Yesterday's Pastel of Colors

The Incompatibility of Red and Blue

 

Donghae was just standing there, his fist clenched as he watched Changmin tickled Yoona in places he didn’t want to know. He was perfectly aware that the two were practically best friends ever since they were young and that they were naturally intimate with each other but somehow... just somehow, the scene before him didn’t look right. Unexplainably, it reminded him of an indescribable feeling brought about by a vivid memory that happened six years ago.

 


 

It was a crisp and cool August night. Donghae can be found at one of the corners of SM Entertainment’s building rooftop, lying comfortably on the ground with his hands at the back of his head. Super Junior had officially and successfully finished their first-ever album promotions and everyone was in a celebratory mood. If only he wasn't feeling so tired that time, he would have joined s in devouring the pizzas that their managers ordered for them. Instead, he went to the rooftop to at least have a moment of peace. Idol life was indeed exhilarating but it can also be very tiring. As he closed his eyes to catch some sleep that he had been missing for quite some time, the door to the rooftop opened and two familiar figures entered.

"You were right, oppa! The stars are very well visible tonight!" an eighteen year-old  Im Yoona exclaimed.

"When did I ever lie to you anyway?" a young Shim Changmin replied.

The pair’s sudden appearance took Donghae by surprise but the fact that they were together did not.  Everyone in SM Entertainment knew that TVXQ’s Changmin and SNSD’s Yoona, ever since their trainee days, were heavily inseparable. Donghae didn’t know the primary reason behind this but he does have his own theories. It’s either because they stood out among the others: Changmin for his strong charisma, and Yoona for her beauty and elegance, or because they were childhood best friends or simply because they complement each other in ways others cannot.  Due to their closeness and undeniable chemistry, there was a point in time when the company almost considered having them as their official flagship couple. If it wasn’t for Yoona’s boyish antics, SM Entertainment would not have dropped the idea.

Donghae was snapped out of his thoughts when he heard the younger girl spoke again.

"Oppa, will there be shooting stars tonight?"

From his position, Donghae could see that the two had rested down on the ground as well. Also, if his eyes weren't playing on him, it seemed that Yoona was using Changmin's left arm as a pillow and the two of them were as close as to hugging each other. The scene gave Donghae a mixture of negative feelings that he didn’t had good intuitions about.

 It hadn’t been a long time when Donghae realized his real feelings for Yoona.  Although he knew he likes her as a person, he had never questioned his past self as to why he still found her charming and pleasing even though she doesn’t act that way. He was always okay seeing her interact with other guys but he had to be honest and say that Changmin had always been an exception. He just couldn’t help but feel infuriated. Perhaps, it was because Yoona treated Changmin as someone exceptionally special. At the back of his mind, Donghae wanted to be that special someone and not a particular TVXQ guy.

"I’m not sure about that. Why did you ask?" he heard Changmin say.

"I want to make a wish."

"What wish?"

"It wouldn’t come true if I tell you, would it?"

At this point, Donghae was now sure that Changmin was hugging Yoona. He was getting distracted again by their physical closeness so he tried his best to focus on their conversation instead. He could make out that Changmin was convincing the younger girl to tell him her wish and when Yoona decided to keep mum about it, Changmin threatened to kiss her. It was obvious that the girl was scandalized by what her so-called best friend had said with the way she swiftly told him what he wanted to  know.

"Well, I’ve actually got four wishes. First, I wished that SNSD would be as successful as the TVXQ oppadeul and Super Junior oppadeul.  Second, I hope that the nine of us would be showered with good health so that we could happily work together. Third, I’m crossing my fingers that Seohyun and I would pass our final exams so that we may be able to graduate from high school and fourth, I wished to find my prince charming soon!”

Changmin laughed at the last thing she said and teasingly inquired, "But aren’t I your prince charming?"

Yoona simply shook her head and said, "You are my knight in shining armour."

"Is there even a difference?" Changmin asked again as he pulled Yoona closer to him.  The action made Donghae’s insides growl in anger (If that’s even possible.)

"There's a big difference, oppa! I believe that a prince charming is someone whom I can entrust all my love with while a knight in shining armour is someone who deserves my trust to the fullest." Yoona said.

"Your explanation is so vague, Yoona!" Changmin retorted. "How about I play both roles?" he added, a smirk plastered on his face.

Yoona innocently pouted at this and in a way a child would explain, said "But you can't! You are my best friend, and best friends are supposed to be the princess' knight in shining armor!"

Changmin let out a howl of laughter before giving Yoona a peck on the forehead. "You are so naive, Yoona... So naive..."

 


 

"Oppa!... Donghae oppa!"  A familiar sweet voice called out.

Donghae snapped out of his reverie and he suddenly remembered where he was. In front of him was a concerned-looking Yoona who appeared like she'll have a heart attack soon. Donghae softened his gaze upon locking eyes with her and he gently caressed her face. If it was not for the little cough that Changmin (who was then standing beside Yoona) made, Donghae wouldn't noticed him. His gaze made a 180 degree turn as its fierceness met Changmin’s. Through this way, he wanted to imply that Yoona was already his. That he was Yoona’s prince charming and that Changmin would forever only be the knight in shining armor.

It seemed that the younger man understood what he was trying to communicate but instead of having a pitiful expression on his face, Changmin gave Donghae a malicious smirk before affectionately patting Yoona's head and said, "I'll go ahead now princess. Have fun with your prince for the meantime."

Donghae momentarily followed him with his eyes but as soon as Changmin was nowhere in sight, he quickly diverted all his attention to Yoona who was now clutching his arm. He held her close to him and gave her a bear hug which totally took the girl by surprise. As he enjoyed the sweet scent of his girlfriend, he thought to himself, “Just this once Shim. I’ll let you pass just this once... For Yoona’s sake.”

 


Author's notes: I am crossing my fingers that you'd all love this chapter. I personally had fun writing this one and I just hope that I would be able to leave a smile on your face as you finished reading this update. This had been saved on my handphone for quite some time now and I'm really sorry that I've only managed to upload it today. I've been on the mood to do some K-Pop album shopping and speaking of that, I'll just do some sort of shameless plugging! ^^ If you are a fan of SMEnt's artists and Big Bang, you might want to check my blog (hellofaye.blogspot.com). ^^ I post reviews and pictures of K-Pop albums that I've recently acquired there and well, it's some sort of a personal haven as well.

Thank you so much for supporting this story and again, I am wishing that you all have a good read! ^^