Chapter 3: Last Will

Wanderlust

 

 

“Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat.” 
― Ralph EllisonInvisible Man

(\__/) 
(='.'=) 
(")_(")

 

Yongguk’s POV

            Jieun’s grandfather greeted me with a smile today, the same one that he’d have on his face any time I came to visit him. He seemed to enjoy my company more than I could imagine, but I understood that about him. Living in a medical cover up of solitary confinement didn’t leave many windows open for opportunities; not even literally. Today was extra stuffy despite the weather predicting rain. There was no way the window would budge an inch to let any fresh air in. Every day, in this room, it was just me and him, surrounded by pure white walls. I hated this building more than anywhere else, and I was certain he felt the same too. Yet, there was a reason that I kept on coming back to see him here.

            “You’re a little early,” He continued grinning, hiding his shaking hands under his fuzzy blanket. I could tell that his vibrations grew more violent over the past week, but he looked at me with an expression of… happiness, as if he was oblivious to the deterioration his body was going through.

            “Am I?” I chuckled, returning his smile as I grabbed the metal stool from behind the door and seated myself at his bedside. He sat up straighter, and then looked me dead in the eye. I could tell that today he really did have something important to say to me. Perhaps it was something that I’d been hopelessly waiting to hear ever since I met him, so I opened my eyes wider, giving him all the attention I had.

            “I’m thankful that you take the time to visit me every day in place of my granddaughter.” He began, clearing his throat and then losing his gaze on my face to the floor. I quickly noticed that diverting his stare helped him concentrate his thoughts.

            “I’m afraid that one day, possibly quite soon; I’ll no longer have my memory. In time, even if you continued to visit, I wouldn’t recognize your face. But I’m not saying this for you to pity me. I have full acceptance of this reality, and I know that my importance in this world is used up.” He continued with a smile, despite opening on such a depressing topic. I, too, knew that his memory would not sustain him until physical death. For him to accept that so quickly was admirable, representative of a man who truly did live the life he had to the fullest.

            “Yongguk,” He suddenly said my name, ensuring that I would hear and consider the words he had to say, “Everything I did in my lifetime was to give the best to my family. I wanted them to have a secure life and financial stability—something I didn’t have when I was growing up. I wanted my successors to live an abundant life, not one of ungrateful self-righteousness. Somehow along the way, they’d lost the ability to cherish life to their uncontrollable human greed for wealth and power. By that time, I was already too old to set them straight, and that may be the only regret I have. Our dear Jieun is the only one who still chooses to follow after my own heart.” I watched him as he spoke, noticing his excessive eye wrinkles and scars on his left cheek. They were proofs that he had lived a valiant life, one filled with real joy and achievement. Every day that I visited him, he would tell me a little bit more about his family and his life before reaching here—the near-end of the road.

            “I have already lost all influence that I have on my family that already abandoned me. Because I am already out of the picture, I can only imagine how hard of a time Jieun is having working at the company. She’s a virtuous young woman with a sincere heart for others. It’s something so precious that society grew ignorant to. My family is in a war with each other right now, and Jieun is alone on the losing side. She’s headstrong, and will never show her strife to anyone, but as her grandfather I know just by looking once.” As his words and thoughts drifted onto Jieun, I saw a new spark in his eyes. He mention of her name brought life into his eyes, enough to fill his dead room with new-found excitement. Did he want to include me in this war of virtues?

            “All strength that I have left lies in my memories. Once they slip from my grasp I will be no more useful than a pebble being kicked along the sidewalk. Yongguk, I believe in your generation’s ability to reset a balance—not just for my family. This may be extremely bold of me for asking, but because time is no longer in my hands I must make this request.” His pupils grew darker; I saw as he looked back into my eyes, “Please, be the support that Jieun needs to win this battle. I’m asking you, Bang Yongguk, to be her guardian angel in my place. This is my last will.” In other words, this was Song Jihoon’s dying wish, that I would support Jieun in this ideological tumultuous war.

            Few days prior to this meeting, he had given me a little insight on Jieun’s whereabouts. For the last four years she had been the international relations advisor for their family’s hotel company, her main branch was located in Vancouver. The rest of her family stayed in Seoul and took care of the branches around Korea, mainly in Seoul and Jejudo. It was surprising that she and I were the same age. I was older by a little over one month.

            “If you are willing, I could use the last of my corporate authority to give you a solid position in Jieun’s main branch.” He informed, in a more business-like voice. After hearing him speak like that, I gained an even higher level of respect for him. It didn’t matter that his limbs were shaking involuntarily due to his illness. So long as he hadn’t lost his cognition, he was a corporate genius.

            This was a serious offer. His final offer. It wasn’t a decision I could make on the spot, but I knew I had to think fast. Jieun did not even know me, and the chances of her remembering my face from our brief meeting in Freeview were slim to none. No one sane, after coming here, would want to remember the crippling ambience that came with the bleached walls and heavy scent of cheap detergent. I didn’t imagine she would be an exception. However, having this new adventure given unto me set off a shock of adrenaline that I so very needed in my life. Surviving in Canada was a huge risk, but conveniently, language wouldn’t be an inhibitor for my endeavors. My English was probably laughable to the face of a native speaker, but I knew it better than the average Korean, and that encouraged me.

            “Do you need… time to think it over?” He asked after a long silent pause. He stuttered at the word ‘time’. I knew it was a sensitive subject, something that I wouldn’t dare to ask for.

            “I’ll go.” 

A/N: Sorry it's a short chapter! I'm all done my exams now so I promise I can update way more often! i also did more planning for this plot over the weekend so the details won't be improvised as I write. This is a short chapter because I didn't feel like writing today but I felt like I should update ^^ It's probably boring but it's crucial for the plot (: I have a lot planned, please anticipate it!