoong sighed in relief as Junsu came rushing through Noriko’s front door.
“Sorry.  My flight got delayed and I couldn’t find my car at the airport so I took a taxi but some stupid saesaeng taxi ran us off the road.  It was just a total mess.  Ended up back at the airport and finally found my car, now I’m here.”
“I’m so glad to see you,” Jaejoong reached his arms out for a hug from the bed.  Still healing from the attack, he spent most of the evening after Noriko left just relaxing.  Junsu hugged him back. 
“Do you need anything before we leave?” 
“Maybe some help up.” 
“Okay, let’s head out.  I’m really tired.”  Junsu stood beside the bed as Jaejoong swung his feet over the edge.  He softly moaned due to his aches and pains as he positioned himself on the edge.  Junsu grabbed around his waist and practically picked him up then helped him balance on the floor.  Jaejoong threw an arm over Junsu’s shoulder and started limping. 
“You’re really a mess, aren’t you,” Junsu commented, overlooking his friend.  Jaejoong smirked at the remark.  Junsu kept an arm behind Jaejoong as they headed towards the door.  Junsu flipped off the lights in each room as they exited the apartment.  As they reached the street Jaejoong glanced up at the sky.  It was just after midnight and the night was at its darkest.  There was a slight chill in the breeze blowing along the empty streets.  The only sounds were crickets singing.
Junsu let go of Jaejoong to grab ahold of the car door.  He stood there and closed his eyes still trying to fight the pain.  He stretched his arms up, took a deep breath then brought them to his side. 
“Get in,” Junsu motioned him.  Jaejoong reached for the car door.
“Thanks for th-“ Jaejoong suddenly stopped talking.  His friendly smile instantly turned into a look of terror. 
“What’s wrong?” Junsu rushed over.
“I-“ Jaejoong clutched his chest and breathed heavily.  His iris flickered from a depp black to a blazing red rapidly.  “I feel it.”  His voice deepened, sounding almost to have a second tone to it; a demonic tone.  Junsu could feel his own insanity drifting.  His vision turned blurry as a fierce pain shot through his spine. 
“Get in the car now!” Junsu shoved Jaejoong in.  There wasn’t much time!  Junsu ran around and threw himself in as fast as he could, slamming the door shut.  He hurriedly jammed the key in the ignition and slammed on the gas.  “Snap out of it!” Junsu panicked, shouting at Jaejoong struggling in the passenger’s seat.  He twitched around biting his lip hard dealing with the immense feelings eating him alive. 
“Shades!  They’re coming!  Too many of them!” Jaejoong burst out in his two toned voice. 
“I know!” Junsu drove furiously. 
“We need to get home!  Now!”
“I’m doing all I can!” 
“My demon is taking over!  HURRY!”
“Hang on a little longer Jaejoong!  We’re almost there!”  Jaejoong drifted around a corner completely surpassing a red light.  It didn’t even matter anymore.  He had to get them to safety! 
“I CAN’T FIGHT THIS ANYMORE!” Jaejoong pounded his fist against the window.  He felt like he was suffocating.
HOLD ON!”  Junsu sped at his top speed. 
“THIS IS IT!” Jaejoong screamed, his head jerking from side to side; his eyes completely engulfed in a fire blaze. 
“NO!” Junsu spotted his home and slammed on the brakes, throwing Jaejoong against the dash, knocking him out instantly.  “Jaejoong?”  Junsu checked his friend.  He wasn’t moving.  He undid his seatbelt and kicked out his car door.  He grabbed Jaejoong’s arms and in a panic, pulled him out of the car.  He picked him up and carried him into the house.  He got Jaejoong into a bed and he plopped down beside him.  “SM, I hope you can handle tonight,” he remarked out loud to himself.  He held Jaejoong close to him and rested.

***

“Really?!?!?” Kyuhyun whined reaching into his laptop bag.  “Aish, of course.”  He checked all of the bag pockets for a laptop battery that wasn’t there. 
“What’s wrong Kyu?” Eunhyuk rolled his eyes slightly already aware of the problem.  He stood in the open, pacing and keeping an eye on the sky.  It was yet another night the three were stuck on duty watching for Shades.  Kangin was asleep against the wall. 
“I forgot to pack an extra battery.  This one is about dead.”    
“We’re outside on patrol.  Do you really need to be on your computer?”  Eunhyuk kept a hand gripped on his hilt. 
“I haven’t had any time to play StarCraft all week!  I’ll die if I don’t get to play.  Plus the wifi is great here.” 
“You’ll be fine.  I’ve been missing out on my needs all week.”
“Your needs?”  Kyuhyun smirked.  “You mean your eh… do you need to borrow my computer?”
“No!” Eunhyuk shooed him off.  “I…I can do without…I think.”
Kyuhyun got up and walked over to Eunhyuk; his smile full of sin.  “Hyung, you know I love you right?”
“What do you want?”
“Can I go back to the dorm and get my backup battery?  Please?”
“And leave me here with sleeping beauty over there?”  Eunhyuk glanced over at his hyung against the wall.
“If you let me I’ll let you borrow my laptop for a while.  You can use it for whatever you want.”
“Are you serious?”  Eunhyuk’s eyes lit up. 
“I knew you would understand.”  Kyuhyun evilly laughed at his hyung manipulation.
“Alright, go ahead but get back here quick.  Go take a walk.”
“Thanks hyung!” Kyuhyun kissed him on the cheek and skipped away.  The Super Junior dorm was about 10 blocks away from the headquarters. 

“It really is nice out,” Kyuhyun remarked to the air.  He looked down the street ahead of him and sighed.  “I should’ve driven today.”  It wasn’t a ridiculously long distance but Kyuhyun wasn’t having it.  “I can take a shortcut through the park,” he thought.  He headed in that direction.  He checked around for any wandering fans but the streets were rather empty. 

The park was only lit with a few streetlights.  Even at night the flowers looked beautiful and he could hear the sounds of small animals around him.  In the distance he could hear a few dogs barking from nearby homes.  With each step he took a glance around him.  He increased his walking speed a bit, remembering the reason he left in the first place.  As he walked faster he noticed there was a sound that wasn’t there before; someone was talking.  Out of curiosity he headed towards the voice. 

“You’re so romantic!” The voice sounded extremely feminine and familiar. 
“Anything for you, babe.”  He could hear a second voice responding; this one was male. 
“I feel so naughty being alone in the park with you.”
“Well if I took you home all the hyungs would just be annoying us.  And of course, don’t let me even get started on Mir.”
“Aish he needs to learn to behave himself.”
“I don’t think there’s any controlling that.”

“Who could that be?” Kyuhyun thought.  In fear of being spotted he hid behind a tree.  Using his gamer skills he did his best to sneak closer to the couple.  He could see they had their hands interlocked with eachother.  The girl sighed heavily.
“Maybe we should head there just so G.O. oppa doesn’t worry about us.”
“G.O?  Is there something going on with him!?!” Thunder jumped to his feet.
“No no no,” she reassured him.  “I just know he worries about me.”
“He better not steal you from me.  But maybe we should leave.”
“Okay Sanghyunnie, let me grab my purse.”  The woman stood up and turned around.  As she reached behind the bench for her purse Kyuhyun got a glimpse of her face.

“My angel,” he whispered.  “What is she doing with that jerk?” 

“Did you hear something honey?” Michiko looked around.
“It’s probably just the wind.  Let’s go home.”  Thunder held her hand and led her down the path.  Kyuhyun continued to follow close behind, being careful about not being caught.  It didn’t take long until they reached the outer portion of the park.

*WWOOSSSHHH!!*

“What was that?!?” Michiko exclaimed.  She stopped in her tracks. 
“What was what?”  Thunder seemed confused.
“Can’t you hear that noise?” 
“What noise?”

*WWWOOOSSSHHH!!*

“There it is again!”  Michiko jerked her head towards the noise.  It was somewhere above them.
“I don’t know what you’re hearing.” 
“You really can’t hear it?”
“Not at all.”

Kyuhyun, still a short distance away heard the sound.  He clutched his sword and released it from its scabbard.  He was careful to hide its glow away from the two lovers. 

“Eek!  There it is!”  Michiko pointed at a shadowy figure speeding towards them.
“I don’t see anything.  Are you okay?”
“HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THAT!?!?  It’s huge!”  Michiko shouted in panic.
“Is it one of those creatures?  You do realize I can’t see those.”
“What do you mean you can’t!?!”
“I don’t have powers.  Remember?”  The Shade drew closer, only an armlength’s away. 
“Aish it doesn’t matter! Move!” Michiko pushed her boyfriend to the ground.  She stood in front protecting him.

“RRAWR!”  It shrieked diving towards them. 

“Ah! How do I use magic!?” Michiko furiously scanned her mind for her training.  “What do I do?”
“RRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!”  The Shade attacked!
“SOMEONE HELP!” She shouted, tripping over Thunder.  She covered her face, afraid of watching the Shade tear her to shreds.

*SLASH!* 
A sword ripped through the Shade’s shadowy flesh!  The Shade’s existed faded into midair!

“Huh?”  Michiko lifted her head up.  She could no longer hear the screaming of a monster.  The night was yet silent again.  Opening her eyes, she saw Kyuhyun standing over her staring at the sky.  His expression was serious.
“Kyu oppa?  Why are you here?”
“Shh,” he waved a hand to quiet her.  “You two need to get home fast.  There are more coming.”
Thunder and Michiko remained silent, just nodding and hurrying to their feet. 
“Thank you oppa,” Michiko politely bowed then grabbed her purse from the ground.  Thunder clutched her hand.
“Let’s go.”  The two ran away.

“RAWWRRRR!” Another Shade screamed in the distance.  Kyuhyun headed off.

***

“I could really use a nap,” Noriko yawned, leaning on Suho’s shoulder. 
“Take one; I should be able to handle it.  Other than the few small ones it’s been pretty calm so far tonight.” 

The two of them were sitting on top of a small bar in Pyeongtaek.  They stayed out of sight of the drunkards stumbling along the street.  Hitting about 1 AM most of the people had already left but there were still a few stragglers.  Kai and Chanyeol were patrolling another area of the city for the night as well.  The Shade sightings were following the current patterns noted by Kai and Chanyeol earlier.  Most of the Shades were easy for the experienced 2nd seat and young group leader to handle.  A few took both of their strengths to defeat but dissipated easily.  Suho hadn’t even needed to release his sword, just using his water ball attacks to destroy the creatures.  Noriko spent most of her time sloshing around her high speed water blade and sending steam signals to any passersby out of boredom. 

“Unnie!!” One of the drunkards whined below them.  She was tugging on a woman’s arm.  “I want to drink moreeee.”  Her speech slurred as she tripped over her high heels.
“No no, let’s go home,” the woman slurred back. 
“But I wanna meet a y man.  That jerk had to leave me like this, I don’t wanna be aloonee.”

“Aish shut up,” Noriko shouted from the rooftop. 
“Noona, shh,” Suho said.

“Yo, woman up there? Wae you up there?”  The girl shouted back.
“None of your business,” Noriko called back. 

*Swoosh*

Noriko could faintly hear.  Her attention turned to the sky.  “Another Shade.  Sigh.” 
“I can ge-“
“No no,” she brushed him off.  “It’s my turn.  Plus you should probably help those women away.  They would probably prefer a looker like you.”
“Okay noona.  If you need me please call me.” 
“I will, I promise.”

“Hey ladies,” Suho said as he parkoured down the building. 
“Oooo cutey!” The women collectively said. 
“Would you like a young man to walk you home?”  He offered them his arms. 
“Hehehe you’re such a sweetheart.”  They took up the offer.  He led them away just in time as a Shade appeared over the area.  Concerned, Suho glanced back at Noriko.  She nodded to inform him she could handle it.  He hurried off with the ladies.  Noriko unsheathed her sword, ready for battle.  This Shade didn’t seem like too much for her to handle.  Its battle cry filled the sky with a blaring high squeak.  Noriko tried to keep herself focused with the horrid sound.
“Here I come,” she called out, whipping her sword ride through the middle of the beast.  She sliced down destroying it completely.  Another one down.  She returned to her position sitting on the rooftop.  She heard another shriek.

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”  This Shade sounded louder than the last but wasn’t so clearly in sight. 

“Where are you hiding…?” she asked, knowing that it had to be a Shade.  The sound seemed to be echoing all around her, making it impossible to pinpoint the exact location. The sound got closer and closer to her, making her heart beat faster. Suddenly, she saw a Shade out of the corner of her eye; the white masks always gave it away. The Shade took a swing and she blocked it with her arm.

“There you are,” she said.  She took a hold of the Shade and jabbed her sword into its side. It shrieked in pain at the force of Noriko’s attack.  “Thought you could defeat me, eh?” She relaxed again until another shriek shook the earth.  This time, she knew it wouldn’t be just a single Shade.  She kept a watch for what was coming.  She hopped into the air, hoping no one would witness her crazy abilities.  Since anyone who would see would be painfully plastered, she wasn’t overly concerned.  As she drew closer to the creatures she noticed something.  Now there were three, all bigger than before.
“Not again.”  Her sword sung a buzz at the intense pressure of the water.  It was almost like a water chainsaw.  She attacked the trio hitting each with ease.  As she expected them to dissipate, they formed right back up!  “What?!” she gasped.  She met the claws of two of the Shades right in front of her with the blade of her sword. Noriko was caught so off guard that she swung her sword at them, cutting them in half this time; she didn’t realize that that was her first mistake. The Shades she cut grew their missing halves back again and formed new Shades.

“What is this?” she was now panicking as she fought them off.  The numbers kept increasing the more she cut. What kind of Shade was this?! What Shade appears in with this much power?! Noriko had no time to think and she tried yelling for anyone in the vicinity.

“Help!” she cried as she unleashed her blade again.  All she knew to do was keep trying to cut them down.  She changed her approach and tried to chop off their heads. Noriko kept swinging and swinging but the creatures wouldn’t stop multiplying. She tried to start several incantations for spells but never had enough time to finish before another varying amount of Shades lunged at her. 

“RAWRR RAWRR!!”  All the Shades were screeching now!  Noriko could barely hold her balance because of the sound.  She felt her stance slipping and plummeted to the rooftop, hitting her back right on the ground.

“Owwww,” she moaned.  Her eyes were tempted to close shut but she couldn’t give up.  She couldn’t be defeated like this!  It would shame the name of a 2nd seat!  Since she had a second away from the creatures, she tried another incantation.

"River in the sky
 Full of fury
 
Drown the demons of hell
 
With your beastly powers
 
Boiling Hurricane!"

*SSSLLLLOOOSSSHHHHHHH!!!!!!*

A blast of boiling water bubbled from her hands and shot at the creatures!  It swirled and through the Shades into a watery whirlwind of hell!  They were over taken by the force of the storm and were getting swallowed up.

“Finally,” she thought, controlling the hurricane.  As she watched them fade she shut her palms and laid back.  “Is it over?”  She glanced up.  Everything seemed clear.  She took a deep breath feeling relieved.  That was, until shadows started forming again.
“What is going on?”  She could feel her vision starting to blur.  Her inner demon was suddenly trying to fight her. 

“Give in,” she could hear being whispered by the shadows reforming in the sky.  Now there were even more Shades!
“Oh no, what am I going to do?”  She reached for her sword she set down for the incantation.  Before she could get to it a Shade knocked it away!  “AISH!”  She tried to roll over to grab it but was stopped by a Shade jumping on top of her.  “GET OFF OF ME!” She yelled, tearing away at its mask.  It wouldn’t break.  “I’M NOT LOSING TO YOU!”  She threw a punch but instead of causing any damage to the creature it hurt her hand.  Blood dripped down from her possibly broken knuckle.  The Shade pounded its mask against her head.  She momentarily out but fought herself back awake just to be engulfed by her demon.
“I guess this is it…” she was ready to give up hope.  She kept trying to fight the creature off but it was a losing battle.  The Shade attacked her forehead again; she couldn’t counter.  Her eyes shut. Could this really be the end? Was this how she was going to die? She didn’t want to believe it. Noriko was a 2nd seat, an elite member of the Protection Squads. What kind of embarrassment was this?  “I’m sorry I failed,” she whispered.  Her head dropped back. 

“Goodbye.”

 

Out of nowhere, an arrow came flying and hit the Shade right in middle of the mask!

“Right between the eyes…” shouted a voice. The Shade right above Noriko vanished! 
“Wha?” She whispered.  Her eyes were completely blurred every time she tried to open them. 
She heard another arrow striking something and the Shades suddenly shrieked louder. Little by little, the Shades began to turn to dust.

“Who…?” she thought as she struggled to hold on.  The voice sounded female but unfamiliar.
“Don’t leave out the fun for me,” she heard a male voice this time.  It was deep; clearly an older man. 
“I won’t.”
As the last of the Shades vanished, Noriko attempted to spot her heroes.  She could see two people standing above her but unable to make out either.  The woman seemed to be the one holding the bow and arrows. 

“It’s a good thing we made it in time,” remarked the woman. Noriko could barely hold her focus to hear the rest of this person’s words. It looked as if the person was still talking and had extended a hand to help her up. Before Noriko could do anything, she felt her eyes shut and her body go limp; she passed out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MYSTERIOUS PEOPLE ZOMG!!  Hehe :)  Comments if you like :D  Thank you for the patience.