FOUR

Peach

“It’s Jiyoung by the way,” she said cutting the awkward silence in the car. Jieun never thought in a million years to just go and live with a stranger. She was nervous but she felt safe.

“Eh?”

“My name, I’m Jiyoung. We talked earlier but I never mentioned my name. I just thought maybe you are curious,” she gave her a small smile.

“Oh. Jieun, Lee Jieun,” Jiyoung nodded. The rest of the car ride was silent, until Jieun spoke. She couldn’t stand it.

“Hey, thank you. For… you know, doing this.” Jieun tried her best to express her gratitude. “I swear I’m leaving tomorrow as soon as I can get a ticket, I’m off your hair forever,” she continued.

“No no no. I am actually glad to have you. You can stay as long as you like. I’ve always wanted a daughter, not that I don’t love my son. I don’t know, I guess it just seems fun having to dress her up and talk about boys. Stuff like that. I never get to do that with my son though.”

Right then Jieun realized that this was the kind of mother she wanted. Just like what she said. Her mother barely talks to her. If she does, it’s the same thing. Jieun you should do this. .  .do that. . . She got tired of all of it.

Jieun managed to smile.

“We’re here. My son is going to like you,” she doubted that though. The car pulled over in a small garage. The house from the outside was beautiful. It wasn’t big. It was enough for a small family. Jieun always wanted to have a home like this, so homey and vintage. The front of the house had a small patio, that she adored so much. She imagined writing a song in that exact place.

“Come in! Don’t be shy,” She waved her hand signalling Jieun to come over. “My son must be home. The lights are on,” she said barely audible for Jieun to hear, as she placed her purse in the couch. ‘Cozy,’ Jieun thought about the house. The house was full of antique vases and paintings. Everything seemed vintage and expensive, she wanted to touch them but she resisted because she was afraid she would break it.

“Come on sweetie. Your room is upstairs, next to my son’s. It’s pretty small, I hope you don’t mind. It’s cozy though. We barely use that room, except when we have some of my son’s girlfriends sleep over. Usually they just sleep in his room.”

Jieun looked at her when she mentioned girlfriends.

“Oh no, I talked too much. Sorry about that.”

“No it’s fine. I could sleep in the couch actually. I’ll just be here over night anyway, so.” Jieun said with a smile. She meant it. Jiyoung was kind enough just to let her stay in her house, she was gratified.

“No, no! I insist!” She pleaded.

“Uh okay, But I promise I’ll leave as soon as I can.”

“You can stay as long as you want.”

“Let me just put my stuff in the guest room.”

“All right then. Go up and change, you are drenched, you’ll get a cold. I’ll make dinner.” Jiyoung smiled her motherly smile. Jieun realized that she was glad she came with her.

“Right, I’ll be down in a while, and hey. . . thanks . .  for everything.”Jieun held Jiyoung’s hand, while giving her a heartfelt smile.

“No big deal, sweetie. Oh and if you see my son upstairs, tell him to have dinner. “

“Mmm,” Jieun nodded.

‘His son?’ Jieun thought as she was climbing the stairs with her suitcase in her hands and the guitar on her back. Jiyoung never mentioned his son’s name though. Jieun was curious. Jiyoung said that his “girlfriends” sleep over. How many are they? ‘He must be a womanizer’ Jieun thought.

The second level of the house was a bit modern, maybe because her son spends most of his time here. Classic painting hung on the wall though, totally contrasting the edgy, modern furniture. It seemed to Jieun that she was inside another house.

“Which door is it again?” She said to herself. Jieun remembered that Jiyoung never mentioned which room. The second level had three rooms, one for his son, one for the guest room and one for the common bathroom.

She opened the middle door and saw the bathroom. She sighed. She felt nervous. What if she opens Jiyoung’s son’s room? That would be awkward.

She is now left with two doors to open.

“Left or right?” She considered. ‘Left’ she thought. Left was always her lucky side or at least she thought so.

Jieun slowly twisted the knob and opened the door.

She was surprised at what she saw. Jieun was shocked to every last bit of hair in her body. The two people snapped their heads towards her direction. She felt heat rising in her cheeks as she saw something she had never seen before.

“What the?” hissed the boy lying on the bed.

“Who is she?” asked the lady on top of him, almost . Jieun guessed she was Italian.

“I—i—I’m sorry, I just—I thought. Sorry!” She slammed the door behind her a little too loudly.

“I guess left isn’t lucky after all. That must be her son and one of his “girlfriends”.”

While Jieun still has her back on the door, it slowly opened. She backed away and turned her back on the man who just went out of the room, topless.

“Who the hell are you?” he said in fluent Italian. Jieun barely knew Italian. She didn’t understand a word he was saying.

“I came to tell you dinner is ready?” she tried covering for herself. It wasn’t entirely a lie though.

 Jieun was silent for a moment until the man grabbed her arm, leading her downstairs, the Italian lady following them.

“Let go! It hurts!” Jieun pleaded to him. He seemed familiar to her. It was like she saw him before.

“You’re Korean?” He asked, confusion in his face. Jieun nodded.

They reached the kitchen. He was slowly loosening her grip. Jieun could still see his torso, closer now than before. Jieun was amazed by his milky white skin and abs to top it off. She looked away embarrassed at what she was seeing.

“What the hell is this?” he almost shouted at his mother.

Jiyoung looked back at him and then to Jieun.

“I see you two have met! How exciting!” she mused, clasping both her hands together.

“Who is she?”

“Jieun, this is my son Myungsoo. Myungsoo, this is Jieun. She came from Korea!” she said still smiling, like she won the lotto or something.

“This isn’t a least bit amusing mom! Why is she here? Is she a relative?”

“No, I found her in the café. Something came up and she has nowhere to go.”

“We are not a charity house,” he glared at Jieun.

“I can hear you, you know, I’m still here,” interrupted Jieun. “Look, I’m sorry I um interrupted your uh. . .” Jieun waved her hands around trying to think of the least awkward word to say. “. . . affair. I’ll leave tomorrow. I just need a place to spend the night.”

“She’s staying here as long as she needs. Deal with that L. She’s our visitor so be nice. ”

Myungsoo shot a piercing glare towards Jieun. She is certain he was fuming inside but he dismissed it.

Jieun gave him an apologetic smile and he softened a bit.

He left the kitchen and back to his room, Isabella, the Italian lady, now gone.

Jiyoung caressed jieun’s back.

“He’ll get used to it,” she grinned. “He’s not used to having visitors. He’s a bit cold but it’s easy to find his sweet spot.”

Why was she saying this to her? Jieun couldn’t care less though. She just wanted a place to stay. She thought that she doesn’t need to get along with him. Any connections with him could be a disaster waiting to happen.