Chapter 9

Replace you

Sunggyu woke up with a major headache. He sat up on the bed groggily, holding on tightly to his head. His surrounding was dark, but the soft moonlight that seeped through the drapes was enough for him to know that he was in his room. Letting out a groan, he scratched the front of his neck and rolled over to blindly search his cell phone.

 

Pressing a button was all it took for the phone to be thrown to the other side of the room. The light was blinding. Groaning and clamping his hands on his pillow, he dug his face deep in it. He pulled the covers high above his head, closed his eyes tightly and forced himself to sleep again.

 

The second time he woke up, he heard voices from outside of his blanket. He didn't want to wake up yet, so he kept his eyes closed. Doing it wasn't really helping to drown the noises, so he shifted in the sheets, making the movement loud. It worked for it was quiet for a moment and he was thankful.

 

"Are you awake?" he heard someone ask and all he wanted was to shout at the person to go away.

 

His third waking was the closest to pleasant. He pulled the covers down and blinked his sleepy eyes a few times. The curtains were still closed and the room was dimly lit, but it was obvious that the sun was out. Sitting up and running a hand through his hair, he twisted in the direction of his bedside table to check the time on his mobile phone, only to not find the device there.

 

He resisted the urge to sink into bed again, and forced himself off his comfortable sheets. Rolling off bed, he stood up and almost tripped at the sudden wave of dizziness that swarmed his head. It quickly faded away. Shuffling to the door, he peeked down the bright hall, squinting his eyes. It wasn't as annoying, but his eyes had to adjust to the brightness.

 

"Umma?" he called quietly as he descended the stairs, his voice hoarse from his dry throat.

 

Everything was quiet when he reached downstairs. It didn't look like anyone was home. He expected his mother to be in the kitchen, but as he neared the room, he proved himself wrong. Then he proceeded to grab a drink. Staring at the white surface of the refrigerator door as he emptied the glass of water, he actually hoped to find a note.

 

After opening the curtains when he came back to his room, he picked his towel and went to the bathroom to take a shower. Taking a moment to stretch his limbs in front of the sink, he rubbed his sore neck; and when he tried to pull his shirt off, his movement halted and he immediately leaned forward to look himself in the mirror.

 

He cringed at the mess he's viewing.

 

Why was his lips bruised? He brought a finger to the cut at the corner of his mouth.

 

Hurriedly, he stepped into the shower.

 

----

A glint caught his eyes and he twisted his head in its direction. Slinging the towel over his shoulders, he breathed aloud and went to the corner to retrieve his mobile phone. Typing in his password after noticing the asterisk marked on the message icon, he opened the message.

 

His lips parted in a silent gasp as he read the last two sentences.

Btw, you slept through the weekend. it's Monday

 

----

He planked himself down on the wooden floor of the practice room. He used his bag as a makeshift pillow as he laid on the cool surface. Ten minutes wasn't enough to enjoy his alone time for the next second the bell blared around the school and Sunggyu quickly scrambled to sit with his back against the wall and his feet comfortably stretched out. He pulled out and placed his script book just in time the door swung open to reveal an annoyed-looking Woohyun.

 

His eyebrows furrowed when he heard another male voice following closely behind Woohyun and as it became clearer, Sunggyu quickly got up to his feet at the familiar voice. The moment Woohyun fully entered the door, Sunggyu cursed himself when Woohyun's expression brightened and matter of course, Woohyun ran to his side.

 

"Jagiya!" Woohyun cried almost immediately, his school bag long forgotten after he dropped it on the floor and hugged Sunggyu's arm whiningly. Sunggyu had a difficult time keeping the strained smile on and restrained himself from shoving Woohyun to the far end of the room. "Dongwoo here doesn't want to go away! Director-nim will be angry if he finds out someone unrelated is here!"

 

Sunggyu watched as the blue haired boy's expression darkened when Woohyun spat the word 'unrelated'. Wasn't it too harsh for Woohyun to say that? Wasn't Dongwoo his supposed...boyfriend? Ex-boyfriend? Sunggyu came to realise he hadn't actually known what relationship Woohyun shared with Dongwoo. Not that he wanted to meddle into others' affairs but-

 

"Can you leave, Dongwoo? Woohyun doesn't want you here, and I'm sure Director isn't pleased with having you here."

 

Sunggyu felt his heart beat wildly in his chest.

Where did that come from?

What did he just say?

 

From the look Woohyun was giving him as he turned to face him, it was something no one - not even himself - would believe would push through his mouth.

 

Quickly regaining his stance, he shoved Woohyun's hands away and walked towards Dongwoo, pushing him out and closed the door behind him. Thoughts choked him as he made his way to where he previously sat. Woohyun placed himself beside Sunggyu without the older noticing.

 

Minutes ticked by still and unnoticed until Woohyun decided to break it, his voice slicing through the silence-engulfed room like a blade.

 

"Thank you."

 

When there was no answer from Sunggyu, Woohyun turned to look at the older male, only finding him staring into space. Getting up to a crouch, Woohyun moved in front of Sunggyu.

 

"I said thank you," he said the words more sternly this time.

 

Sunggyu snapped out of his trance when he felt something cold brush the side of his lips. As if by instinct, Sunggyu grabbed the object, soon finding Woohyun's hand under his and the frozen fingers pressed on his bruise making him wince, and he released his grip.

 

Woohyun - who looked like he had just realised what he did - quickly backed to the wall. The dim glint in his eyes looked to Sunggyu's lowered ones as if waiting for an upcoming debate. But it didn't come.

 

His voice stuttered, "I-I- What...h-happened to your lips?"

 

The question left unanswered when the door suddenly opened. Woohyun climbed to his feet when Naria entered, while Sunggyu had his neck twisted to the newcomer before averting it back to his shoes.

 

----

As they walked out of the practice room to a call from their stage manager, Sunggyu absentmindedly looked for his two friends. He didn't see them even as they spoke to the manager. He excused himself from his two associates and went to look for them back stage.

 

Sunggyu whipped his head to a sudden loud noise.

 

He managed to catch Sungyeol's profile behind all those commotion and when he did see them face to face, something tugged inside him when Sungyeol avoided his eyes. He was sure Sungyeol saw him. He came closer. When he confirmed Sungyeol was ignoring him, he looked at Myungsoo with questioning eyes.

 

Myungsoo glanced at Sungyeol before pulling Sunggyu away.

 

Releasing his grip as they turned to a more secluded space, Myungsoo hesitated as he spoke.

 

"Do you remember what happened that night?"

 

Upon that, memories started projecting into his head like a bullet.

.

.

.

.

----

I hope this update was okay :)