Chapter 3

My Angel of Darkness

***At the Beach***

Rainie parks her red BMW convertible and slowly climbs out. She took a deep breath and heads toward the cliff.

Mike arrives at the beach and parked his yellow Ferrari next to a BMW. He took a deep breath. The beach was always his favorite part of this world. He saw a familiar figure ahead; it was the girl he saw every night when he was on duty. He would always toss stars down from the sky just for her. He knew the humans called them Meteors and they like to make wishes on them. Sometime when he’s in a good mood, he would help make their wishes come true. She always looks so happy when she sees them. He started to follow her.

Mike: do you mind if I sit here too?

Rainie: not at all.

They sit quietly without a word for a long time.

Mike: isnt this beautiful? The sky, the water, and the sunset! Its so peaceful. I never saw a sunset before.

Rainie: really?

Mike: cos I usually work around this time.

Rainie: oh, but I think its prettier when it gets dark.

Mike: why is that? He was surprised.

Rainie: cos, you dont have to pretend to be happy anymore and no one can see the sadness on your face in the dark.

(I can) Mike said in his head.

Mike: I never thought of it that way. I guess I should take a good look tonight.

Rainie: you should. With that she smiled.

Mike: you have a beautiful smile, you should smile more often.

Rainie: thanks, but I should get going.

Mike: oh, I guess Ill see you around.

Rainie: yea. She said and gave him another smile.

Rainie got up and started to leave; she suddenly turns around said: Nice meeting you!

Mike watched her go and smiles to him self. There was a funny feeling in his heart.

By the time Rainie got home Ariel was at the door waiting for her.

Ariel: your finally home, I have been waiting for hours. You’ll never guess what happened. There was this really cute guy who came to our door hey are you listening?

Rainie didnt answer she just kept walking toward her room.

Ariel followed her in and sits on the side of her bed.

Ariel: whats wrong?

Rainie was still silent and stared out the window.

Ariel took her should and shook her: come on Rainie your scaring me, talk to me.

Rainie finally open : Im fine; I just dont feel like talking.

Ariel: its b/c of Shawn right? What did he do this time? You better break up with him. That guy is nothing but trouble.

Rainie: I dont know what to do, I love him.

Ariel: Rainie, you deserve better. He never calls or takes you out. Hes only around when he needs money from you.

Rainie: Ariel please. I just want to be alone right now.

Ariel: alright, Ill be in the living room if you need anything. She walks towards the door.

Rainie: Ariel, your juice is in the car.

Ariel* smile*: thanks babe. Thats why I love you.

Rainie took a deep breath and walked towards the window. At the same time Mike was at his window looking out. Their eyes met and they both smiled in surprise.

The next day Rainie woke up early and rushed into the kitchen. She cleaned every area in the house and prepared a great breakfast. Ariel walks in to the kitchen yawning and rubbing her eyes.

Ariel: what are you doing? Its only 7:00.

Rainie: just doing some spring-cleaning.

Ariel: but its summer. I am really worried now. Rainie you need some rest. Ill take over.

Rainie: its ok. I’m almost done. Let’s have breakfast first.

***10 minutes later ***

Rainie: all done. Im gonna go shopping. She ran out of the door before Ariel could even respond.
This continued for about a week.

Rainie walks out of the house and was heading toward her car when her eyes got blurry and she felt like her legs could not support her anymore. She collapsed and felt to the floor. She saw from the corner of her eyes a guy came running towards her.

Mike was coming out of his house when he saw Rainie. She was looking nice as usual but he notices her face was looking very tired. Just then he saw her collapsed to the ground, without a second thought he ran towards her.

When Rainie opened her eyes she was in her room, Ariel and Mike was by her side.

Rainie: what happened?

Mike: you fainted I brought you back here.

Rainie: thanks.

Mike: how are you feeling?

Rainie: Im fine. I was just a little dizzy.

Ariel: I m not gonna let you leave this house until you’re better.

Rainie: yes, mom.

They all giggled.

Mike: I guess shes fine cos she can still joke.

Thats when Rainies cell rang.

Rainie: can you please hand me my purse please.

Mike: sure.

Rainie: thanks. Hello?

Man: its Shawn; give me your credit card #, qiuck!!!!

Rainie: what? Why? Where are you right Now?
Shawn: My credit card got canceled so just give me yours. Hurry up!!

Although Shawn was trying hard to cover it up, Rainie could hear a womans voice through the phone.

Woman: Shawn, tell your sis to hurry up.

Rainie: (sis!!) Shawn, tell me you love me.

Shawn: come on, stop this non-sense. Just give me the #, Ill call you later. Come on were best friends right?

Rainie: friends, just friends? Shawn, are you afraid to say my name cos your new girl’s there. You know what I am sick and tired of you using me!

Ariel: you tell him whos the boss.

Rainie hanged up and rests her head on the bed. Mike stands next to her. No one talked for a long time.

Mike: was that your Boyfriend?

Rainie: ex-Boyfriend. Its over. Do I look stupid to you?

Mike: no, of course not! Why would you say that?

Rainie: then how come I always fall for a guy like that?

Mike: maybe you just havent met the right guy yet.

Rainie: you dont understand this is not the 1st time. All the guys I dated always said we dont have anything in common and that I dont know how to make a guy happy. I’m too boring for them that they gotta find someone else.

Mike: thats not true. You are a great girl. They are just jerks; they dont know how lucky they are to have a girl like you. trust me they are gonna regret it.

Rainies eye was filling out with tears, she try to hold it back. Its too embarrassing to lose herself in front of a stranger.

Mike: let it go, youll feel better. I m not gonna laugh at you.

The weird thing is Rainie feels comfortable around him; it was like they knew each other for a long time. When tears rolled down her face, Mikes heart ached. He took her in to his arms and she rested her head on his shoulder.

Mike: let it all out. Everything’s going to be ok.

Mike could feel Rainies tears soaking through his shirt, his skin and into his heart.