Chapter 10: Consuming Darkness

Wanderlust

 

Yongguk’s POV

            I hadn’t seen Jieun often lately since she’s been getting ready for her big business trip to Australia. She’s been in and out of the Vancouver hotel all week with meetings to sort out. An entire month passed without seeing or hearing from Daehyun again, though he could’ve been contacting Jieun through other means I was unaware about. Basically, he was out of my range of knowledge, and things became a whole lot more peaceful here.

            “Are you leaving now?” I asked Hyosung who had a box full of binders and other trinkets from her desk beside Jieun’s office. If it were anyone else they would’ve thought Hyosung got laid off, but in reality Jieun offered her a paid vacation for the duration of Jieun’s absence from Vancouver. Her vacation started one week before the departure date, and today was her last day before leaving.

            “Not yet but soon. I’m just going to finish loading some things in my car.” She smiled and then headed to the underground parking. Jieun didn’t come to the hotel at all today. I didn’t know her schedule inside out, but I did know that there were some very crucial meetings she had to attend today. Maybe they were running late and she decided to grab lunch before coming back. I leaned against one of the pillars in the lobby, seeing as there were not many customers for me to attend to, I took the day easy. As I fiddled with my name tag, I saw the shadow of someone entering through the front doors.

            “Welcome to—“My mood immediately dropped when I saw Daehyun’s arrogant face.

            “We need to have a talk.” He interjected, and began walking down one of the first floor hallways. The first floor rooms were reserved for the staff housing program and other VIP guests. Jieun’s room was at the end of the hallway. Daehyun stopped in front of room 18 and opened the door. The room was currently vacant, as the last occupant moved out after finding a new job with better pay. We both walked in, noticing how eerily quiet and empty it was. The drapes were closed, cutting any natural light from mixing with the artificial.

            “Jieun’s not here to see you.” I informed immediately, hoping that it was enough to force him to leave. He shouldn’t have another reason to be here anyway, and I technically wasn’t lying.

            “I have something to say to you.” Daehyun’s arms were crossed as he spoke with scrutiny in his eyes. I wasn’t intimidated by him in the least.

            “You may think that you’re the king here because Jieun trusts you enough to put you in charge after her, but you and I both know that there’s something you can’t hide forever.” Daehyun cockily threatened, raising one brow slightly to emphasize his point. I should’ve known that a dirty chaebol like him would do background checks, but that still didn’t scare me.

            “You don’t know anything.” I chuckled, unfazed by his overconfidence. I could see how my lack of care was starting to irritate him, and I enjoyed it.

            “Perhaps not, but I know enough to believe that you’re not good enough for Jieun.” He clenched his teeth as he spoke.

            “You’re not in the position to choose who is and isn’t right for Jieun.” I remarked. Each person has his or her own flaws, and though I can overcome mine there’s no way that Daehyun could put aside his ego to truly care for Jieun as a human being instead of a corporate power source.

Daehyun’s POV

            He thought that I was unworthy to decide who was right for Jieun? I knew Jieun all my life. I knew what she liked and hated, and she told me everything as we grew up. Who did he seriously think he was? He was just a stranger trying to force his way into Jieun’s life.

            “Unlike you, Yongguk, I’m not crazy.” I snapped, seeing his calm and controlled expression grow a little wilder. I’d hit definitely hit a nerve with that last comment, and I couldn’t hold back my smirk. Suddenly, I felt a little regret for pushing his buttons. His eyes filled with hate, and his hands were clenched into a tight fist. Was he going to punch me? His arms were shaking uncontrollably, but he didn’t make a sound.

            “Crazy, huh?” Yongguk murmured, almost inhumanely. I felt the need to take a step back, but when I did, he suddenly grabbed a glass vase from the table and it at the light above us. It was the only light bulb that lit this entire room, and the moment the vase made contact, it shattered. Glass was now everywhere, separating Yongguk from me. Though I couldn’t see the small pieces, I knew they were there. Everything around me was sheer blackness, and the drapes were so thick not even the afternoon sunrays could penetrate through. All around me, everything looked exactly the same. My legs were shaking, my head turning in different directions desperately trying to adjust to the darkness. I’d grown up with night blindness. No matter how hard I tried to open my eyes bigger, I knew that I wouldn’t be able to see anything.

 

Yongguk’s POV

            Daehyun thought I was crazy? Somehow his comment amused me. I was sure that he was too prideful to admit that he was wrong. No, I wasn’t crazy, but if I pretended I was, he could have a good scare. I wasn’t crazy, but I was sure good at pretending to be. After keeping up the suspense for a while, I could see that Daehyu was already shaking. Was this the extent of his hot headedness? This was all I knew chaebols to be anyway. All talk, and nothing more.

            When he least expected it, I grabbed a vase from the nearest table. It was identical to all the others I’d seen in every room so it probably wasn’t too valuable or pricey. In just one motion, I threw it straight at the light bulb and listened to the glass shatter as the room filled with complete darkness. Within seconds my eyes adjusted and I could see Daehyun’s dark silhouette shaking uncontrollably.

            “You’re a psychopathic murderer!” Daehyun cried out in fear. I was just giving him a good scare. I had no intentions of killing him, and I knew for myself that I wasn’t a psychopath.

            “Tsk tsk, if I really were one, you wouldn’t be alive right now.” Daehyun’s knees gave in and he was now crouching on the floor, being consumed by his own fear. Perhaps he still had some pride left, because he wasn’t shouting for help. There were piles of mixed broken glass from the light bulb and vase surrounding him. Not once did he give me eye contact. Instead, he searched all around the room with his eyes, his gaze not falling on anything in particular. Maybe he was going hysterical. I sighed, concluding this as a successful prank and stepped towards the door. After taking one last glance at Daehyun, I felt a small pang of guilt. He was at one point the most important person to Jieun, yet I degraded him to such a pathetic level. The vase throwing may have been a little much, but I myself was consumed in my own personal anger towards him. It was already done anyway. I opened the door quickly and walked out.

A/N: Double update yay!! I just felt like writing even after I posted chapter 9 so here it is. Sorry if this chapter was kind of awkward... I tried to make it as natural as I could but drastic events like these don't just happen. It'll make sense as the story progresses ^^;;

Editing Note: Daehyun has a fear of the dark, but it's different from how regular people fear the dark. Daehyun has night blindness meaning biologically, his eyes don't work in poor/no light situations. They are physically unable to adjust to the dark leaving him temporarily blind until a new light source is present. It's more of "fearing what he cannot see" than the dark itself. Night blindness is an actual optical disorder.