Thank you, Destiny.

Under the Tree called 'Destiny'

 

            - Mi Yeo’s POV -

Gasping for breath, I stopped at the gates of our old school. School vacation was ongoing so no students can be seen inside the campus, maybe except from some busy students for some clubs or sort. But who the hell cares if I’m here, all wet and soaked under the rain. My dress is damped too, and I don’t care with my make up. All I need is to go there. I opened the gates and went inside the campus area. I jogged to the school yard and anxiously searched for that tree. Yes, that tree. I know Eunhyuk’s not going to be there, but at least I’m going to somewhere where we were before. At least I’ll feel that he’s there, even if in reality he’s in another church - marrying Han Mi. I smiled a bit when I finally found the tree and run up to it. When I got under the shades of it, I brushed my hand on the trunk and traced the carvings we made when we were in high school. I beamed like a fool at those memories. Looking up, I sighed. This tree grew so much - unlike our relationship. I hung my head low as I cried more. Raindrops fell with my tears - with those memories with him, with everything.

Not sure if I’m tired from the running or tired of hurting, I leaned my back against the trunk and slid down to a sitting position. I hugged my knees close to my chest. With the little space available between them, I snuggled my head.

                - Eunhyuk’s POV -

Raindrops fell as I ran endlessly. I don’t give a damn if my suit is now damped or if people on the streets are shooting looks on me, I just need to go there.

I sighed in some kind of relief when I entered the school premises. Just a few steps and I’m there. Even if she’s not going to be there, I need to be there. Going there brings back happy memories. Being there feels like I’m being with her. Taking my time, I just walked lazily towards the school yard.

Why does it have to end like this? Why does it happen to us? What even happened to ‘us’? I’m the one to blame. I’m the one at fault. I’m the one who started this nightmare. But why is it like I’m not going to be able to wake up from this scary dream - where she and I are apart from each other. Am I going to be forever stuck in this dream?

I stopped in my tracks as I look blankly at the tree. It took me minutes to realize what I am seeing. Is this reality? Did I wake up from that nightmare? I smiled like an idiot, seeing a part of white dress slumped weakly under the tree. I slowly approached the tree, neither wanting to touch her nor talk to her; afraid she might just disappear. I stared at her slouched figure as I crept behind the tree.

                - Mi Yeo’s POV -

I can still hear everything around me even if my heart is crying loudly. I can hear students talking to each other, players jogging around the field, club members running after deadlines. I even heard footsteps approaching me. It’s just a student wandering around. Maybe that student saw me and walked away. Everything is quiet - but my heart.

Even if I wished him to stop loving me, there’s still this part in me wanting to be with him. Even if I’m pushing him away, I still want to be near him. I continued to cry and cry. I wonder when did I have this many liquid inside me and if ever I’m going to tear my tear duct.

“What are you doing there?” a voice from behind spoke. I shot my head up and quickly looked behind me. I smiled when I saw whose voice was that. He’s there, standing behind the tree, peeking at me - like how he did way back before. Immediately, I stood up and faced him. I hugged him tightly. “E-Eunhyuk-ah . . .” I said in between my cries. He hugged me back and trapped me in his arms. “W-what are you doing here? I thought you were married to -“ I continued but he cut me off as he held my chin and let his lips touched mine. He ended the kiss quickly and stared into my eyes. I looked down; not really believing what I’m seeing. He cupped my cheeks and made me look up back onto him. “I’m here now. I . . . I’m not going to leave you again - ever,” he promised as he hugged me again. I responded with a hug also, not letting go of him this time. “Since I’m still in my suit and you in you’re dress, let’s get married. What do you say?” he asked me. I just laughed.

‘Destiny’ is a witness of our love story. No, maybe destiny is the one responsible for our love story. Maybe ‘destiny’ was fated to grow up here and I was meant to sit under here and be asked what I am doing by Eunhyuk - twice.

 

Thank you, Destiny.