TEN

Peach

"Well, that was weird," Jieun said as she closed the door behind her. They were in the hotel room, a few blocks away from where Jieun lived. The room was not as big as you would expect from someone who was rich back in South Korea. Jieun sat down on the bed and untangled her hair from the tight bun she had been wearing the whole day and combed it with her petite fingers.

 

"I know right?" Her friend answered. She sat next to Jieun on the bed and let out a deep sigh. "I swear I have never seen him, like ever." She raised her palms up signifying that she is speaking the truth. Jieun believed her best friend. Who wouldn't?

 

"Why does he know your name then?" Jieun was curious, she stared deep into her eyes searching for some answers but Suzy quickly looked away.

 

"I don't know. I'm trying to remember but I can't seem to find him in my memory."

 

"Hmmm. It was pretty intense back there, the way he looked at you." Suzy just shrugged. "How about you give me a tour before we go home?" She obviously changed the subject.

 

"We?"

 

"Yes, we. I went here to get you. What did you expect?"

 

"I mean, I would but not now. I can't leave them here."

 

"Who? Oh," Suzy understood what she meant. "You just met them Jieun-ah. There can't be any serious attachment between you and that family. You need to go home. Believe me, your mom is worried sick about you."

 

"I doubt that."

 

"Well, its true. She was just trying to test how far you could go without her. She is worried. I'm telling the truth. Have I ever lied to you?"

 

Jieun looked at Suzy for a long time, contemplating whether she should go back to where she belonged or stay a bit longer. She hasn't even finished her song yet. Remembering the song made her more frustrated at herself. She was on her way to the door but Suzy called on to her.

 

"Think about it. I'll be waiting at the airport tomorrow. I hope you will make the right choice Jieun-ah."

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jieun was walking back to the house now. A peculiar man was sitting on the sidewalk close to the door. That sting on her nose assured her that the man was drunk. She hated the smell. Jieun wrinkled her nose, as she tried to block the horrible scent as she walked a little bit closer. The closer she got, the more familiar the man seemed to her eyes.

 

It was Myungsoo. It was the man who rarely showed any emotion, sitting by the sidewalk, sobbing. She never saw Myungsoo on that state ever. When she rerally thought about it, the truth was, she never really knew him at all. There he was putting on his mouth every last drop of alcohol on the bottle he was holding.

 

Tear-stained eyes looked up at Jieun. What struck her the most was the next thing he did. He laughed. He laughed so hard she was worried.

 

"YOU! Everything was fine until you came!" He pointed at her. Jieun was in awe. Her heart stopped for a second as those words came out of his mouth like daggers. " I'm seeing dead people!!"

Jieun came closer. She wanted to hug him but she couldn't. "You're talking nonsense right now. Let's go up."

 

"NO! This is my house!"

 

"I know. You should go back in."

 

"I saw her! She was there! In front of me! You can't trust anyone anymore!"

 

"What are you talking about?" Jieun came even more closer. He reeked of the smell Jieun hated the most but at that moment she could not care less.

 

"You know what I'm talking about!!"

 

"I really don't. Why are you blaming me?! What did I do?"

 

Right then Myungsoo lost his conciousness. Jieun rushed immediately to his side.

 

"Suzy's....alive. They lied to me," were the last words he heard from him that night.