Remember

untitled {drabbles compilation}

 

Remember when you first walked as a toddler?
 
Remember when you first called your mom umma?
 
Remember when your only problem in the world is choosing a crayon to color over the pages of your coloring book?
 
No, Baekhyun doesn't remember. No, it's not because he's ignorant. It's because it's been a long time and he can't really remember anything that's happened a long long time ago. No one ever does. Unless of course you're reminded, but that's about it. You know you kind of have knowledge about it, kind of could  picture yourself doing those things as a toddler, but you don't remember the feeling.
 
Now, do you remember when you first scraped your knee when you fell off your scooter?
 
Do you remember how it was like being bullied by a few of your classmates who were taller than you? They're telling you that you're too small and that you just don't fit in. But do you remember you stood on your own two feet a couple of years later, telling them off because you can't stand seeing a friend of yours getting bullied?
 
Do you remember Park Chanyeol, the one you defended from the bullies? That tall classmate in middle school who couldn't stand up for himself that you had to defend him at all costs?
 
Those, Baekhyun remembers. He remembers that first pain he endured falling off that scooter. He remembers controlling his tears and sobbing like a wreck a minute later as his mom's cleaning off his wound. He remembers being bullied, those hateful words they said. But he couldn't ever forget his hero moment and befriending Park Chanyeol, his best friend.
 
 
 
 
 
Now how about you, do you remember when you first attended middle school?
 
Remember how you were so insecure of your long limbs and unruly eyes?
 
Remember when you scored the lowest in class on a quiz?
 
To be honest, Chanyeol kind of doesn't. He's had a lot of experiences in life he had to go through, ones that made him stronger and made him believe that giving up is not an option. If anything, he remembers his chances, second and third ones that made him do so much better than on the first try. It's kind of still there inkling in his mind every other time, the uncomfortable feeling when you've done your worst, but that's about it because he doesn't remember the feeling of losing and letting life's little failures get him down.
 
Do you remember, however, when your best friend needed to go away? Said he'll have to migrate and study to a place called America?
 
Do you remember the silence of everyday?
 
Do you remember making friends with new people, if only for a while. Sehun and Luhan and Kyungsoo? How about Jongin?
 
Now, those are memories Chanyeol remembers. He remembers loneliness creeping up on him when Baekhyun went away--remembers how it was so hard to make friends for a time being, afraid that he might get bullied if Baekhyun wasn't anywhere near. He remembers the silence--the ticking of the clock, the sound of the exhaust, and his pencil tapping on his study table as he reads his school books. He remembers how he made friends with Sehun and Luhan, the duo with the clingy multi-color haired guy. He remembers Kyungsoo and doe eyes. And Jongin, of course, even if he was sorta an but not really. 
 
 
 
 
 
But he still remembers Baekhyun the most and how his every word stuck in Chanyeol's mind.
 
'Chanyeol, you're my best friend and I won't ever forget you. I promise I'll be back after a few years when our family has settled our debts. I don't know what debts are Chanyeol, but my father said it's because of those we need to go. Live a little more when I'm away, will you? Make some friends and don't let the bullies get to you. Baekhyun will come back. I will come back. I'll find you.'
 
 
 
 
 
And true enough, Baekhyun came back.
 
If not, then why is he standing right in front of Chanyeol now? Except, his hair is dyed blonde now and Baekhyun's a little taller than they last met a few years ago. Chanyeol's still taller, however.
 
Chanyeol kind of has the urge to frown, because he still remembers Baekhyun's smile a few years back with his trademark crescent eyes. The frown kind of doesn't come, however, because Baekhyun all of a sudden flashes him that familiar smile he's longed to see for years, had a lack of in those years waiting.
 
Baekhyun just couldn't stop smiling anymore, because he appreciates every effort Chanyeol has made in not forgetting something he's told him a long time ago. But those are just words. So how about me? What about Baekhyun?
 
"Chanyeol, do you remember me?"
 
Of course Chanyeol does.
 
If not, then why is he walking closer? Why is he hugging the smaller man in front of him tighter than the usual hugs he gives away to just any other? Why is he putting his head at the crook of his neck? Why does he say, "I missed you. Don't ever leave me again, Baek."?
 
Baekhyun only nods in agreement as they're hugging, whispers to Chanyeol, "I won't, because I'm back for good. I'm back for you."
 
 
 
 
 
idk if you've noticed, but i really love ldr's. what i write's not exactly ldr, but close to it these days anyway. i like the feeling of seeing people after months or years i haven't. like idk okay. i just do.