ONE

Peach

 

Jieun sat in a seat by the window. An airplane is one thing, but heights? She despised them. She’s not a very avid fan of travelling because of this. She shuffled anxiously in her seat. It wasn’t that big, she was not booked in first class or anything. She in air and then exhaled slowly. ‘I can do this’ She thought, as she played with the piece of jewellery in her neck with her delicate fingers.

She moved again, this time looking away from the window. ‘Am I doing the right thing? What in the world was I thinking? I need to see a shrink’ She pondered. Saying goodbye to her parents was not a piece of cake you see.

 

The night before the flight. . .

                Jieun finished packing all her stuff. She didn’t have much. Just one bright red suitcase and her favourite guitar and she’s good to go. She stared at them for a while, contemplating whether she did the right choice. Was there even anything to choose from? She knew she was being too rash but she had to try.

                She is now wearing a plain white t-shirt and some old sweatpants she used to wear when she was in high school. She walked over her desk and opened some drawers. “Now where did I put my notebook?” She mumbled to herself.

                She pulled the last drawer and there it was, her favourite notebook. Was it a diary? Maybe. Jieun ripped off a page neatly and placed the notebook below the paper, grabbed a pen and started to write.

Mom and Dad, “Wait, scratch that. It’s too informal.”

She ripped another page and started again.

Dear Mom and Dad,   “Ugh! So not me!”

She finally decided to make it simple and started over again.

To Mom and Dad:

                I know you might be wondering why I am sending you a cheesy letter but hey it’s better than an e-mail right? You guys never check your e-mails anyway. You must be really disappointed because I didn’t tell you in person. I knew you are not going to approve. I know you care too much about me and I just wanted to let you know that I’m leaving for Venice. I’m trying to be a great daughter that you guys are proud of. I won’t be there long though. I don’t plan to, just a few days actually. At least that is what the package tour said. I just wanted to find myself, breathe some fresh air, I guess. I don’t really know. I’m looking for something but I don’t know what it is yet. I hope you understand.

Love,

Lee Jieun

 

“There! That should do it.” She folded the paper into three equal parts and placed it in an empty envelope.

She laid in her bed and slowly dozed off.

The next morning, she was ready.

She gripped on the handle of her suitcase, a little too tightly. She hung her guitar over her shoulder and left her room. This was her first time going to a place she barely heard of, completely alone.

 Jieun placed the letter for her parents on top of the table near the door. She situated it in a way that it would be easily seen when they went in later.

She sighed deeply before she closed the door behind her and left for the airport.