My Name is SuHan

Sibling Rivalry

You can do this! You can do this! I brainwashed myself. I was walking as slow as humanly possible without stopping when I finally caught sight of the building that I promised to enter last night. If only I hadn't told Grams that I'd come by around this time. I should have never opened my mouth! One step, two step...five steps to the entrance door of the building. I had finally pulled the door open to the air conditioned apartment and stepped in. I deashed up the stairs with the thought that the faster I go up three the faster I can get back down.

I rang the doorbell on the left side as soon as I hit the third floor. The six floored apartment only had two doors to have to pick from on each floor, so I figured my odds were good while I stepped back from the door. Holding my hands behind my back and my head low, I waited for someone to answer the door. It was about thirty seconds later that the door finally cracked open. I was about to say my greetings and apologiize for what I did when the person just slammed the door on my face.

Uhhh... I didn't know what to do. Should I speak up anyway? Ok, might as well try whatever it's not like I'm ever going to see them again, I'm going to Korea. I finally spoke after giving it much thought, and said, "Excuse-me!" while knocking on the door at the same time, "I'm the girl that disturbed you from yesterday. I just wanted to apologize for my behaviour..." I waited for a response, then quickly added, "Oh! And I also accidently promised you I would come around three right? That's why I'm here!" I was starting to get frustrated with this person. It's not like I didn't know there was someone there! "I'm not going to hurt you!" I finally shouted when I saw the door swing wide open.

"Hello dear!" Grams looked thrilled to see me.

"Hi... What took so long?..." I asked awkwardly.

She started getting uncomfortable and scratched her head saying, "I just... I wasn't... in the best position to answer the door. I just got changed and came back. Nothing else." Before I asked she also answered my next question, "I first answered the door because I thought you might be my grandson... Why don't you come in dear?" She stepped aside to make me some room. I was just about to refuse when she brought up what happened last night. "Come in and I might forgive you for ruining my sleep," she talked fast.

Without saying anything I took a little step forward and gave a slight smile.

"Oh, good," she said getting me really creeped out. As if she wanted me to come in and cook me for dinner or something. You're getting way ahead of youself, I told myself, calm down. I took deep breaths as Grams lead me to the tiny living room that was decorated with pictures everywhere. I recognized a huge one on the wall above the couch to be the boy from last night. That seems a little r-rated, I thought. I should get a hold of myself before Grams notices like everyone else around me that something is amiss in my head. I quickly turned to face Grams after giving a long stare at the photo and was about to talk when she beat me to it. "Why don't you have a seat and make yourself at home?" she asked.

"Sure..." I said continuing with the awkward feeling I had from the moment I saw Grams' face. "Is there a reason you wanted me to come?" I asked trying to be polite. I really wanted to leave this place right now, but there as nothing I could do. What would I do if I could? Well, I would take back time and not sing and dance on the streets. Smart right?

"Nothing..." Grams said with a mysterious look on her face. I squinted my eyes trying to figure it out when she finally couldn't take it anymore and asked me whether I would like something to eat, and ran to the kitchen without waiting for me to answer. I don't know how a woman her age could even run that fast... indoors!

"Water would be fine, I wouldn't want to be a burden to you," I answered belatedly. 

"Oh of course not!" she said from the kitchen. "I'll make you some nice hot tea," she sang, excitement showing through her voice. Looking at her like this, it felt like she was my grandmother instead of some jerks. Of course that being said, I still felt awkward around her, but then again, I felt awkward around my own grandmother too. It's probably just because I can't get close to old people very fast, and I only get to see my family back at home once a year. Most of the time I spend that time with my aunts and uncles... not my grandparents that seem to be mad at me for not living with them in South Korea.

I finally stood up out of boredom and started looking at the pictures cluttering the walls of this tiny apartment building. Starting from the left, I looked through all of the pictures in a clockwise motion. There was one picture that I always came back to look at though, and it was the boy from yesterday. He had a friend with him in that picture, and the view was amazing. There were these pink trees that leaned right over them. It looked like a dream.

"It's ready dear," Grams walked into the room with the tea ready in her hand. When she saw me looking at the picture, she started talking about it as she handed me my tea. "The one on the left is Junho and the one on the right is Suhan, they're brothers. Our Junho will be a star soon, you'll be reading about him in the papers and online, everywhere! Oh I'm so proud of him."

"Yeah," I said trying not to burst her bubble, but it's very rare that people get famous.

I don't know if it was my expression or my tone that gave me away, but she didn't buy that I believed her. "He will be! Do you know about kpop?" she asked me.

I almost spit out the hot tea right onto her face. "Kpop?" I asked after swallowing my mouthful with great difficulty. When she gave a worried nod I continued, "What company?!" I asked quickly.

"I think he said that it was JYP, the one with Wonder Girls," she answered. I just stood there my mouth agape. Wow. I knew they were Korean as soon as I saw that boys face, but I didn't think that he would really be a soon-to-be-star's brother. Sure, this guy was hot, and I mean really hot! But... still...

Grams was going to continue talking when the doorbell rang. She ran to get the door saying that it was probably Suhan, her younger grandson. "Oh! Yes, yes! It is!" she said waving him inside towards the living room where I was.

"Annyeonghaseyo," the boy from last noght greeted bowing down, obviously not knowing who I was.

"Annyeonghaseyo," I said trying not to ruin the atmosphere. I was having a lot of fun though watching the corners of his mouth turn sliiighlty upwards, trying not to show his satisfaction when seeing me. I'm guessing it was their first young girl guest in a long time.

"My name is Suhan," he continued still trying hard at controlling his actions. Grams didn;t notice any of the things I noticed because she was still thinking of her other grandson being a star and all. I bet the other one isn't half as hot as this one is, it's just impossible.

"I'm Mini," I said with a small smile and sat back down. There were no other seats left in the tiny living room, so he sat next to me after looking around a bit, right under the picture of him and his brother. 

"That's a very interesting name!" Grams cut in to my staring competition with Suhan's arms. They were huge! How long he must have to exercise to get the ladies to swoon over him. The question wasn't how long he worked out though, it was why he did it. He probably has some freakish girlfriend that forces him to.

I didn't forget to answer even after seeing those babies, "Thank you," I said still keeping my smile plastered on from the moment I rang the doorbell. "I was born rather small so as some sort of joke, my mom and dad called me Mini," I gave a breathy laugh from not knowing what else to do. If I can't even handle a situation where I don't have to save my image, I can't talk! How am I supposed to open my mouth at all, when I'm at interviews in Korea?! Now was not the time to think about that though, because they were both staring at me with intense eyes.

Grams finally started talking again, not forgetting about our conversation before Suhan entered. "Right! We were talking about Junho!" she got excited, Suhan didn't say anything else the whole time I was there, which was very long. I learned a lot about Junho though. He is going to debut in a group called 2pm sometime this month, his birthday is January 25th 1990, which makes him four and a half years older than me, and he has an amazing voice. He won a contest in 2006, which is why he is going to debut now in 2008 (pretty early compared to other people I've heard about). Grams also said that he really looks like Bi, but I really doubted that. My boss is one of a kind, but... we'll see.