SIX

Peach

Jakku mami gane

(My heart keeps going to you)


Na jeongmal michigenne

(I’m really going crazy)

 

                Jieun finally wrote on her notebook. Her head was pounding but she couldn’t help it. These are the only words she could think of as of now. She usually writes songs like its nothing. But this time, she was blocked. Not knowing why, she slammed her notebook shut in frustration.

                “What are you doing?” A voice Jieun seemed to already recognize.

                “Nothing, just some uh—song.” She answered trying to hide the notebook behind her back.

                “Interesting,” he said even though he actually looked bored. Myungsoo was about to close the door as he got out but Jieun stopped him.

                “Hey, thank you,” she said a bit too hushed.

                “What?”

                “I said thank you,” she tried to avoid eye contact.

                “For what?”

                “For bringing me back here in your home…or not leaving me in the streets. And I’m sorry for uh bothering you.”

                “Sure. I think it’s a better idea if we try to act civil to each other, you know, lessen the stress,” he explained.

                “I might be staying for a few days more.”

                “Whatever. Do whatever you want. You seem to really amuse my mother.” With that, he left. The door closed in front of her face.

                “So much for being civil!” she hissed under her breath.

 

                Lunch was awkward. Jieun tried to chew her salad slowly, avoiding any crunching sounds that would ruin the atmosphere.

                It seemed like Myungsoo couldn’t take it either, so he finally spoke.

                “I’m going out today.” Jiyoung and Jieun looked up at him. “What?” said Myunsoo, confused.

                His mom cracked a smile. It seemed like she got an interesting idea.

                “That’s good dear. Why don’t you tour Jieun around the city? I’m sure she would love that.” She said too enthusiastically.

                “No.” He replied nonchalantly.

                “Great! It’s settled then! Enjoy your tour sweetie!” She smiled in victory while caressing Jieun’s arms in excitement.

                “Wait—what?”

                “Actually, I’m planning to find a bookstore. I can go by myself. I’m sure it’s easy to find.” Jieun chimed in, determined to avoid being with Myungsoo in any way possible.

                “Heard that mom?” He said as he stood from his chair. Jieun rolled her eyes. She was irritated by him, his presence, his smug face, and smug beautiful face at that. But she could not come to a conclusion that she hated him completely.

Her bangs are now covering her face. She was facing down at her plate in utter silence.

                Myungsoo somehow noticed her frown. Not knowing why, he felt sorry for the girl. Deep inside him, he knew she was not just some other girl. She was someone you can just randomly find. He didn’t know how to put it. For sure, he was confused but he ignored the idea. It was giving him a headache.

                “Fine,” he finally said. Jieun looked up at him. Their eyes met for a split second before Myungsoo looked away.  He examined her face when she was looking away from him and he felt relieved, relieved that this girl he was gazing at was not sad anymore. Why would he think that to a mere stranger? That, he didn’t know. It has been so long since he last remembered feeling this way.

                                                                                *********

                “Wow!” Jieun exclaimed. They were now in the Libreria Acqua Alta, a bookshop in Venice, quite a hidden spot but definitely worth the find.

                “Yeah, wow!” comes Myungsoo’s sarcastic reply. Jieun rolled her eyes. She traced the old books piled up in the tables. She was excited and Myungsoo was kind of amused.

                 Aside from that, he noticed that Jieun was struggling carrying her guitar in her back.

                 “Ji--- HEY! Why did you bring that thing? It’s a hassle. We are not going on a concert. What is wrong with you?” The boy sounded irritated.

                 “What thing? This is a guitar, my only guitar and my favourite at that. Quit being a grandma! What IS wrong with YOU?” she remarked slamming the book she was previously handling.

                  That was something personal, Myungsoo thought.  To avoid the awkward feeling, he backed away and pretended to look at other books, until Jieun was out of sight.

                  Jieun continued to browse the bookshop. She was amazed at how some of the books there was older than her, older than her parents. Though her parents don’t allow her, Jieun loved adventures, even as a child, she would pretend that she was a great traveller, and then she wrote songs about them.

                 “Honeymoon?” the lady who looked like the owner, asked Jieun. Heat began to rise in her cheeks. Though Myungsoo was not there to see it, she was embarrassed.

                 “No, No, no!” She disagreed desperately, hoping Myungsoo was out of earshot.

                 “Oh, I’m sorry.” The lady giggled and left.

                 “Where the hell is that guy?” Jieun thought as she noticed that he was nowhere in her sight. Jieun looked around frantically. She didn’t know that place. She didn’t know how they got there and for sure she didn’t know how to get out of there alone.

                  She hissed under her breath thinking that Myungsoo ditched her. Upset, she went out of the bookshop and looked for him. “Where could he be?” she mumbled to herself. She had been roaming around for a few minutes but still she could not find the car. She felt so stupid. How could she not find the way back? Right then she realized that she entered the wrong pathway.

                  Myungsoo on the other hand, had coffee in his hands, one for each. He looked around and can’t find a single shadow of Jieun. His heartbeat started to rise, now anxious of where the girl could be. He put the coffee down a table and rushed to and from different aisles in the bookshop.

                  He grabbed the shoulder of one girl that looked like her from the back, same long wavy hair and same figure as well. Only to find out that it wasn’t her, but a petite Italian woman who was not so amused of what he just did.

                  “ Cosa vuoi?!” The lady hissed.

                  “Mi scuso,” he apologized.

                   He was losing hope. He felt responsible for whatever could happen to Jieun.

                                       **************

                  

                    “I just simply fail at everything. Damn it!” Jieun stomped her foot in defeat. She slowly slid in a wall, crouching down, hugging her legs and burying her face within her knees. She started to cry. She cried because she was lost, she cried because she was ditched, she cried simply because everything she does was just utterly stupid.

                     Then, she heard someone running along the pavement, but she refused to look who it was. She did not care. Then there was panting. It felt so close that she then had to look up. She stared at a familiar leg, she knew just a week or so ago. She trailed her gaze up and saw a breathless Myungsoo, tired from running.

                     Jieun was relieved, beyond relieved. She was happy he was there. She couldn’t help it and she hugged him. She hugged him tight.

                     Myungsoo was surprised at the sudden skin ship. At first he hesitated, but he decided to awkwardly pat Jieun’s back to comfort her.

                     “I was so scared,” she sobbed in his chest. “I got lost. . . and I didn’t know what to do. I thought I would never find you.”

                     “I was so scared,” she repeated.

                     “I know,” was all Myungsoo could spit out. He hugged her tighter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

************************************************************

Sorry it took so long to update :( I have been really busy with school stuff lately. I hope you understand. No worries! I will update again tomorrow to make it up to you guys. Thank you for sticking with me and my story. Hope you like it.

 

What do you think of this chapter? Comment below :) It would be very appreciated.

Love you guys!

 

P.S. Libreria Acqua Alta is a real bookshop in Venice but the lady owner was purely fictional.

        And that wrong pathway thingy, that was made up too. I haven't gone to Venice so yeah.