Meeting a Stranger

Sibling Rivalry

Walking down the street, singing to myself I realize that I've started getting louder and louder. Soon I begin dancing too, when I finally hear a voice calling me.

"Yo!" he says with a deep voice that could easily be heard during a thunderstorm. "Can you hear me?" I froze up for a moment, debating whether or not to answer him, or if I should even face him or not. Would he be able to hurt me if I yelled at him for being so impolite, or would it be a 14-year-old boy going through puberty with a temporary deep voice that would soon crack?

I decided to act strong in front of this kid whom I had no idea about (except for knowing his voice is scary) I turned around and looked around the empty street that was lit by the dim lights of the street lamps and the few homes that had their lights . I got confused and frustrated that I couldn't locate the mystery voice. Was I just imaging it all along? I shrugged and turned around to continue to the dorms. I was on my way back from my school.

"I'm up here doofus!" the voice yelled again.

"Hey!" I yelled nowhere in particular, "If you want me to answer, call out politely!" I had a frustrated expression on my face that I'm almost positive was for no good reason, because this boy couldn't see it anyway... I think. "Now if you'll excuse me!" I said taking a step forward, "I have a curfew!" Although that may have been too much information about myself for a stranger, I didn't care much.

"Okay... excuse me curfew-guy, would you look up to your right?" he asked. His voice still hadn't cracked, so I thought most likely, he wasn't a pubescent little boy, and I think... maybe... just maybe... he thought i was a guy.

I kept my posture, didn't look up, and just talked, "To my right?" I asked with attitude.

"Yes, please," he said with some aegyo. I rolled my eyes and looked up to the left. I laughed out loud in the process.

"I'm just kidding with you!"I said between breaths of laughter, "I know where my right and left are. So... what do you want?" I asked him with a smile on my face.

"Wow..." he said staring at me.

"What?" I said cockily, "never seen such a beautiful girl?" I asked and did a little spin holding my extra-extra-large hoodie as if it were a long dress.

"No,"he said bluntly, "it's just that I've never seen someone so bi-polar in my life before, and... and..." he froze up again with the same expression as before, then it turned into a should-I-tell-her-or-not look.

"Just tell me!" I yelled with a curious expression left behind.

"O-okay," he said. He seemed so cute from this distance now. I could barely see him actually, he just looked a little clearer than a silhouette, but somehow, he was... special. "I thought you were... a guy," he finally confessed and turned his head around and put his arms up as if waiting for a bomb to explode.

"Yeah well..." I said, "I'm not, so... don't be so mean and tell girls that all the time, ok?" I turned around faking hurt.

"I didn't mean to... I... I'm really..." I paused in my steps and lowered my head for a greater affect. "Sorry," he finally finished.

I popped my head back up with a smile and said, "I know, don't worry about it. I knew you thought I was a guy when... I don't remember but, it was a while back."

"Ugh!" he screamed, "you little-!"

"Actually," I intervened, "I'm not that young, but I probably look young because I'm like... one... two.. three... yeah three floors below you." He was still looking at me in shock when I heard the the window next to his open and an old lady start yelling at him.

"Why you bastard! I thought I told you to get rid of the noise! Now look, I find you being the source of nuisance! Why are you talking up this young girl at such a late time?!" She actually looked quite cute with a hat placed on her head and a big shirt that matched it. The boy seemed embarassed and mad at the same time.

"Grandma!" he yelled, "I wasn't chatting her up! I was actually-"

I picked up from there saying, "he's actually innocent grams," I said. "I was the one causing trouble, and I'm truly sorry for that. I won't do that anymore, and please forgive him, he actually was trying to shut me up, but I'm pretty stubborn in my ways, especially when the other person is around my age." I sent a little wave in their direction and turned around to leave when she called out saying hey.

"You can't just say sorry and leave!" I took a look up again, shocked to my very bone.

"Yeah! You tell her grandma!" The boy cheered.

"Oh shut-up!" we both said to him.

"You!" Grams yelled down, "come up here and have a talk with me!" I took a look at my phone in my pocket. It read 7:30.

"Oh crap!" I said under my breath. "Although you seem like a very sweet and interesting person to be able to talk to Grams, I think we'll have to reschedule this for tomorrow, because I have a curfew and all. Plus, how am I supposed to just trust that you won't do anything to me and come up? I have watched criminal minds and stuff before you know. So... bye! Nice meeting you!" I said as I started running towards my boss.

Half an hour. Half an hour is plenty I thought to myself on the way. Although it generally takes me an hour to walk home, if I run, I'll be at home in... fifteen minutes? Yeah, I think I only have three kilometers left, so my calculations should be right... except that I'm carrying a lot of stuff, and I'm really tired so maybe double that time? I hope I can make it!

I could still hear Grams' shrilly voice from a little more than a hundred meters away. "Go catch her!" she was saying to the boy.

"I'll see you at your place tomorrow at around three o'clock!" I yelled out feeling the cool air in my mouth. "Ah," I said, "that does not feel good with mint gum."