Should I?

Under the Tree called 'Destiny'

 

                - Mi Yeo’s POV -

I can’t believe weeks passed by so fast. I’m here sitting in front of a mirror, getting dressed and fixed by everyone here in the room and I’m walking down the aisle in a few. I tried to smile but sadness took over easily. That meeting with Eunhyuk under the tree was eventually our last meeting. I didn’t meet him again after that, nor did he. It’s like we tried to avoid each other after that parting. I wonder what he looks like now in suit. Or is he wearing tuxedo for his wedding? If I could just see him -

No. You shouldn’t Mi Yeo-ssi. Remember, you’re getting married to Siwon. Choi Siwon.

“We have the body of our bride here, but her thoughts are somewhere far away . . .” Sunny, my bridesmaid, proclaimed as she put her hands on my shoulder. I looked at her through the mirror and weakly smiled. “Let me guess: you’re imagining Eunhyuk in his tux or suit waiting at the end of the aisle - in another church?” she guessed. I looked down and sighed heavily. She’s not my best friend for nothing. I just slightly nodded as a reply. “Are you really sure about this wedding?” she seriously asked. I looked at the mirror. I see myself wearing this wedding dress and my hair tied up into a messy bun. I put my hand over Sunny’s and smiled a reassuring one. “There’s nothing I can do huh?” I asked back. “You’re not yet married so . . .” she honestly said. I let out a small laugh. “I don’t want to hurt Siwon,” I admitted defeat. She hugged me from behind and said, “You’re really stubborn, aren’t you? If you don’t want to hurt him, then at least focus on the wedding first and smile.” I nodded at her.

Camera flashes welcomed me when I went off from the car in front of the church. I beamed my smile at them and walked in front of the door. The music went louder when the doors opened. Applause can be heard from the attendees. I looked at them side to side before focusing my sight onto the end of the aisle. Flower girls and the maiden started to walk slowly before me. When it’s my turn, I breathed out heavily and began. As I slowly walked down the aisle, I can see Eunhyuk waiting for me at the end. He looks gorgeous in that white tux and even more gorgeous with that smile plastered on his face. I smiled back at him as he leads his hand out for me to put mine on. My smile slowly fall as Eunhyuk’s image slowly fades away, replaced by Siwon’s smiling figure.

“You’re beautiful, don’t you know that?” he whispered into my ear as he leads me towards the altar. The ceremony started and my mind started to drift off somewhere too. Of course, he’s just my imagination. What made me think that he’s here; waiting for me. A fool Mi Yeo-ssi, that’s what you are. Eunhyuk is in another church - getting married to someone who isn’t me. He’s stating his vows to someone who isn’t me. He’s wearing the ring to someone who isn’t me. Why is it all not me?

I was distracted in my thoughts when Siwon turned me around so we’ll be facing each other. Oh yeah right, here’s the part where he’ll say his vows to me. “Mi Yeo-ssi, I’m here standing right in front you today to . . .” Siwon’s words started to fade away as my mind pictured Eunhyuk smiling at me. But like a flash, Han Mi appeared beside him and he put his arms over her shoulders. Han Mi puts her hands over Eunhyuk’s chest and Eunhyuk happily looked at me - like he’s enjoying it. He slowly leaned his face towards Han Mi and Han Mi tilted her head for the incoming kiss.

“No!” I shouted. Unfortunately, I shouted it for real. They heard it all - the audience, the cameramen, the priest, and even Siwon. My breathing became uneven as I looked at Siwon’s shock face. Tears started shaping in my eyes as I gasped for more air. “I-I’m sorry, Siwon-ssi . . .” I pleaded. “. . . but I can’t go on with this wedding,” I weakly admitted. His grip on my hands tightened as his apologetic eyes search for something in mine. “I-it’s my fault. I-I’m sorry,” I said as I back away and bowed slightly before turning towards the door. I pulled up my skirt a little and started running towards the exit. I don’t care if cameras captured this, or if audience gasps and exclaim their disappointment. I just continued to run.

 

Running to go to ‘somewhere’.