The Talks and The Heels

Sibling Rivalry

"Wake up!" I heard Mike say, "it's seven why are you sleeping?"

"There's no school," I mumble into my pillows, "So shh." I put a finger up to my cheek because my lips were crushed against the pillow in the least attractive way. Taking a deep breath I turned around to get into a more comfortable position. My eyes slightly ajar I saw that  it wasn't Mike I was talking to. "Unni! Oh sorry! I was dreaming and-and-"

"Don't worry I'm used to it," Jimin Unni said with a smile. "Everyone is downstairs," she was staring at me with intense eyes. I just looked at her not getting the point. I mean so what if everyone's downstairs? What does she want me to do about it? As if answering my thoughts she answered, "waiting for you! Apparently we need to have a talk," she rolled her eyes while saying the last part as if she was way too good for that kind of stuff.

"Oh," I said unmoving. We just kept staring at each other until I remembered the hallway guy. With a deep breath I rolled out of bed to wash my face and head downstairs. Unni had already gone down and they were all waiting like the day I was supposed get scolded for being rude and got the talk about how I would get hated by my sunbaes if I wasn't willing to change, except this time Gayun and Yoonmi Unni were there too. I took the closest empty seat which happened to be next to Jihoon Oppa.

"Do you guys want something to eat?" He asked trying to lift the mood. I just stared into space waiting for everyone else to answer for me, because apparently that was the polite thing to do (let your elders decide). They shook their heads no. Okay, I wasn't hungry anyway. "Then..."

"Just get to the point," Jimin Unni said impatience coloring over her words.

"Jimin," Jaehwa Unni warned the younger one.

"I'm just saying I think we all know what this talk is suppose  to be about so there's no reason to worry about how to ease into the topic. So, go ahead dive right in Oppa,"she said in the same tone as earlier.

"Okay then," Bi said in an equally stubborn voice, "These are your new members Gayun and Yoonmi, I just wanted tot say that you guys will be debuting soon-"

"What?! We just got here! Are you serious?! Ohmygod thank you! Thankyouthankyouthankyou," I said all in one breath while squeezing the life out of my boss with my tight bear hug.

He let out a low laugh, still a little distturbed with Jimin's attitude. "Yeah, this month by the way. Remember that dance you guys learned in the Us?" he asked. I was the only one that nodded enthusiasticly everyone else was sitting still waiting for him to continue. "Well that was the song you guys will record this weekend. Gayun and Yoonmi already know the dance too, but we need to divvy up the parts. Gayun here will do the rapping, and Eunae is the main vocal so she'll probably be doing high notes in the background. You," he turned to me, "will be the second main vocal, and you, "he said pointing to Jimin Unni, "will be the second rapper. I hope you guys all learn more about the whole project but for now this is what we have planned as a company..." he continued like that while we all just listened to his strong voice boom on and on about our new exciting talk. In the end he turned to the unnis and said, "I hope you guys accept Gayun and Yoonmi into your group as well as you did when Mini came," and with that he walked out of the house leaving us alone.

Upstairs the twon new members picked rooms according to their preference of the view, but neither picked my room because they apparently, "can't sleep when there is noise" I can't say I wasn't hurt. Here I thought I was the only one they had gotten close to. Whatever, I have a lot on my mind right now anyways, I don't need someone disrupting my limited time to sleep with their useless talking.

***

After about eight hours of sleep, Jihoon Oppa came in to each of our rooms (mine first because it was closest to the stairs) and started speaking in a military voice, and telling us to wake up to practice for our debut.

"Come on!" he boomed, "You have to practice in heels this time!" that got me out of my happy place in a flash.

"What?!" I yelled, "I can't walk in high heels!"

"Well then we'll have to go step by step, starting from the first one... Wear them," he said shoving a pair of black strappy heel in my face.

"Oppa!" I whined, "Can't I just wear flats? Or running shoes, or other shoes that don't have heels? I seriouslt can't walk in them," I pouted.

"Then I guess you'll have to learn fast because we also have a photoshoot after the recording, it's for your album cover." He was smiling really wide, getting a kick out of my vulnerability.

I breathed in and breathed out slowly like I was taught from the tv and tried to calm down. It's okay Mini breathe, it's not the end of the world, all you have to do is wear them and learn how walk all over again. Not too bad... I guess. "Fine," I said snatching the heel out of his hands before he could swipe them away and make fun of me again.

While everyone else was practicing the routine in their new heels, I was learning to walk while clinging onto my boss' firm arm. Man he works out~ rawr;) that's not what I'm supposed to be thinking because I can't even walk while I'm only thinking of my feet, why am I trying to multitask? Shut up Mini! I slapped my head with my right hand and almost fell over. Ohmygod this is so humiliating! I'm good at dancing! Why do I have to at this?! "Oppa I give up!" I yelled and threw my arms up in the air. Bad idea, I started wobbling and swinging my arms in a circular motion to stay alive. "Oppa! Oppa!" I yelled, but he was just laughing.

I stood up now. It's been an hour now and I can finally stand on my own. Yay! "You did it!" Jihoon Oppa said. I just glared at him and slowly inched over to the benches to the side of the practice room.

Another three hours of painful walking later I asked Jihoon Oppa if I could go out and buy a phone to call my parents in Canada and friends in America. He let me with one condition, I had to go there in heels... I barely kept myself from hitting my boss' perfect face with my balled up fists when he said that. Why?! Why was he doing this to me? I never knew people hated me so much! First hallway guy then my boss! Who's next Suhan (Grams' grandson in America)?! I held myself from rolling my eyes an getting another punishment.

"Neh," I answered in a whisper, "I'll do it," I swallowed hard, "But if I fall and die... I want you to know it was your fault." There, that should do it, I smiled to myself.

"Don't worry," he said, " I trust you. Plus you've been walking around like a model for a half an hour now. Believe it or not, I think you're even ready to dance to a powerful song with hip s and stuff," he laughed. I know this is stupid... but I felt flattered, and it felt nice... you know, someone believing in me... someone who didn't just a couple weeks ago.

"Okay, well thanks," I said and walked out with my red jacket in my hands.

"Oppa," I said as I walked back in with my head hung low, "where do I go? Do you have a map or something..." My voice trailed off when I saw him shake his head.

"No need for a map," he said, "Go ask around, I'm sure there's an electronics store somewhere here." Okaaay, but where?

"Okay, I guees I'll improve my polite speaking skills according to Korea. If anyone looks all sour at me I'll know I made an unforgivable mistake. Good thing I won't ever see them again," I said my voice full of relief. Leaving the new building, I walked down the street to nowhere in particular... kind of. I saw a convenience store soon enough and walked in to ask for directions. I felt like everyone was looking at me in my jean shorts and black heels. Good thing I shaved this morning. No one was looking at my face, only up and down my body, man that felt horrible. Did I enter a erted store? Maybe I shouldn't hve come here, plus now they know where I'm going. Aw man!

When the cashier told me where I needed to go I ran out of the store. I didn't care if I tripped, as long as I could stand back up and not be caught by these disgusting men. I didn't trip though (something I'm very very glad for). I ran to buy a phone with my new Koren money that I got at the airport (it was American, but I changed the currency as soon as I landed). Paying the amount in cash I called a cab home (memorized the address as soon we moved... I'm kind of paranoid).

***

Phew that was a long day, now I finally have my phone, and peace and quiet in the house, but I won't take off my heels so that I can get used to them. It won't be so bad when I'm completely used to them, and I would never admit this to Bi, but they were pretty. They made me feel confient about my looks and very non-confident about my ability to walk.

Enough of that, I need to call my brother and ask him about the hallway guy's views on me. After punching the numbers into my new phone, I waited for my family to answer, forgetting that there was a time difference. My mom answered the phone groggily, waiting for a reply.

"Omma!" I yelled happily.

"Ya!" she yelled at me, "It's 3 am here! What are you doing? Trying to wake up our ounger brothers?!"

"Mianhae omma, I didn't think, you know it's only 2 pm here?"

"I know," she said calmer now, "What do you want?"

Cutting to the chase, that's my mom, "Is Mike awake?" I asked knowing full well that he shouldn't be.

"He woke up when I yelled at you," she laughed, "Is there something important ou need to talk about?"

"Well... it's driving me crazy an I don't know what to do!" I freaked out and started crying. Wow, that escalate quickly.

"One second, I'll get him on the phone, sicne you think I won't have good advice."

"Aniya, omma," I whined, "You know that's not true, but he's a guy, so I thought he might know what this other guy thinks."

She shrieked. Right in my ear. And my eardrums blew up. Almost. "You like someone?" She asked excited. "This is the first time you've shown any interest in guys, other than friends you know, but wow! Who is it? A celebrity? Does he look good? How old is he? Does he like you? Ohmygod are you two dating?! No! My baby! Don't do it! You're not allowed! Didn't we have a nice long talk with Jihoon-ssi about how he should look after you, and how we were entrusting him with our precious only daughter? Why didn't he stop you two? Are you pregnent did you not use protection? Mini?! How could you?!" I listened to all of her rambling and finally interjected when she almost gave me a talk.

"Mom, just hand it over to Mike," I said calmly letting her think whatever she wanted to. Mike would tell her later anyway. "Hello?" I heard Mike's voice on the other end.

"Mike... so there's this guy... I met him the other day and-"

"You're wondering why he hates you?" he asked. What?! How did he know? Am I that transparent? Even on the phone? What if that guy knew I like him and thought I was clingy?! "Stop making up scenarios in your head and answer me. Repeat the whole conversation to me. Include all of his actions too." Wow, okay.

"Okay so..." So I told him, and it took a total of ten minutes. Then he explained to me that the guy was just being normal, and that he can't tell if the guy likes me yet, but hallway-guy definitely doesn't hate me. Well that was a relief, but I couldn't believe it took an hour to convince me. My mom was interrupting us halfway and asking if I was having morning sickness yet. I told her no not yet, but maybe in like ten years. After my long and refreshing talk on the phone, I went to find something to eat.

"Cooking in my heels~" I sang while getting my lunch ready. I need to ask Jihoon Oppa that hallway guys name or find a new nickname because it takes too long to call him that. I'll find out soon, I thought with a smile. They'll be home soon. I was so much happier now that I knew he didn't hate me. I don't know why it bugged me so much to even think that he hated my guts but... it just did.